PA Applicant With A Master's Degree

Hi everyone!

I'm just curious if anybody is in the same situation as myself. I recently graduate with a Master's Degree in Molecular Biology and I am currently waiting for interviews for PA school. I decided to pursue a Master's Degree first (which only took a year) because I felt that my undergraduate grades weren't as competitive (3.19 science GPA and 3.43 undergraduate GPA). I went on to work hard in graduate school and I ended up having a 3.85 graduate GPA. I was wondering if any current and/or previous applicants are on the same boat.

Hi everyone!

I'm just curious if anybody is in the same situation as myself. I recently graduate with a Master's Degree in Molecular Biology and I am currently waiting for interviews for PA school. I decided to pursue a Master's Degree first (which only took a year) because I felt that my undergraduate grades weren't as competitive (3.19 science GPA and 3.43 undergraduate GPA). I went on to work hard in graduate school and I ended up having a 3.85 graduate GPA. I was wondering if any current and/or previous applicants are on the same boat.

I have my masters in social work. Worked in trauma and neurosurgery then went back to complete my science pre reqs and applied this cycle. So far I have one acceptance and am waiting to hear from other schools. One of the girls I interviewed with had her masters in biomedical engineering. I think its sorta common for people to have multiple degrees or advance degrees prior to starting PA school.

I have my masters in social work. Worked in trauma and neurosurgery then went back to complete my science pre reqs and applied this cycle. So far I have one acceptance and am waiting to hear from other schools. One of the girls I interviewed with had her masters in biomedical engineering. I think its sorta common for people to have multiple degrees or advance degrees prior to starting PA school.

Hi everyone!

Was it a one year SMP or something?

Hi everyone!

Was it a one year SMP or something?

Hey @duchesskre I AM SOOOOO glad you commemted. I also have a masters degree in social work just recieved it this past may I will be taking my boards before the end of the year. I am so glad to hear from someone who also has a masters in social work. I thought I would never find someone like me. anyway. where do you live? How long were you a social worker for before you applied? and did you work full time and take pre reqs for school? did you have doubts about getting into PA school with a social work backbround? I know I'm asking a lot but you dont understand I have been trying to find someone on this forum who is a social worker you can email me if you want ka42518@gmail.com.

Hey @duchesskre I AM SOOOOO glad you commemted. I also have a masters degree in social work just recieved it this past may I will be taking my boards before the end of the year. I am so glad to hear from someone who also has a masters in social work. I thought I would never find someone like me. anyway. where do you live? How long were you a social worker for before you applied? and did you work full time and take pre reqs for school? did you have doubts about getting into PA school with a social work backbround? I know I'm asking a lot but you dont understand I have been trying to find someone on this forum who is a social worker you can email me if you want ka42518@gmail.com.

I have a Masters in Infectious Disease. I was just accepted. It was great to be able to demonstrate my ability to perform very well in difficult graduate level science coursework. I worked full time during my Masters as well and I think that was really a strong point for me since I was able to show that I can deal with pressure and time management. Use it to your advantage!

I have a Masters in Social Science that specialized in methodology. I have spent the last 6 years working medical research recruiting patients, doing IRB's, and grant applications. While that is not a heavy clinical background I have already gotten two acceptances. As previous posters have mentioned use it to your advantage in your personal statement and interviews, esspecially since yours is more science based it should be a plus for you!

For those of you that have applied and been accepted into PA school with a Masters degree, did you take the GRE? I took the DAT when I applied for my Masters and so I never took the GREs. I don't think PA schools accept the DAT and I'm wondering if I should take the GREs to increase my chances of getting in?

• Administrator

GRE is a prerequisite for the schools that require it. Don't try to sub any other test--it flags you as someone with an initial interest in going into another aspect of medicine. For what it's worth, my masters' degrees were remote enough that I needed to retake the GRE... no biggie, did better on it the second time than I did the first.

Archived