Help with essay question

An essay prompt for a recent application asked what my vision of my practice is after completing PA school and ten years later. I explained that my vision was to stay where I am and open a satellite clinic in the inner city area where I could treat underserved areas in a primary care capacity. The next question is, "what is your plan to turn your vision into a reality?" I can talk a lot about qualities I will need to get there and experiences I've had that have taught me to overcome obstacles...but the truth is that I have no plan, because I have no idea how to go about doing that. Any suggestions?

I don't think they're looking for your business model. But since it sounds like you don't know much about this, you could discuss your desire to learn more about the business and legal side of PA-owned practice in PA school. If you need more detailed material about PA-owned clinics, you could check out the forum on it here.

Right, thank you. I checked out that forum and found that it seems intimidating; but I'm not disuaded. Is it lame to bring up the fact that I've looked into the rules and statutes for the state I'm in and that I'm prepared to seek counsel throughout rotations to find a physician who would be willing to help me?

If I was looking to strike out on my own, I'd seek mentorship and experience for sure. Someone who has "been there, done that, has the t shirt".

While there is a sense of adventure to strike out solo and take on one of the BIGGEST challenges of modern medicine, I can't help but think that there isn't more of what you describe because of any number of complex issues from city zoning codes to billing nightmares to lack of staff willing to share your dream and passion. Find rotations and jobs immersed in what you hope to do someday and learn as much as you can.

To share this in an essay...I think it may be a good spot to name drop of clinics/providers that you would be proud to model. This would show that you have done some serious homework.

Good luck

Archived