Can I retake classes at a community college instead of doing a post-bac?

I took almost all my sciences classes my freshman year of college because I wanted to get them over with, and I didn't do so hot. I'm now taking my upper level sciences, and doing way better in those. Doing a post bac would mean retaking the classes I did well in, instead of just the ones I actually want to retake. If I instead took them at a community college, would they still be accepted? I mostly want to retake 2 gen chem classes, but I might even do organic chem if I can. Would those specifically be accepted?

Yes, community college courses are commonly accepted and many people retake courses at the community college level due to availability and cost.  That being said, some schools require courses to be upper division, or require a certain number of upper division course.  All coursework at a community college is considered lower division.  Your only definite way to find out is check with the programs you are interested in, determine if they require upper division coursework, and/or contact the school directly to determine if your courses meet the requirements.

Yes, they would all count on CASPA; however, the program may allow grade replacement.  All of your coursework from all levels of educations and institutions will be factored into your CASPA GPA.  If a program allows grade replacement, that'll be done at the program level, not the application level.

• Administrator

[...] however, the program may allow grade replacement.

I'm not sure this is helpful information.

1) How many programs actually do this?

2) Since those programs which do have some sort of grade replacement attract people who will benefit from it, is it really any better to apply to such programs?  As in, do you really have any better odds by doing so?

My own experience is limited to one school which works with a 'last 45' GPA.  Sounds great, right?  Unfortunately, the 'last 45' ends up being more like 3.8: http://www.pacificu.edu/future-graduate-professional/colleges/college-health-professions/areas-study/physician-assistant-studies/program-admission

• Administrator

If my most recent courses are all community college courses (once I'm done with undergrad), would they use that instead of my undergrad GPA or would they use them both? I will be done with science classes long before my last 45 hours of my undergrad.

Your undergraduate GPA is all of it: everything you took for your bachelor's, anything you took elsewhere or later.  The GPA on your college transcript will only ever match your CASPA GPA if you have no other credits earned anywhere else.

• Administrator

What if the majority of my pre reqs are not taken in the last 45 hours?

Then your 'Last 45' GPA and your prerequisite GPA will have little overlap.  Different GPAs give very different pictures for different reasons:

cGPA: How well you have done throughout college as a whole.

sGPA: How well you have done in sciences

BCP GPA: How well you have done in specific hard sciences (biology, chemistry, physics) deemed most relevant to medical training.

Last X GPA:  How well you have done in your most recent X number of credits.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I don't mean to barge in but this thread has some relation to my question.

I began entering coursework on CASPA and realized I've had 3 grade forgiveness in which the credits for those courses, on my transcript, equate to 0.00 instead of the credits they were. When I retook them the credits appear on the transcript. I know CASPA says to input everything as it is on your transcript but since they do not do grade forgiveness do I actually put in the credits for those classes even though on the transcript it says 0.00 instead of 4.00? 

I would really appreciate any help.

• Administrator

Call CASPA, but if the issuing school has altered the transcript for the original courses, on what basis would CASPA or anyone else have to "put it back"?  It's my understanding that generally grade replacement annotates, rather than replaces, the grades for the original courses and no longer figures in the replaced grade into your GPA.

• 2 weeks later...

Call CASPA, but if the issuing school has altered the transcript for the original courses, on what basis would CASPA or anyone else have to "put it back"?  It's my understanding that generally grade replacement annotates, rather than replaces, the grades for the original courses and no longer figures in the replaced grade into your GPA.

The reason I'm questioning is because if I put 0.00 then those grades I had originally wouldn't bring down my sGPA as much as it does. I will give CASPA a call and ask. Thank you for the input.

Wait, if the CREDITS have been dropped to 0.00, then no matter what the letter grade assigned, you have 0 quality hours, and hence 0 x whatever = 0 quality points.  No quality hours, no quality points... not going to affect your GPA one way or the other.

The reason they dropped the credits was because at the time if you retook the course and if you originally received a D or F grade they would drop the credits and exclude it from your GPA and that's how it's shown on my transcript. 

Course              Credits     Grade

General Bio 1      0.00            F

That's how it's written on my transcript and on the bottom of that semester it says "exclude credit & GPA." So you're saying it'll still be excluded from my GPA in CASPA as well and to put it as it's shown on my transcript? 

• Administrator
That's how it's written on my transcript and on the bottom of that semester it says "exclude credit & GPA." So you're saying it'll still be excluded from my GPA in CASPA as well and to put it as it's shown on my transcript? 

If the offering institution says it was a 0-credit class, how is CASPA or any other entity going to decide to undo their revision of the credit value of the course?  How CAN they?

This is an odd scenario. If I were you I would try contacting caspa with your question. They will

be able to answer it best.

Always keep in mind that if you plan on retaking a class due to getting a bad grade in it before, retaking it and getting a bad grade again will hurt your application even more. If you go to retake classes again make sure you do everything you can to improve your grade in that class. Many admissions officers will definitely look upon that favorably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an odd scenario. If I were you I would try contacting caspa with your question. They will

be able to answer it best.

Always keep in mind that if you plan on retaking a class due to getting a bad grade in it before, retaking it and getting a bad grade again will hurt your application even more. If you go to retake classes again make sure you do everything you can to improve your grade in that class. Many admissions officers will definitely look upon that favorably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did retake 1 class (Chem 1) and got a low grade the second time as well (first time was awful) but it was due to the passing away of a close family member so I retook it but at a community college and got an A. I will definitely call CASPA and find out more about this situation. Thank you for your help.

Archived