Application Cycle 2011-2012

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just recently applied on CASPA, I'm from New York & would love to get away for school.. I was hoping any here knew more about the program itself, how it stands out from others? I can only get an idea from what I see on their website. Any insight or opinions would be great =]

As for my stats..

GPA: 3.7

Prereqs: 3.85

GRE: 1080

HCE: around 500

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the information session in November just to see the facility and get a feel for the program. I felt a lot better about it after visiting. (I applied late in February for last cycle and was unable to contact anyone in the program via phone or email until this summer, so I was a little concerned about the program). It is right by the interstate, but the program just moved to the old Goody's building in January. The only real downfall I know is that there is a one week cadaver lab at ETSU and that is the only time you get to work on cadavers. However, their equipment and facility seemed well-equipped to teach us all what we need to know, so I'm crossing my fingers for an interview. Oh, and Dr. Hillegas said that they would start reviewing applications "when they got to it" and then went on to explain that Dec/Jan are very busy months for the program, but they would begin in January. He was quite a character... definitely able to tell that he is ex-military.

I have an interview scheduled for January 27. Anyone else coming to that? Anyone being interviewed on some day other than January 27? Since they accept or reject by the end of the day, I wonder if every applicant remaining in the pool gets inteviewed on this single day. If so, for someone to miss that interview, no matter how strong the reason, they'd be out of luck. Scary! Another question: they say in the email to dress professionally, which I always do for interviews. But what I don't know is this: is it ok for me to wear a pant suit, or should I wear a skirt suit? If Dr. Hillegas is ex-military, maybe he has traditional ideas about women's fashion... Thanks for any advice! Oh, and my GPA is 3.5, prereq GPA 4.0, GRE 1200. HCE 1000

To my knowledge they interview well into the spring. I know of a current student who interviewed in late spring and was accepted. So to answer your question of interviewing the entire applicant pool on one day.. highly unlikely, unless things changed of course or my information is flawed. Regarding the attire; I do not believe the interview events are going to strictly be a one-man-show (ie just Dr. Hillegas). There will probably be others that have influence on the selection. With that said, different members will have different ideas of proper attire. I personally think either would be appropriate. I am a male, so what do I know haha, but business attire is business attire.

Hey applicants, current student here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys have on the program. I love this program. I was accepted at another school and I could not be happier with my decision. As far as pre-req GPA vs CASPA gpa, i can assure you they look at both. They look at everything, and take everything into account. As far as what to wear to the interview, don't over-think it. Wear whatever you will be comfortable in, professionally of course. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask!

Hi bpalm. My pre req GPA is a 3.45 but my CASPA GPA is not impressive at all because I had some hiccups early on in my undergraduate career. I have a ton of healthcare experience; both shadowing and actual hands on (in surgery) type experience. I do vascular ultrasound currently as well. I'm worried that my not so great CASPA GPA will hurt my chances. What is your honest opinion?

Rachel, APPLY (if you haven't already)! Depending on how much HCE you have, it sounds like you're a good applicant. A lot rides on how you do in the interviews, not just what you look like on paper. The faculty has to make sure you're a good fit for the program by talking and interacting with you face to face. Just stay positive and motivated and you can get through this.

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on the invites! I just sent my information in a couple of weeks ago and still waiting on confirmation of receipt. I know this is the first rounds of interviews, but I'm hoping I'm not sending it in too late. I emailed someone in admissions and they said it's not, so I'm thinking positively. What is the interview process like at South? I know MCG is a 6.5 hour process with different interview styles.

Archived