???? Re: Online MPAS @ UNMC

Yes...

Its NOT "Online"...

You Pay... they send you a syllabus (that details assignments/readings) and 3 books. (Scientific Writing, Ethics, Healthcare Econ)

You complete written assignments and 800 clinical hrs (or it may be 800 patients ... I don't remember) within 1 yr..... submit assgnments, Preceptor's evaluation and clinical log... MPAS degree granted.

The shortest time allowed to complete the program is 6months... the longest is 1yr.

The written assignments can be completed in about 45 days with dilligent work... then add about 30 days to complete the Lit Review paper... now at this point, you are simply loging your patient encounters until you get the required 800hrs/patients.

They used to send you 2 diplomas...

One was a Generic MPAS.... the second diploma actually stated that you were granted a Masters in Whatever your Specialty is.

They have since stoped issuing the second diploma. I think they are in "cahoots" with NCCPA and didn't want to interfere with, compete with... sway folks away from CAQs (Specialty Testing).

It makes sense because... I have a Diploma that CLEARLY states that my Masters is Concentrated in Psychiatry/Behavioral Medicine. So why in the hell would I waste money on the NCCPA Psychiatry Specific Exam...???

YMMV

Contrarian

There's definitely multiple threads on this subject on the forum.

I did the program as well- just as contrarian described it.

Great program, one of the best learning experiences I've had since my residency- but it is what you make it. You can skate through just to get the masters OR truly focus your understanding on a clinical topic in your practice.

Shame that the degree isn't worth Cat I CME.

yup, they added some coursework and bumped up the price. still around 1/2 what other postgrad ms programs cost. it was 1800 dollars when I did it and it took me 5 months to complete. I had a bs going into pa school and got a second bs in pa school. the yr after I graduated they went to an ms by adding one class in research methodology and decreasing clinical hrs to compensate so I feel ok with a quickie ms to get credit for work I had basically already done.

Thanks all for the responses. Anyone recently completed the program? I'm currently completing the program and have questions regarding expectation with the reading assignment. Yes, this question can be directed to the department, however, I feel that I will get better response from prior students. Furthermore, I do not want to go over board answering the assigned question.

This program sounds like it is set up similarly to University of Nebraska's program. Like Emed, my program changed to a Masters the yr after I graduated so I felt my Masters from UofN was basically the extra course they tacked onto the end to make it a graduate degree. Back when I took it around '03 it was $4k iirc. I'm sure it's gone up but you may want to check it out.

What does UMPC stand for? Lately, I have been searching a MPAS program with online only, and just this morning I filled up Pace University, for their new MPAS completion program which is going to start in Jan 20012. Their tuition is also $10.000+. The only reason I chose it is beause PA-C with BS, only needs to complete 10 credits in order to get a MPAS, and they do not have the requirement of x # clinical hours that some of other programs require. Still I am not so sure if I made the right choice because there might be still other program out there that I have not come across with.

I checked up on the new cost. I just can't believe it. UNMC was on national news a year or so ago as having the cheapest master education program. After that publication, the cost jumped to I believe 5K. For the price to be now at 10K+ is astonishing.

still the cheapest program...most are >20k.

I completed my coursework this summer and will be graduating in December; I'm also disappointed to hear about the big jump in tuition (I paid around $4000, meaning it was totally paid for by my hospital's tuition reimbursement). Same story as the others; double bachelors, and my program converted to a Masters within a year or two of my graduation, so I was happy to complete a few courses for my Masters. I can try and answer any questions you might have about coursework.

I completed my coursework this summer and will be graduating in December; I'm also disappointed to hear about the big jump in tuition (I paid around $4000, meaning it was totally paid for by my hospital's tuition reimbursement). Same story as the others; double bachelors, and my program converted to a Masters within a year or two of my graduation, so I was happy to complete a few courses for my Masters. I can try and answer any questions you might have about coursework.

medic25...I pm u..pls ck ur inbox.

mine was completely covered as cme as well( 1800 dollars at the time).

Archived