What does the schedule look like?

I've seen some threads about the old schedule, but none since the program switched to 21 months long. Can anyone tell me what the weekly schedules look like in each quarter? How many hours are you in class? How many days a week are you in class? Are you taking lecture classes throughout the 21 months? Or do you do lecture in the beginning with clinicals/working with preceptors in later quarters?

Any info on how the current program runs would be appreciated!

Okay silly me I can answer part of my own question. I forgot about this part from the course's site:

Over the course of 7 quarters students participate in approximately 34 weeks of didactic and skills training, and 46 weeks of preceptorship experience. A large portion of the didactic training takes place in quarters 1-3, with most of the clinical preceptorship experience occurring during quarters 4-7. All lectures and skills training take place at Stanford/Foothill campus. For their clinical preceptorship experience students are placed with a physician in their home community. Students return to Stanford each quarter for integrated instruction and testing.

1st quarter: M-Fri Lecture 9-5pm. Sometimes a two hour lunch/study period or leave at 4pm. Clinical skills on Weds and Fridays after lecture. 80 question tests that are available online starting at 6pm Fri and due, Sunday at 10 am. They're open book but don't let that fool you, sometimes they take all weekend to do and decrease your study time for all the other stuff you got during the week. The first six weeks of the first quarter: Basic Sci, Anat/Phys/Pathophys, Clinical skills, Clinical Problem Solving, and Pharm. The next 6 are the same except no Basic Sci but add Core Med, which is the diseases and how to treat em. Oh and Basic Sci is not so basic. A total of 21 units, most of them all science except .5 unit of Cultural Med.

A lot of people fail the midterms but go on to pass finals. If you fail more than 5 units it's bye bye, no PA for you. Three are gone already with a few more on the fence.

If you are not 100% committed, then don't bother, cuz you ain't gonna make it. By committed I mean, study in the morning before school, study that extra hour you get at lunch and study from the time you get home till you go to bed. Oh, and study all day Saturday and all day Sunday.

The biggest difference from this year and last year is they're able to give more time to learn clinical skills and such. We have weeks of it and the previous class had just days.

2nd quarter is the same. Start clinic in the 3rd quarter, usually, 3-4 weeks of clinic, then 1 week back at Stanford.

The Stanford guest lecturers are all top of the line and the main Medical Director is too. You get a great education and they are super organized as they've been doing it for 40 something years.

If you get in, don't ***** about all your problems, it's PA school. Suck it up.

I hope this helps.

Three are gone already with a few more on the fence.

I'm surprised to hear that you have lost three already. What is the typical attrition rate at Stanford?

If you get in, don't ***** about all your problems, it's PA school. Suck it up..

I must say that I agree with you. I would LOVE to be suffering away at Stanford's PA school right now........and hope to be next year.

Archived