current PA students how realistic would it be to commute a few days to Topeka

to see my kids and then be in Topeka on the weekends leave monday morning maybe go home wed night and then head out again thurs morning and home friday night until monday morning again?

I really want to do this but I wondering if logistically it will work.

Any advice?

Can I do my rotations closer to TOpeka or are they predetermined?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not realistic to be able to drive back to Topeka during the week, weekends - yes if you are very organized and find time to study. Usually there are at least 2-3 major tests during the week you need to study for, not to mention quizzes and smaller assignments. We have several people in our class that commute back home to KC and Topeka during the weekend, but from talking to them, they are only able to go every other weekend. You will be able to chose some of your rotation sites, but not all - you have to be prepared to be away from your family for extended periods of time.

• 1 year later...

mom2twinsplus1

I have to agree with Lidia. The WSU PA Program is very intense. The classroom obligation and requirements are very demanding even for the best organized. I had to work a few hours a week when I attended and I can tell you I scrambled for every spare minute to be able to pick up a book and squeeze in some extra study time. I couldn't imagine trying to commute. If that where not discouraging enough, year two can be even more demanding. I had several rotations where we literally lived in the hospital and lived and breathed medicine for the entire 6-8 week rotation. Often we would be there for rounds first thing in the morning, see patients in the clinic all day, do rounds again in the afternoon, and be in the hospital all night serving as first contact for folks who showed up in the ER. Free time was minimal and very cherished. I was single so it was not a big deal. I loved my educational opportunities but I remember the first thing we were told on day 1 of school. "This program is going to consume you. Be prepared to put your social and personal lives on hold. It will take all your efforts to meet the challenge the next two years will present." Truer words were never spoken; however, I know several of my classmates were married, had children, and survived. It is doable. I wish you luck and encourage you to reconsider the commute. If doable... it would be better to have the family come to you.

Michael T :wink:

Archived