Application Cycle 2011-2012

Hi Bpalm. Thank you for taking the time to post on the forum and answer questions! I am interviewing on February 17 and I have some questions on clinical sites. On the website, it says that students are not able to supply their rotation site/preceptor, but they can suggest sites/preceptors. How common is it for students to suggest rotation sites? Does the program seem to encourage or discourage it at all?

Also, what aspects of the program do you like the best?

Thank you for your help :D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats rek0722! Svarg, you are able to suggest clinical sites. You can't "provide" them because the faculty has to go through an application process in which they send paperwork to your suggested clinical site, making it all official and whatnot. If the faculty decides the site is worthy of sending you there, meaning it goes along with the necessary guidelines for you to get credit for the rotation, there shouldn't be a problem. People have done clinical sites all over the place; one student from 2 years ago actually did most of her rotations in atlanta b/c that's where she was from and was planning on working. I may do a rotation in atlanta and also a rotation in NYC (if it works out) b/c I've always wanted to see what working up there is like. It IS up to me to find preceptors that are willing to take me on for six weeks though. Once I find someone, I tell my faculty to send them an application, then the faculty tells me if it goes through or not (which, as far as i can tell, there usually isn't a problem).

As for the program itself, my favorite thing about it is the faculty. As they so eloquently put it yesterday at the interview, it's one big, happy, dysfunctional family. They all work well together, but most importantly, they make sure that we, the students, are getting the knowledge we need to become fantastic PAs. They really look out for us, take our concerns seriously, and do what they can to ensure our success. I truly love everything about this program, but the fact that EVERYONE here wants us to succeed and fight for us when we need it, that was the selling point for me. Best of luck in February! I'm not sure if I will be at that interview session but I will let everybody know when I find out!

Congrats rek0722! Svarg, you are able to suggest clinical sites. You can't "provide" them because the faculty has to go through an application process in which they send paperwork to your suggested clinical site, making it all official and whatnot. If the faculty decides the site is worthy of sending you there, meaning it goes along with the necessary guidelines for you to get credit for the rotation, there shouldn't be a problem. People have done clinical sites all over the place; one student from 2 years ago actually did most of her rotations in atlanta b/c that's where she was from and was planning on working. I may do a rotation in atlanta and also a rotation in NYC (if it works out) b/c I've always wanted to see what working up there is like. It IS up to me to find preceptors that are willing to take me on for six weeks though. Once I find someone, I tell my faculty to send them an application, then the faculty tells me if it goes through or not (which, as far as i can tell, there usually isn't a problem).

As for the program itself, my favorite thing about it is the faculty. As they so eloquently put it yesterday at the interview, it's one big, happy, dysfunctional family. They all work well together, but most importantly, they make sure that we, the students, are getting the knowledge we need to become fantastic PAs. They really look out for us, take our concerns seriously, and do what they can to ensure our success. I truly love everything about this program, but the fact that EVERYONE here wants us to succeed and fight for us when we need it, that was the selling point for me. Best of luck in February! I'm not sure if I will be at that interview session but I will let everybody know when I find out!

Thanks for the clarification bpalm. The PAs that I have shadowed have been clinical preceptors for students in two local programs, so I thought it would be exciting to come back and learn from them.

It's great to hear that the faculty is so supportive and that you enjoy the program. I am excited to meet everyone in a few weeks!

Thank you for all your help : )

Thanks for the clarification bpalm. The PAs that I have shadowed have been clinical preceptors for students in two local programs, so I thought it would be exciting to come back and learn from them.

It's great to hear that the faculty is so supportive and that you enjoy the program. I am excited to meet everyone in a few weeks!

Thank you for all your help : )

More and more PA schools are going away from cadaver labs and it was a privilege to have the 1 week lab. You will learn so much in that 1 week and I am so glad that they continue to have this for us. You will have a very thorough anatomy course prior to the cadaver lab and though it is 1 week long it is very intensive and thorough. The program has top of the line equipment and the technology is very good so I would strongly encourage you to consider South.

More and more PA schools are going away from cadaver labs and it was a privilege to have the 1 week lab. You will learn so much in that 1 week and I am so glad that they continue to have this for us. You will have a very thorough anatomy course prior to the cadaver lab and though it is 1 week long it is very intensive and thorough. The program has top of the line equipment and the technology is very good so I would strongly encourage you to consider South.

Bpalm & blburns,

I have a question for you that I forgot to ask during the interviews. I know you both are first year students, so you may or may not have the answer. Are you familiar with the clinical sites and preceptors for the Knoxville/Nashville and surrounding areas (which is where I assume a good majority of the clinical sites will be)? I was accepted to the program, and am very excited. I just totally blanked out and forgot to ask the question. What I am looking for is sort of a rating on the preceptors in the area as far as the learning environment and feedback that the students get, ie. Do the preceptors feel that the students have a good grasp on application of the material from the didactic year? Do the preceptors provide a good learning environment?

I know the program is fairly new, so I was wondering if they have established good clinical sites in the area. I know it's a bit premature to be thinking of that, but it was a question I forgot to ask :/.

Bpalm & blburns,

I have a question for you that I forgot to ask during the interviews. I know you both are first year students, so you may or may not have the answer. Are you familiar with the clinical sites and preceptors for the Knoxville/Nashville and surrounding areas (which is where I assume a good majority of the clinical sites will be)? I was accepted to the program, and am very excited. I just totally blanked out and forgot to ask the question. What I am looking for is sort of a rating on the preceptors in the area as far as the learning environment and feedback that the students get, ie. Do the preceptors feel that the students have a good grasp on application of the material from the didactic year? Do the preceptors provide a good learning environment?

I know the program is fairly new, so I was wondering if they have established good clinical sites in the area. I know it's a bit premature to be thinking of that, but it was a question I forgot to ask :/.

Well, speaking only from what I know of the clinical sites, there are a good amount of sites already established from the previous classes that have gone through. I understand that it is also quite easy to set up rotations on your own if you wanted to do some closer to home. I have not seen the entire list of established sites but from what I have seen there are many to choose from. My wife's aunt just graduated from South's program in Dec. and she said that some of the more rural sites were her best learning experiences as you are not competing with residents to see patients and perform procedures. I understand that the preceptors that work with South are always very impressed with the quality of our PA students and hired many of them from the first few classes. Some sites are going to be better than others but you will find this out from your "bigs" after they have been through. I would not worry too much about this. You will have ample opportunity to learn what you need to and I know that the class that just graduated has a 100% PANCE pass rate right now (granted only 5 have taken it) and the class before that did just as well. You will be more than adequately prepared for your clinical year. The class of 2011 told us all not to worry about this and I'm sure the class of 2012 will say the same thing to you all when they are finishing Clinical Summative at the end of your 1st quarter.

Well, speaking only from what I know of the clinical sites, there are a good amount of sites already established from the previous classes that have gone through. I understand that it is also quite easy to set up rotations on your own if you wanted to do some closer to home. I have not seen the entire list of established sites but from what I have seen there are many to choose from. My wife's aunt just graduated from South's program in Dec. and she said that some of the more rural sites were her best learning experiences as you are not competing with residents to see patients and perform procedures. I understand that the preceptors that work with South are always very impressed with the quality of our PA students and hired many of them from the first few classes. Some sites are going to be better than others but you will find this out from your "bigs" after they have been through. I would not worry too much about this. You will have ample opportunity to learn what you need to and I know that the class that just graduated has a 100% PANCE pass rate right now (granted only 5 have taken it) and the class before that did just as well. You will be more than adequately prepared for your clinical year. The class of 2011 told us all not to worry about this and I'm sure the class of 2012 will say the same thing to you all when they are finishing Clinical Summative at the end of your 1st quarter.

It seems to change every year. Our class started as 68 and I believe it was about 10 fewer last year so I would assume somewhere around 60-70 as our class is about as large as you can get and still have a good learning environment. I don't know for sure however so don't quote me. They may decide our class was too big and go smaller this year. Maybe bpalm knows more than I do on this subject.

It seems to change every year. Our class started as 68 and I believe it was about 10 fewer last year so I would assume somewhere around 60-70 as our class is about as large as you can get and still have a good learning environment. I don't know for sure however so don't quote me. They may decide our class was too big and go smaller this year. Maybe bpalm knows more than I do on this subject.

Hello guys,

I have been reading everyone's comments and I think you guys might be able to answer my question.

I am applying to South College PA School in a few days. I had to wait to finish Cal 1 before applying this Fall semester at the end of Dec. I was really uncomfortable and uneasy about asking the doctors and PA's I job shadowed for a letter. They have done so much I did not want to burden them so I kept putting it off and all I needed was those letters. I know its really dumb and I should not have done that but I am the kind of person who hates more than anything for someone to do something for me.

So I am applying late in the game. I am very unease and feel like I have ruined my chances. So here are my stats and you guys are more than welcome to tell me what you think. Honesty is welcomed, I promise you wont hurt my feelings.

Chemistry major, Anthropology minor, attended a University

CASPA GPA- 3.65

avg 16 hrs a semster

GRE- 805 (this is my weakness)

Job Shadowing- 56 hrs

Volunteering- 32 hrs

I have had no breaks during school so unfortunately I have not got any jobs in Health Care just shadowing and volunteer experience.

Thanks guys this means a lot.

Archived