Do I have any chances?

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to get some advice on whether I have any changes on getting into the program or not. I am going to be graduating from FIU this December with a Bachelors in ART and a minor in Biology. My GPA is horrible (2.63)... =(

I was planning to take some of the pre-reqs next year as well as to get the certificate to become an EMT so i can get the experience. I know my chances are not that good based on what I have been reading but if there is anything I can do can you please let me know? for so long i have been trying to find a career that interests me, and I know this is it but i dont want to get my hopes up!

Thank you in advance.

Andrea.

Andrea that GPA is horrible... All i can suggest is applying to CASAPA pa programs such as Nova, Barry where some applicants might have such a low GPA becuase of all the excess PHYSICS and ORGANIC CHEM grades. Even then a 3.0 is more like it and that is still low. The problem with Miami Dade college is that so many extremely academically initelligent people are going for it that it makes it super competitive. My GPA is 3.6 and I didnt get in last year compared to almost half the class that has a 4.0 GPA i felt like an idiot. But if that GPA cannot be fixed go to EMT and than paramedic and make sure you ACE every Paramedic test so that they can look into that and maybe shift their attention towards how well you did as paramedic. You could try but i dont think you will even get to take the exam with that GPA.

Unfortunately your going to have a very hard sell with a 2.6 art major gpa. This is not a dig on your ba as i have an english degree with an art related minor. Some of my art classes were harder and more time involved than many science classes. However most people do not understand this, and your gpa is much to low for any degree. Your only option would be another 2-3 years of school making straight a grades while accumulating hce. You need to ask yourself if you can do this both mentally and finacially. It is not impossible and there are people on this board who have done it. It will be very challenging however. Time to get very honest with yourself.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Andrea, you and I are somewhat in the same boat, but I believe it IS possible. I will graduating from UCf this year with a 2.8 BUT i am determined to go back & take the necessary pre-reqs and prove myself to be capable of being a PA. If youre like me you really dont have 2-3 more years to dedicate back to schooling and preparing yourself for PA achool. My advice is ACE those pre reqs and start studying for the entrance exam that MDC offers as early as now. have STRONG recommendation letters and A LOT of shadowing hours, that way itll strengthen your application. Its not JUST about GPA, they do look at an applicants overall achievement, and if you can really impress them with what youve done in the year you will take to prepare yourself, then you can get into that interview and absolutely blow them away!

Best of luck to you! & if MDC doesnt work out, I will be applying to out of state PA programs as well. Luckily for you and I, we have completed bachelor degrees, and can appy for master-level PA programs and not just an associates level. :smile:

Thats all very good but with that GPA its unlikely you will get to even take the entrance exam. Letters of recommendation are nothing.... Once you are in the interview you truly get to see how useless they are, they dont even ask you anything about them. Its just all part of the process. Bachelors programs have your CHEM1 CHEM2 and Organic ready along with a good GRE which they have just revised plus add $90,000 or more of student debt. Shadowing hours are good but you dont have to over do it. Shadowing doesnt prove that you can ACE PA school, it just means you followed a P.A. around for sometime and had a bit of fun seeing what P.A.'s do. Good luck you dreamers, i used to think that back in the day until i was struck with reality.

To those with low GPA's dont listen to everyone that tells you that you dont have a chance. Although its true that the majority of those accepted have performed well academically, there are many other factors that come into play. Yes it may be tough, but candidates are considered under multiple guidelines. Refer to those guidelines in the application packet. It may takes multiple attempts but as Wayne Gretzgy said "you miss 100% of the shots you dont take". Best of luck,

Christian

I agree with PAMAC that the situation of someone with a low GPA may be harder than one with a higher GPA, however my point is simply that GPA is not the end all when applying. Obviously if someone has a low GPA and low grades are recent, then the individual obviously isnt prepared for PA school, but if it was in the past with a valid explanation or the person has demonstrated a committment to academia recently (more than just one semester), I think there is something to be said. As someone who got into PA school without the 4.0 GPA over some of those that did, I merely want to point out that it is possible and perseverance and determination is the key. I myself was told by multiple people that it was likely a waste of time to apply or that I couldnt (including faculty at various institutions) however dilligance paid off. Be as proactive as possible, and although it is important to be realistic with expectations, there is nothing wrong with having an optimistic attitude. Good to see ya still on JP, will try and peak in now and then on forum to offer any advise if possible between studying.

• 4 weeks later...

extremely academically initelligent people are going for it that it makes it super competitive. My GPA is 3.6 and I didnt get in last year compared to almost half the class that has a 4.0 GPA i felt like an idiot. OMG to get into a community college this is to funny....... Isn't it just a A.S degree why would anyone settle for less while you need a master to work and every state..... If your a high school student well go for it but having B.S degree why work backward that's not smarted

cj i believe you are misinformed. You are not required to have a master nor BS to work in any state as a PA. In fact, the only thing that matters is the C at the end of PA that entitles you to work. Having a batchelors or masters degree does not impact your ability to work. That being said, a good portion of the 2013 class at MDC has bachelor degrees already; additionally if you already have a MS in say underwater basket weeving, your can just as well put MS at end of your title should you wish after PA-C. The BS or MS is merely an acknowledgement of your education level, not what the education is in.

Christian i believe you are misinformed. Most states do not require a bachelor’s or master’s degree in addition to completing an accredited physician assistant program. Several states require a specific academic degree for licensure, such as Ohio, Missouri, and Mississippi, which require PAs to have master’s degrees to practice. There is some talk being said in 5 years PAs will all be required to graduate with their MS, but existing PAs will be grandfathered in. Ok why are you talking about underwater basket weeving, while you should be inferring how PT and Pharmacist are no longer a bachelor degree and most new grad need to have DPT and a PharmD. I also work in the hospital and spoke with a pa and he advised me to get the mpa. He said most doctor look for experience and higher education and by being a new grad you don’t have much experience, so getting higher education is more exceptional. An A.S degree doesn’t hold the same weight as master degree. My question was, if you have a 3.6- 4.0 gpa why would you get a A.S degree that take the same time as a master degree (which is 2yrs) for a pa program. The major is moving towards a master degree and a large majority of the schools are master’s degree. But with that being said, it’s not only competitive to get into a school program but also competitive to land a superior position. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!

The economy is bad... Let all the teachers, butchers, and postal service workers join the P.A. profession. Who needs passion for medicine or a life long dream to do nothing more than be a P.A. Even an ART TEACHER was accepted this year into the P.A. program needless to say the person dropped out like 2 months in..... Great JOB MDC..... I wonder whom she knew WINK WINK

I find it curious that there are so many posts on this particular forum being critical of MDC's program considering this is designed to help inform future students in making the most informed decision. While I believe that in order to make the best informed decision one should listen to all sources, perhaps it is most important to consider who those sources are. That being said, for someone who says they are re-applying this year JP I am suprised you continue to hold the program in such negative regards, and whats more I find it very unbecoming to spread such gossip on a forum before even being admitted to the program. CJ I blelieve the grandfather rule is being across the board in many professions, such as NP's who actually have a date set for when higher education with be required. I am not against furthering ones education in the medical realm, however I do believe that the degree doesnt make the medical practitioner, the knowledge and clinical skills do. I have yet to find a graduate of the program that has said the program was an overall negative experience. My advise for those applying in the future is to talk to current students and graduates before letting the opinions and rumors started by others lead you in the wrong direction. Happy hollidays to all, best of luck for those applying in 2012!

Christian

Well I believe when you’re telling future students the facts, you are informing students to make the best decision for the future. And your superlative sources should be someone who might be your future boss like a doctor or a physician assistant that works in the field that you are interested in. Christian can you please stop with the fabrication, can you remind me when I ever said any negative remarks about the program, All my information are facts unlike you Christian, so I’m not spreading any type of gossips on this forum. And for your information I have been admitted to six programs and how about you Christian. To me it sounds like you work at MDC more than anything, I was stating that you have more job security having a master degree then a A.S degree that’s all. I will advise anyone to do their research before entering inside a program, because it’s the person that has to market their self in order to seek a job, and with that being said: a higher degree would make you a lot more competitive. You are completely distortional of the facts, stating that I’m starting rumors and leading people to the wrong direction, while you’re claiming you can work anywhere in the states with a A.S. degree as long as you have a PA-C which is erroneous, so next time you want to advise anything to someone please do your research first before you lead them to the wrong direction with untruthful facts.

Happy Holidays to everyone

Christian is a good guy, He just seems like a guidance counselor and yes at times he seems like he works for MDC. I'm sure if i got in i would be praising the wonderful MDC but all i do is expose the truth no gossip. Plain and simple the MDC selection process is as unorthadox as it gets.. Calling all Plumers and handymans apply you just might get in.

I apologize for the obvious insult you have taken by my posts CJ, however the gossip comment was not directed to you. Additioanlly I never disagreed with you that a higher degree would make you a more attractive candidate in the job market, but I assume that would go without saying for most professions. While no system is perfect, I wont deny that I am pro-MDC and perhaps you are correct that my opinion may be biased because of the fact that I am a student at the school. As a veteran with the medical background but not necessarily the competitive GPA, I sat with advisors prior to applying to the program to find out what I would need to do to make myself more attractive, and while I had opportunities at other universities, I feel that MDC's mission and location make it an ideal fit for me personally and perhaps for others with the similar values and situation as myself. Again to the gossip comment, I state it because not all posts here are accurate and as someone who's in the program I think those who are applying next year would be interested to know the opionions from this vantage point. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think those who want to continuously bash MDC's program via negative posts seem disgruntled as there are countless more productive paths to expressing ones discontent with MDC (ie: writing your state rep or senator or the education board as they are the ones who dictate much of the funding to the program) rather than post on a web forum for a program that they are obviously not interested in applying to. This site is designed for future PA's applying to MDC, and while I may not be able to religiously jump on here and comment on every post, I hope that by doing so when I can I help those who are applying for next year. That being said, I hope everyone has a wonderful new year and good luck to applicants of 2014!

Christian

Archived