Housing During Rotations

I will be applying to PA School next school, I'm still in undergrad. However, I was a bit curious about housing during rotations. Do the schools usually provide housing arrangements for the students if the rotation sites are out of town? Must the students figure that information out themselves?

Thanks in advance for any responses received!

The PA school I am attending, you are required to provide your own transportation and housing during your clinical rotations. They try to keep the rotations within 1-1.5 hours away from the school and then there are 2 rotations you are allowed to do out of network and go to where you choose. But it is your responsibility to provide housing during all rotations.

From what I've been told about my future clinicals, one or two of the established out-of-state sites have housing available but you still have to pay for it yourself. It's something you factor into your loans when you take out money for your second year. The other sites are either close enough that they expect you to commute (and absorb/budget the cost) or are far out and you're on your own.

At my program, there is AHEC housing available for most sites in-state (NC), which is "free" to us - I believe the school pays a nominal fee to AHEC for us to use it, which is built into our tuition. I think, but I'm not positive, that the other PA programs in NC use AHEC housing too. There's only been one rotation where I've had to take care of my own housing, which wasn't a big deal with the help of Craigslist.

The program is a little more flexible with letting us do out-of-state rotations, but we're definitely on our own housing-wise there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What about extended-stay hotels that rent by the week? Examples: http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/ Of course, that might be quite pricey.

Or short stay apartments? I Googled "short stay apartments Atlanta" (for example), and came up with some decent, cheaper-than-hotels options.

Personally - and this is just me - I'd be leery of any Craigslist housing.

Archived