A big decision...

I am considering applying to PA School. Here is my history:

*Graduated with a B.S. in Biology (GPA= 3.54, Sci GPA around 3.2)

*GRE in 2009 - 1040, 4.0 writing

*EMT-B

*Currently certified and working in Neurophysiological Monitoring (CNIM) during spine/ortho and brain surgery

*about $25k in student debt

I am fairly certain that I would be competitive during the application cycle, but my dilemma is that I'm making around 60-65k and on schedule to earn 70-80k within a couple years and I work for a GREAT company that provides excellent patient care. We also average 30-35hr work weeks. I LOVE my job, but with the economy, future of neurological monitoring with the new healthcare situation, and the lack of mobility found within our profession, I am considering PA school very seriously. The only problem is that I am unsure if this is a smart move financially. I have talked to a couple PA's about the profession, but I feel as if they were a little too prideful to tell me the honest potential income to expect as a PA. Both PA's gave me ballpark figures for EM in the East Texas area as being between $110k-130K annually. I notices that this did not agree with any salary information that I could find online. I have a serious career decision to make and would love input from anyone, especially any active PA's. Does taking on more student loan debt/time off of work make sense? What does the future for PA's look like in general?

Thank you for your help, and any comments are welcome!

I completely understand what you are saying, and completely agree. I am young and wanting to make the best decision for myself and my family, and I am just looking for info from some PA's so I can look at all the facts and make the best decision. As much as I would love for the info that I got from the two PA's mentioned to be true, I can't help but feel that it is a little "stretched"

As much as I would love for the info that I got from the two PA's mentioned to be true, I can't help but feel that it is a little "stretched"

Those figures are not stretched for EM. I'm sure you are aware of this, but be careful where u search online for salaries in any profession. My contention is that the vast majority are way off base. According to SEMPA (Society of EM PAs), 50% of EM PAs make 100K+; 24% make between 90-99K. These figures from SEMPA, and other salary reports from AAPA, will be your best best at true numbers. My wife is a newly minted PA working in a rural EM in the South, and there are PAs there easily making in the 115-125 or so range. The higher paying PA (and NP) specialties appear to be in EM, CT surg, Neurosurg and Derm where those salary figures quoted are quite common. But, of course, as with anything else depends on region, spec. etc.

In your case, since you're set to make up to 80K+ in a couple of yrs, prob need to weigh in that lost income + student loan debt to the equation.

I was in Sr. Mgt in the Automotive Industry when I decided to change careers. I took a 80% cut in pay to get HCE to do it and do the pre-reqs (took a 1.5 yrs). Thankfully I got in a program! About 9 months into my program the Auto Industry tanked and I had Former collegues and peers being laid off left and right, and not being able to find a job for 1-2yrs in their profession (same as I had). So I couldn't have timed my decision better I would have been out of work those years I was in PA school anyway.

I knew going into PA school that my first job out I would be earning less than I was making in my former career and remember even talking about in the interview for PA school. But with in 8 months I after graduation I was making the same and 1.5 yrs out I surpassed my former salary and that only includes base pay not OT/Contingent gigs. My friends that were laid off had to take jobs at lower salaries too taking 20-30% pay cuts just to have a job and very little contingent(OT) available. It took me 15 yrs to get to the my former profession salary it took me 8 months as a PA to match it and 1.5 yrs to surpass it. Besides loving being a PA I have much better job security has I had before.

SO if you want to be a PA no matter what their are cost you have to weigh the benefits after graduation to see if it is worth it!

Yes you will have debt when you graduate and yes you can include lost salary into that equation but it is not a hard number (you don't have to pay the lost slary back the debt you do). As far as the debt after graduation this is what I did:

During PA school I was probably had reduced my living expenses to about 25K/yr. Once I graduated and started working said I would try to keep to that same budget (well maybe I went up to 30K/yr I wen ton a trip, bought a nice TV etc... ) I kept a roommate. But I did not by a house, new car etc. Trust me that first job you are still learning allot and it will go by pretty fast (when you get in PA school you'll see how fast it goes by). But after a year 1 year you should be able to pay off at least 50% of you school loans. So some food for thought/

Archived