Budget / loans

Hi,

I realize when I finish PA school I will be over 90k in debt to student loans. My question(s) for those of you in my boat are:

1) What factors did you take into consideration before taking out the loans & how much was it and/or how did it fraction out?

(i.e. __ per month for tuition, ___ per month housing, __/week transportation, __/month groceries, etc) and how did you estimate the costs? are there any good online calculators?

2) who did you speak to, to try and figure out your finances (if anyone)?

3) if you are currently practicing as a PA, are you able to handle the debt? able to buy a house, etc? Also, does school debt look bad on a credit report when or if you do attempt to buy a house during the process of PA school or afterwards?

Basically, I want the any dirty details before I make a huge financial commitment.

I want to establish a budget now and stick to it before I enter school, and I want to know how much to allot myself.

Wow... Those are really good questions and I could spend all afternoon writing a response... So I will try to address your 3 main points briefly (if possible).

#1: This is going to be pretty individual and will depend a lot on your personal and family situation. My wife and I sat down and made a plan and stuck to it (basically). A good friend of mine actually went out and spoke to a financial planner. If you're having a hard time with budgets now that would be the way to go.

#2: See above.

#3: I'm not proud of this but I send the student loan folks the equivelent about 2 car payments a month. It sucks in ways I can't begin to tell you... But someday the loans will be gone... I look forward with great anticipation. We did buy a home following PA school and at the time student loans were not counted against us but I hear that has changed. You'll have to talk to a mortgage broker to be sure what the rules are now.

You certainly want to go into any debt with your eyes wide open. Getting all the facts is a great idea. Don't be discouraged though, PA is a great career and is fulfilling in a lot of ways.

Good Luck!

Sallie Mae is alluring yet unforgiving temptress. She will lure you in and you will be her lover, but once you graduate, there is no more tender love-making, just cold, outsourced, correspondences and monthly e-bills.

Just curious Iain...Why Sallie Mae and not federal loans? Are there people who won't qualify for the federal loans (Grad Plus etc) to cover all expenses in PA school? I just filled out FAFSA and I will be starting PA school this summer.

Just curious Iain...Why Sallie Mae and not federal loans? Are there people who won't qualify for the federal loans (Grad Plus etc) to cover all expenses in PA school? I just filled out FAFSA and I will be starting PA school this summer.

I got all of my stafford and plus loans through Sallie Mae...it all depends on what your school offers for fin aid choices.

One question is what you intend to do after PA school. That may seem like forever away but the thing that is better then loans is scholarships. In my state (Washington) if you plan on practicing in a designated underserved area for 3 years after school you may be elegible for free money. This may not be what you want but can ease the huge debt load. It might be worth checking out in your state.

• 8 months later...

This should get you what you want. When I went through PA school (15 years ago) the scholarship essentially covered tuition. It requires practicing in a designated underserved location for a mnimum of three years. When I went back for my Masters three years ago I applied again and was accepted although I did not use it. Other states should have similar programs. Good luck.

Loan Repayment Program - Washington State Dept of Health

• 2 months later...
Guest Joline12

Wow 90k is a lot to owe on your student loans. You might want to look at some of the information on http://www.studentloans.net to help you figure out what to do. It's got loads of information and that's what I used last year when I was trying to get my life back in order (read: get out of massive debt) Good luck with everything though, hope things work out for you!

Archived