Hey everyone. For those who are accepted congrats! So now onto the next step which is housing. Has anyone done any research on nearby apartments or does anyone know which apartments are the BEST? Somewhere that is safe, affordable, quiet, and some amenities would be nice. If anyone has any input please let us know so we can get on it ASAP. I know that the dorms go for $2258 per semester and include health plan, meal plan, etc. But you will be sharing a room with someone else in the noisy "Men or Women's Hall". Other than that, I have seen some apt's within the 600-800 range that look pretty good. Thanks for the info everyone!

I live in Midland and I just wanted to ask where you got your information about the Midland College residence halls. I believe you have to attend Midland College (not Texas Tech) to stay in the residence halls. I lived there as a Freshman and Sophomore when I played on the Women's basketball team... just so you know, there are visiting hours for the dorms (yes that means your date has to leave by midnight or one... and they will come to your room and make them leave), and every person that comes in the dorms to visit has to sign in and out. Basically those dorms are one step down from prison. Also, most of the people who live there are College freshmen and/or college athletes (18-19 year olds...). I would not recommend anyone to live there even if it were allowed. There is no privacy, you have a shared space with the ajoining room, and the dorms are NEVER conducive to studying (imagine high school athletes in a hotel every night...) Anyways, thought I let you know my thoughts on the dorms. Good luck house/apartment hunting!

Oh and I forgot to mention, I can't even tell you the amount of stuff that gets stolen... While I lived there, here are some of the things I remembered getting stolen... diamond earrings, cameras, cash, computers, and even shoes (yes shoes)!

AND there are room checks for cleanliness, alcohol, tobacco, candles, etc. Possession of which results in fines or getting kicked out of the dorms.

Ha. I wasn't planning on staying in the dorms. I have lived in a dorm before and it was exactly the same. So where do you live now? But I thought the family dorms would be nice if I had a family...

Yeah, the family dorms might be ok :) I live in a house in Midland. I have a lot of friends who are in apartments though. The most expensive ones are the Palms, Blue Ridge, Vantage of Midland, those run anywhere from about 1100-1300 and up for a one bedroom (from what I have been told). Some of the more middle of the road pats are Aviare, Hawthorne House, the Clusters, and Polo Park. I would definitely get on a waiting list if you are wanting some of the nicer apts. The Oil industry is hot right now, so apartment options are more limited! :) Send me a message if you need more help or details.

I am currently in the Tech Program...I live at the Clusters which is really nice. For a 1 bedroom its $770 a month, plus amenities. You'll find out very quickly that midland is an EXTREMELY expensive city to live in. Some other nice apts that are reasonably priced are Wildflower and Polo Park.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Naisphan
      Hey! If anyone has any questions regarding PA school or their application please don't hesitate to let me know!
      I applied to 9 schools, got accepted to 1, waitlisted at 4 schools and denied to 4 schools.
      When I was applying there were not many resources to find other students who were accepted with low GPAs to see what they have done, so I just want to help out as much as possible. This is a very stressful part of an individual's life and having someone to relate to can definitely help out.
      If anyone feels uncomfortable commenting their questions on here or need a super fast response, feel free to message me on my instagram as well: Naisphan
      Right now, I'm a volunteer pre-pa mentor for two community colleges in my neighborhood.

I don't want to make this a super long post but a quick overview of my statistics:
      cGPA: 3.1
      sGPA: 3.01
      Last 60 credit hours: 3.8
      PCE: 2600
      HCE: 1500
      Shadowing Hours: 144
      GRE: Did not take

There is so so so much more than just the numbers. I really mean that. I have spoken with a whole bunch of PA admissions committee members directly at multiple schools about my application and also what they're looking for in potential applicants. I've also spoken to many students and pre-pa mentors as well to help me throughout the process.
      With my low GPA, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it into school but with the help of my mentors I was able to craft a great application.
      Don't be discouraged at all, there are so many things to do to make your application much better!!! It really is a holistic application and as long as you reach the minimums, anything is possible from there. Again, AMA either here or on my instagram page!!!
    • By Habb31719
      I wanted to know if anyone could add any input on this; 
      I had requested a PA for a letter of evaluation. He was happy to agree to give one. I also had sent him a copy of my resume just because I thought that was the appropriate thing to do. 
      last week at work him had mentioned two things... he had brought it up to me that I didn't have my GPA posted on my resume and asked if if I was planning to put it on my resume. he also started asking me things like "do you want me to just not address GPA at all then?". So, for the copy of the resume I had sent to her, I didn't put my GPA in because I didn't think it was going to be helpful (my undergrad is a 3.35 which is not competitive) The whole purpose of sending him a 1 page resume was so that he could know a little more of what I have done in undergrad; like, have a little more amount of information of who I am outside of scribing. (I've been a scribe for about 9 months; about 5 of those months have been heavily involved with this particular PA, so although we haven't had many conversations personally its not like I am a stranger to him 
      The other thing that he requested is if I had personal statement finished. I will sincerely admit, I am quite behind on the application process as my personal statement still has work to do; I told him it's still being written. He asked if she should have a summary of it or something like that so he has more details to flesh out his evaluation letter. 
      I told her I would email her about the GPA issue and the personal statement summary because he was asking out loud in front of the other doctors and employees in the nurses station and I was a little shy to answer. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting him to ask those questions.
      So here is what I was asking: 
      1. Should I have 3.35 on my resume at all? (I was a public health major)
      2. Is giving a personal statement/summary super necessary for you LOR evaluators? Because I really have alot more to do on my PS so I'm not sure how I can make a good summary in a short amount of time to give him; as well as the other evaluators.
    • By Mdc99
      Last cycle I applied to 3 schools, interviewed at all of them, and ended up getting rejected at all three. Then one of the schools ended up adding me to their waitlist, but I still didn't plan on getting in. Fast forward to yesterday, they call me and offer me a seat for their program that begins in 3 weeks in a completely new city. However, I am so confused on what to do. I graduate on April 27th and I was so extremely ready and excited to take a year off and work. Especially after this semester, I have been so burned out and in need of a break. I am also in need of money as I have been barely working... I know people might say I'd be an idiot to not accept, but I do not think I would be happy taking it. I feel that a break would be so beneficial to me at this point in my life and starting PA school in three weeks honestly sounds awful. It was my least preferred choice as well.
      I talked to an advisor at my top school and she said if I just practice my interview more, she thinks I can get in next year for sure. I currently have a 3.98 overall GPA and a 4.0 Science GPA and around 3500 hours. I obviously can't guarantee that I will get in somewhere next year, but I'm hoping that if I practice my interviews (which I didn't prepare for last cycle), I can get a spot somewhere and I will be much more ready to start such a rigorous program. I just need advice on whether it would be completely ridiculous to not accept this seat, or that if taking an honestly needed year off would be a smart idea. Thanks!
    • By KellyBeth
      Hi everyone,
      I really really want to be a physician assistant, but I don't have the most outstanding test scores or grades. I was wondering if you all could give me your opinion on if I have any chance at all of getting into a PA program. My overall GPA was a 3.30 and my science GPA was a 3.27. I took the GRE and got a 155 on verbal, but only a 145 on the quantitative section, and a 4.0 on the writing section. I will have 1,720 hours of healthcare experience working as a CNA by the time I am planning to apply to physician assistant programs. I also have 24 hours of shadowing PAs as experience. Please let me know if you think I have any chance of being accepted into a PA program. Also, if any of you have any recommendations on PA programs that would be best for me to apply to based on my stats I would greatly appreciate that!
      Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
    • By hailstones
      Hi there! 
      My name is Hailey and I am a first-round applicant for PA school. I have gone to a handful of interviews, and have a few acceptances. I believe my personal statement was very strong, and I am wanting to help other prospective PA students get an acceptance on their first round also. 
      I have quite a few friends already attending PA school, and those about to start. I have edited their personal statements as well. I am willing to edit your personal statement, have brainstorming phone calls and answer any questions about the PA admissions process in general.
      My services are FREE OF CHARGE. However, I do ask that if you feel you've benefited from my help that you give a small donation, whatever you can, via venmo to my PA school tuition fund. ~karma~
      If you are interested, please email me at AcceptedPAstudent@gmail.com.
      I look forward to helping all you prospective students!
      Best,
      Hailey xox

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More