Application Cycle 2011-2012

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@jkentp the interviews last about 5-6 hours depending on how early you get your individual interview. Once you get to the school, you'll mingle for a minute with fellow applicants, current students and the faculty before going to the auditorium for a intro session. After the intro session you'll get a tour of the school, then break up into your group interviews. Group interviews are generally 4-5 applicants with 4-5 professors asking questions to all the applicants. In my group interview, they pretty much went down the line with the same questions, while all the applicants answered accordingly. They'll take notes during this session. After that, you'll break for lunch. After lunch, I believe, is when you take a med term exam (at least we did at our interviews). It doesn't count for anything, they just like to see where you stand. Once that's over, you'll wait for your turn during the individual interview in which they tell you whether or not you were accepted, wait listed or denied. You'll find out the outcome of the day before you leave. Pretty crazy. You'll do fine; it's normal to be nervous. Good luck!

@labcatis I had my interview last year and got in.

@jkentp the interviews last about 5-6 hours depending on how early you get your individual interview. Once you get to the school, you'll mingle for a minute with fellow applicants, current students and the faculty before going to the auditorium for a intro session. After the intro session you'll get a tour of the school, then break up into your group interviews. Group interviews are generally 4-5 applicants with 4-5 professors asking questions to all the applicants. In my group interview, they pretty much went down the line with the same questions, while all the applicants answered accordingly. They'll take notes during this session. After that, you'll break for lunch. After lunch, I believe, is when you take a med term exam (at least we did at our interviews). It doesn't count for anything, they just like to see where you stand. Once that's over, you'll wait for your turn during the individual interview in which they tell you whether or not you were accepted, wait listed or denied. You'll find out the outcome of the day before you leave. Pretty crazy. You'll do fine; it's normal to be nervous. Good luck!

@labcatis I had my interview last year and got in.

Hi bpalm,

I was wanting to get a little guidance and insight into how students are chosen for an interview. I had asked you earlier if I should apply with my statistics. My pre req GPA is a 3.45 and it seems like on the forum there are many that have considerably higher GPA's. I had also noted that my cumulative is less than impressive because of some hiccups early on in my undergrad career. But I have roughly 5000 hours of direct patient care and in the last year I have also been doing vascular ultrasound. ( I did not include this in the 5000 hrs of patient care) I am just really hoping for an interview at least. What is it that South is looking for and that is most important to them? I feel that I have a significant amount of experience in addition to the fact that I grew up in a medical family. I know what it takes to be an excellent PA but I'm worried that my lower cumulative GPA will keep me out.

Hi bpalm,

I was wanting to get a little guidance and insight into how students are chosen for an interview. I had asked you earlier if I should apply with my statistics. My pre req GPA is a 3.45 and it seems like on the forum there are many that have considerably higher GPA's. I had also noted that my cumulative is less than impressive because of some hiccups early on in my undergrad career. But I have roughly 5000 hours of direct patient care and in the last year I have also been doing vascular ultrasound. ( I did not include this in the 5000 hrs of patient care) I am just really hoping for an interview at least. What is it that South is looking for and that is most important to them? I feel that I have a significant amount of experience in addition to the fact that I grew up in a medical family. I know what it takes to be an excellent PA but I'm worried that my lower cumulative GPA will keep me out.

I can't speak for the college itself but it seems like the program as a whole looks for those with a good marks in your core, prerequisite classes, as well as good HCE to go along with it. It sounds like you're a strong candidate; there will always be people with a higher gpa and with more HCE hours. Don't let that get you down. The hardest part of this entire process is the waiting game. And unfortunately there's little anyone can do about it at this point. Believe me, I know. Once you've applied, just sit back, keep getting those HCE hours and most importantly, DO NOT GIVE UP. "Hurry up and wait" seems to be the favorite saying to those in your shoes. There are plenty more interview dates, I believe all the way into May, so just keep your head up. No news is good news right now, and this goes to everyone applying. If you haven't been denied, you're still in the running. Remember that. Some people apply as soon as the cycle opens, and don't get an interview invite until the last session. Stay positive, and good luck.

I can't speak for the college itself but it seems like the program as a whole looks for those with a good marks in your core, prerequisite classes, as well as good HCE to go along with it. It sounds like you're a strong candidate; there will always be people with a higher gpa and with more HCE hours. Don't let that get you down. The hardest part of this entire process is the waiting game. And unfortunately there's little anyone can do about it at this point. Believe me, I know. Once you've applied, just sit back, keep getting those HCE hours and most importantly, DO NOT GIVE UP. "Hurry up and wait" seems to be the favorite saying to those in your shoes. There are plenty more interview dates, I believe all the way into May, so just keep your head up. No news is good news right now, and this goes to everyone applying. If you haven't been denied, you're still in the running. Remember that. Some people apply as soon as the cycle opens, and don't get an interview invite until the last session. Stay positive, and good luck.

Bpalm- sorry I didn't realize you are a current student. Thank you for the insight into the interview process. I am nervous. One of my weak points during interviews is I do not like talking about myself, so the more prepared I am the better. Do they try and intimidate you or do they seem more laid-back and friendly during the interviews??

Anitsisqua- Great! I have not made travel arrangements yet. I will be driving from Nashville and probably staying in a hotel I'm guessing I'll check in around 3pm. My email is labcatis@gmail.com phone number is 928-525-4320. Email me so I'll have your address and I'll let you know when I have a plan. I look forward to meeting you!

Bpalm- sorry I didn't realize you are a current student. Thank you for the insight into the interview process. I am nervous. One of my weak points during interviews is I do not like talking about myself, so the more prepared I am the better. Do they try and intimidate you or do they seem more laid-back and friendly during the interviews??

Anitsisqua- Great! I have not made travel arrangements yet. I will be driving from Nashville and probably staying in a hotel I'm guessing I'll check in around 3pm. My email is labcatis@gmail.com phone number is 928-525-4320. Email me so I'll have your address and I'll let you know when I have a plan. I look forward to meeting you!

I interviewed and was accepted to South College today for the class of 2014. Good luck to everyone who is interviewing in February!

UG GPA: 3.65/ Science GPA according to CASPA: 3.48/ UG major: Biochemistry/ HCE: 1500 hours (2.5 years) direct pt. contact

The most important thing is that you seem well-rounded with a strong science background and health care experience. Also, friendliness, candor, and interpersonal skills are assessed, so keep smiling. :-)

I interviewed and was accepted to South College today for the class of 2014. Good luck to everyone who is interviewing in February!

UG GPA: 3.65/ Science GPA according to CASPA: 3.48/ UG major: Biochemistry/ HCE: 1500 hours (2.5 years) direct pt. contact

The most important thing is that you seem well-rounded with a strong science background and health care experience. Also, friendliness, candor, and interpersonal skills are assessed, so keep smiling. :-)

Hi Bpalm. Thank you for taking the time to post on the forum and answer questions! I am interviewing on February 17 and I have some questions on clinical sites. On the website, it says that students are not able to supply their rotation site/preceptor, but they can suggest sites/preceptors. How common is it for students to suggest rotation sites? Does the program seem to encourage or discourage it at all?

Also, what aspects of the program do you like the best?

Thank you for your help :D

Archived