Undergraduate advice

• Administrator

Hi, I'm a biology/premed major currently, but I am wanting to go to PA school. Would this degree and concentration work for me still? Also, how do you go about shadowing a PA?

1. Probably, but PA school needs some specific things often not required in medical school.  Since there is no standardized PA school requirement, what you have may be OK for some programs, but not for others.  While core sciences are all good, many programs require psychology, statistics, A&P, biochemistry, microbiology, or other courses not specifically required of Premed students, while other things required of premed students (e.g., Calculus and calculus-based physics) are typically not required.

2. Find one and ask.  Call around, ask your PCP or other health care providers you know if they know of one willing to allow you to shadow, or use your social network to find one.

There is no perfect major that incorporates every pre-req for PA school (not to my knowledge at least). But I think you'll be fine going with bio/pre-med. You may need to take some additional courses that are not required for your degree. To know specifically, you'll want to look up the course pre-requisites for the schools you are interested in going to. And remember, always aim for A's!

I'm currently majoring in Biology. My classes are fulfill for Bio degree and most if not all prerequisites for PA school, not to mention I have those upper level science courses recommended by PA schools. I don't have to take additional courses in summer. It really gives me more choices when applying to PA schools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived