Failed PANCE -- desperate for advice

Hi everyone! I took the PANCE in June and failed miserably even though I felt I had passed...after that I had a rough third trimester of pregnancy and now am home with a baby that wakes every two hours. I do not know how to study this time and pass. If anyone has ANY advice I would really appreciate it. Everyone keeps telling me I must take the Chicago course but I do not have a sitter and I cannot afford it. I have huge loans that I need to start paying soon...I'm desperate!

I appreciate any help!

Julia

First, relax about the loans. You can put them all on hold, and you can even do it online. Interest will accrue, but it's really not all that horrendously much. As for your plan, I can tell you what I used personally. I used Kaplan, the AAPA book and online questions, and DataChem. It's really about just doing a slew of questions all day every day. Some say Kaplan is too in detail, but I appreciated their format (you get answers to all possibilities offered, so you not only get an explanation as to why certain answers aren't correct but also any details specific to all points). The AAPA book is probably the most applicable, reading it and answering the pre and post-test questions online.

What was your approach the first time around, may I ask?

Thanks for the reply! I used the AAPA book and did the pre and post test questions from it several times - I read all of the explanations. I reviewed Clin Med notes and a couple of study guides I had as well. It seems like not enough now, but that was what my classmates had done and it sounded good enough at the time. I don't have time for an intensive study plan where I spend most of the day studying because the baby keeps me busy and my brain isn't fully functioning right now with waking up every two hours at night. My husband works long shifts 6 days a week so he helps as much as he can, but it's limited. I need to be able to study in short bursts rather than 8 hours at a time. I can get sitters on the weekend if needed. My loans scare me because I went to a private school and I think I have more than my med school friends do...that wasn't very smart, but it is what it is.

check your email. If you took panre after 6/1/11, they changed the number of questions form 300 to 240 but did not tell the scorers. Alot of people failed and then found out they passed. Go online to NCCAPA and check your correspondence it see if your one of us who failed then passed. They should have sent you a couple of emails.

Good luck

AAPA book is just too easy for the PANCE. You need Kaplan qbank, Datachem CD, purple book pre & post, and packrat? Yellow Lange book is a waist of them bc Kaplan will cover everything. You need to understand everything about each disease on the blue print. I guarantee you will pass if you use those materials above. If you are panicking then you just make everything worse rather solving the problem. Do 6 hrs/day for 5 months then you will pass. Best luck to you

Archived