Class of 2014

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello classmates! V.Montgomery contacted me as well today, i interviewed October 6th but I’m pretty sure the committee only meets every 3-4 weeks. I'm so excited and looking forward to meeting everyone! Also, concerning the deposit, does anyone know if this is due 2 weeks after the phone call or 2 weeks after the packet arrives in the mail? I may call tomorrow just to double check.

Hello classmates! V.Montgomery contacted me as well today, i interviewed October 6th but I’m pretty sure the committee only meets every 3-4 weeks. I'm so excited and looking forward to meeting everyone! Also, concerning the deposit, does anyone know if this is due 2 weeks after the phone call or 2 weeks after the packet arrives in the mail? I may call tomorrow just to double check.

I was accepted to the Ft. Myers program and the deposit was due two weeks after the LETTER.

Hope that helps

I interviewed Monday the 17th and got my call on Wednesday, also from Montgomery. When I interviewed they told us that they only call if you have been accepted, so for those who missed the call - I'm thinking it's good news! I also believe that the deposit is due after you receive the letter.

Can't wait to meet everybody! I have lived in Orlando for over 4 years so if anybody from out of town has questions about the area feel free to ask. :)

Hi tantekari,

I'll be moving down from Boston and I just had a few quick questions that you may know the answer to. First, when is an appropriate time to start apartment hunting? Up in Boston you generally have to find places 9+ months in advance, and I know thats not true most places. Also, any neighborhood recommendations when I get looking?

Also, has anyone started a Facebook page?

I live right down the street from the Nova-Orlando campus right now. There's a bunch of complexes that are right across the street and next to the school but I don't recommend those (a young girl out running last year escaped an attempted abduction right around there and there's always people walking up and down those streets well into the night plus most of those places aren't gated). The only place I would recommend in that area is Aqua which is gated and has a large parking garage in the center of the complex. About 1.5 miles down the road is where I live in Heritage on Millenia which is on the other side of Conroy Rd. on Millenia Blvd. across from the Super Target. It is very quiet, gated, nice pool area, vaulted ceilings, and do not require a large deposit. It is one of the nicest communities in the area and actually allow big dogs (with breed restrictions of course). I've been here for a few years now so let me know if you have any questions! Oh, it is definitely not necessary to get a place 9+ months in advance. We were signed and moved into this place within a few weeks.

jnicosia, you shouldn't have to start looking for apartments that early in advance. Sometimes you can get better deals on rent by looking early (especially for the July-August months when rent skyrockets) but there will be apartments available even if you just go looking a few weeks in advance. I don't actually live nearby the campus (Orlando is big, to say the least) so I'm not sure about apartments directly near the school so you should probably listen to KMo's recommendations there. At my interview Pauline did express some wariness about the complexes right next to the school and said there had been some safety issues, so it is likely best to look a little further away.

I will probably be asking a ton of questions, as I'm from PA, quite a distance from FL! A facebook group sounds like a good idea, that way we can get to know our class a little bit! Does anybody know if the school will help us out with a roommate search or a meet and greet type event? I heard there was one in the Spring.

If i remember from last year, it's up to you to find your own roommate if you want one, but the meet and greet, or making a facebook group is generally a great place to start doing that. I know some people really like living with someone in the programme (permanent study budy!), but there will definietly be time when you want your space away from the people you will be spending 24/7 with, day in and day out! Just something to think about.

It looks that way Emily. I can't seem to make one either without adding some friends to the group.

If somebody wants to add me, we can get a group started:

http://www.facebook.com/kariava

Normally I have my FB page on privacy lockdown but I'll open it up for now so we can set up a group. :) Just let me know when you add me that you are a classmate.

As far as roommates go, from what I can tell the nicer (aka, safer) apartments in the Millennia area are really expensive. So roommates definitely seem like a good idea!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived