How far do you drive for work?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to drive 60 miles each way (1 hour) on two lane rural roads chanting, "no deer, no deer, no deer, no deer" as I drove home in the dark during winter.

Now I take two right turns within 1.5 miles and there I am. I moonlight there so I still lug all my reference books back and forth. Otherwise I could probably walk.

I thought this would be a great poll, just not sure how to build it. I currently drive 93 miles one way to go to work (takes me 1.5 hrs). Just trying to see what an average is.

BTW, I am currently looking for a job closer to home. I cannot keep up a "short haul trucking" position, my PA position, and a family life any longer. Another question this raises is how far are you willing to drive for a better salary? That is the reason I got in this position in the first place. This did teach me that money is not everything.

I was driving 17 miles each way to the mainland. Created my own clinic on my island and now I bike or drive (rarely run) 7 miles each way. But they are extremely scenic 7 miles, around two lakes, over a small mountain pass and then along the "sea" (Puget Sound) up to my clinic door on the water.

45 mins each way to my main clinic (usually T-F) My moonlighting job is only 2 days per week per diem and is 15 minutes from my clinic and 30 from my house. My other site, which is through my main clinic is 60 miles (about 45mins-1 hour each way) away but I only go there twice a month. I am in process of starting a practice with a MD soon, hopefully in the next 3-4 months, so I hope to eventually just go to ONE clinic M-F (about 30 minutes away)

I used to drive 60 miles each way (1 hour) on two lane rural roads chanting, "no deer, no deer, no deer, no deer" as I drove home in the dark during winter.

HA! ditto here on the "no deer" chanting! 45 miles one way for me; During winter storms my mantra changes to "watch the snow pole, watch the snow pole, watch the snow pole!"

Job #1= 73 miles each way (1hr 17mins each way) from home.

Involuntary Inpatient Psychiatry/Internal Medicine.

M-F 0700-1300

Job #2= ~ 7 miles each way (10 mins each way) from home.

Internal Medicine/Psychiatry/Addiction Medicine

M-F 1300-2100 (on-call)

Job #3= ~ 4 miles each way (4-5 mins each way) from home.

Addiction Medicine (I own this practice and will expand to pain management next yr, then Concierge Internal Med the following yr)

W-F 1500-2100, Sat 0900-1400

So with the above schedule... I leave my home at 0545 and drive south for about 1.25hrs (Most of it is Hwy Driving at 60-75+ mph). I see inpatients and precept 2 PA students per month until between 1100-1300. I then leave this facility and drive back north for about 1.5hrs straight to the second facility where I either do new intake physicals, Detox treatment or handle acute care issues. More often than not, I'm only there 10-15 mins 2-4 times a week. The longest I've had to be there in the past yr has been 2hrs.

I'm usually in my office in MY clinic practicing addiction medicine by 3pm wed-friday.

Contrarian

btw... just had the oil changed on my commuter car. Its a loaded 2011 Nissan Juke that I drove off the lot Oct 5th 2011. I'm at 36,000 miles in 12 months.

HA! ditto here on the "no deer" chanting! 45 miles one way for me; During winter storms my mantra changes to "watch the snow pole, watch the snow pole, watch the snow pole!"

been there, done both of those! I actually kept a fire arm with me in my vehicle so that if (when) I hit a deer I could dispatch it and make sure it didn't suffer. I drove through 'death alley' to and from a certain rotation during that time...

Before that (before PA school) I would commute starting at 4:30 a.m. in the snow, for an hour, in a mustang. fun times (not).

Anyway, I haven't started my first PA job so sorry I can't actually contribute to the OP's question.

Now I take two right turns within 1.5 miles and there I am. I moonlight there so I still lug all my reference books back and forth. Otherwise I could probably walk.

almost the same for me but now my drive is about 8-12 min - depends on rather I hit green lights or red lights...

Cmon man why are you driving with that bike in your avatar......

ouch and that hurts because it is so true - honestly lazy and getting out at 6-7 every night means all I want to do is get home... but the 30lb wt gain and back pain in the last 3 years is starting to force the issue......

ouch and that hurts because it is so true - honestly lazy and getting out at 6-7 every night means all I want to do is get home... but the 30lb wt gain and back pain in the last 3 years is starting to force the issue......

dude you could ride that distance in 15 mins max. no slack!

I ride 10-15 mi each way depending on weather, my mood, etc.

11 mins to and 13 mins home no traffic/weather issues. My limit for many years has been 30 mins (regardless of actual miles) Did the 1+ hour each way for a while and when I added it up I realized I was spending 10+ hours every week stuck in the car and decided I wanted to spend that time on other things.

Archived