GRE in one month?

It all depends on how long it has been since you had HS Math? For me it had been nearly 20 yrs since I had Geometry and well I had never had to firgure out the area of a circle inside a square since then. YIKES!. So I had to relearn. I got GRE books from the library.

The funny thing is that I had taking the GRE 12 yrs prior for my first Masters (which I graduated with a GPA 4.0 from the same school I was applying to PA school.) The program would not use my previous GRE scores because they were more than 5 years old. Arrgh isn't the primary purpose of the GRE to prove readiness to handle grad school? I did that at your school with a 4.0) Anyway the funny thing is I got the exact same overall score. Except this time around my language scores were better than my math scores.

PS: I only studied for the first GRE about a week before.

I have ti take the GRE also but have to wait until I return back from deployment. I have studied off and on but find it difficult. I purchased the GRE revised book from ETS. It is great, but still hard. I think it is a lot better than the old version. If I was at home I would take the gre prep course that Auburn holds. I will be attending that course on my return home to get me back focus on the GRE exam. The prep course is usually a month long and about 2 1/2 hours daily going over math and verbal and essay writing. You could try one of those courses. Good luck on the test. The good thing about taking the GRE at least you would know what the test is about and will be able to prepare yourself for taking it again to get a higher score.

I am applying to PA school in March 2012 when the new cycle opens. When should I sch my GREs? I just got the book in today and am unsure as of right now on how much time I will need to spend studying for it. Is it easy to get dates to take the GRE? Or do I need to book it in advance?

I took mine over Christmas break from college and studied about 6 days for 6-7 hours. I used Barron's GRE Prep book for this. Took the practice exams, studied, took the online practice exams, studied more and did one more online and one more paper exam, then the real thing. I also used Kaplan GRE flashcards (bought a box with about 900 vocab words) for a few weeks, carried a small stack around with me and did them in free time. I did very well and do not think the GRE is anything to stress over. Shouldn't need more than a few weeks studying, even if you work full time and can only study nights/weekends. Good luck!

WOW just one week! And I'm freaking out about one month! I will try to stick with Kaplan and if I see an improvement I guess I'll take it in December.

I'm planning to take it in December too. I'm not planning to apply until it's time for 2013 matriculation so this time I'm taking it for experience and practice, then I'll take it again for real... unless the GRE gods smile on me and I hit it out of the park the first time... if I do, it's time to buy a lotto ticket! Good luck with it!

PS. If you have a smart phone, look for GRE study aid apps. I found one on my android that's vocabulary and I go through them while I'm on the train commuting or standing in line or something where only a little study time is available.

Archived