Shoes

That seems to be a fairly subjective item, based on your own foot/leg/hip/back configuration. One suggestion is to go to a small specialized athletic shoe store where their employees receive training from shoe manufactures on fitting people with the right shoe. A trained person can do wonders for steering you in the right direction. I am thinking a walking shoe versus one for running as your heel strike will be different.

A more versatile suggestion will be to get fitted for custom orthotics. This way your shoe itself won't be quite as specialized as you just change the footbed from shoe to shoe as your outfit/needs dictate. It can be a bit spendy but after a couple of weeks in ill fitting shoe I bet 200 or so dollars would be a steal.

The majority of people buy shoes that are too small for their feet. Go shopping at the end of the day when your feet are at their largest. You can gain a size, sometimes more, over the course of a long day of standing.

Check out the mom and pop shoe store near you that has been in business forever, carries a good variety and knows how to size... Tell them what you do and what you are looking for. I personally would not recommend an athletic shoe because you may not be able to wear them on every rotation. A nice leather shoe that can be worn with slacks or scrubs is best. Do not be afraid to spend money. If you get a great pair that lasts and your feet/legs/back are not tired at the end of the day it is worth every penny.

I have Danskos that I love. Quite pricey.. I also have custom orthotics and for myself I do find that I need the right shoe along with my orthotics but my I've had numerous surgeries on my leg including two osteotomies which have correction rotational problems so I might be a special case :). I think everyone gave some great advice! If you do go the orthotics route make sure you find someone reputable.. there is A LOT of orthotic fraud out there (saying they are custom but really aren't).

I have some Danskos and I have had a few Troentorp clogs. The Troentorp sizing will be about the same as Dansko, but I found them to be far more stable, comfortable, and fatigue protective. There are even ANSI-rated safety shoes from Troentorp, which are available for $100-$125. Worth every penny. I'm on my third pair.... my second pair grew legs.

I work at a uniform shop in a hospital and all of the nurses wear sanita's or dansko's. While they are pricey (around $120), they won't break down like a standard sneaker and they offer GREAT arch support. You can wear these shoes for years with no loss of support. These are what I plan to wear when going to school. They're not for everyone though, so definitely try them before buying them.

I had foot surgery a year ago and learned to love clogs. I'm not a PA student but I'm on my feet for ~12-16hrs./day at work and swear by my Sanitas (or Danskos which are pretty much the same). My sister-in-law's a podiatrist and highly recommends them. Worth the $$$. Just get the correct size. They shouldn't be snug, but nice and roomy.

lol- we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think they look funny on guys, but the girl ones have some really cute designs and look good with certain things. I love the way mine look with my jeans. To each his/her own.

BTW to the OP- My husband is a CNA and current RN student (doing 12 hour shifts and clinicals) and he loves his Merrills. He's been wearing the same pair for over a year now and they are still going strong. I think we found them on www.reioutlet.com or www.sierratradingpost.com for around $85.

I work 12 hour shift as an ekg tech (nonstop walking) wearing teva rivas. I also did a 40 mile backpacking trip in them. Look for the mesh kind- not the waterproof as they are cooler and cheaper. You can try them on at rei, but i think they only carry the waterproof ones. I think sierratradingpost.com has them cheap. Most comfortable shoes ever.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Have a few pairs... Am male... They suck.... The only doc martin item I actually like is a belt I wear all the time. Why do you think nobody wears them anymore? The faux punk/grunge scene went away. Do they still even make those anymore?

All my PA friends wear them.

What do you and all your nurse friends wear?

Oh that's right, Dansko's.

You probably look cute in them.

I've had numerous surgeries on my leg including two osteotomies which have correction rotational problems so I might be a special case :).

I have hypermobile joints (especially at the ankle), and when I used to wear boots every day for work, I was rolling my ankles constantly. When I switched to the Troentorps (they have a steel toe), that all stopped. In the ED, the toes kept my feet from being crunched by bad gurney drivers. :xD: Not only are they ANSI-rated safety shoes (important for some), they have a wider footprint than Danskos (irrespective of the model) which makes them more stable. Their soles have better tread as well. I quit wearing Danskos and switched to Troentorps because they blow Danskos out of the water. I've only ruined one pair - while jackhammering.

• 5 years later...

bringing this back to life, I am currently on rotations and have terrible heel pain so i'm looking for a solid OR shoes and/or mens dress shoes for clinical. I rarely get to sit during patient visits and after a awhile my heels kill me. I have used heel inserts which help for a few extra hours but then by the end of the day my heels still hurt.

Archived