Need advice on working with spouse!

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on working with one's spouse. My husband is an RN, about to join my ER where I've been a PA for a few years.  He has prior ER experience and will do great. We're in our early 30s, been married a few years now. I'm a little anxious about it only because it's uncharted territory for us.

[side note, another position isn't an option right now, and he's already accepted and excited about it before anyone jumps in and says "just don't"... ;) ]

Thanks for any insight!

No experience here, but I will say make sure HR/whomever knows about it.  You may not technically be his superior as far as chain of command goes, but all it takes is one cranky coworker to start stirring up trouble.  Just make sure the proper people know just in case, to cover your bases.

My wife and I had about a 2 second discussion about her working as a RN in one of the EDs I work at.

It took about 2 seconds for us to realize the risk just wasn't worth it.  My marriage is the most important thing in my life, and I won't jeopardize it for anything.  

What's hubby going to do if you get into a heated disagreement with a male physician?  What are you going to do if a group of women nurses get their feelings hurt so start sabotaging your husband??  Workplace politics is a very, very real thing.  

And no, it's not too late to change your mind.  

Good luck on whatever you decide.  

I met my wife "at work" as she was an RN student and I was a PA student in a hospital nursery ward in Oman (as in the Middle East). We had a great friendship and work relationship that ended in marriage a year later (never dated while we were working together). On this side of marriage, I think it would be complicated and I would not want to do it. Here is one reason why.  Sometimes I get frustrated at work (any hasn't?).  I am able but bury that frustration and treat my staff with professional respect.  I think there would be a temptation for married people to let their hair down and vent more of their frustration at one another than they would at a "stranger" staff, which would deteriorate the workplace.

At this same hospital in Oman, we had an American physician (FP but also general surgeon) who's wife was an RN and would fill in at the clinic and in the OR.  He would get upset, while he would never say a harsh word to anyone else, he would blast his wife with rage in front of all of us. We would cringe.  She was soft spoken but I can imagine a wife who was not oppressed like her giving it right back.  Not healthy for a workplace where couples are fighting.

We all are familiar with the MD with a wife as the office manager. That is always a mess.

So, while in some ways I would love to work with my wife, other times I think it would not be a healthy environment if we were under stress.  It is best to leave your stress at work and come home to peace and calm.  But if you can handle that emotion of frustration better than I can, maybe it would not be a problem for you.

I also met my wife at work; she is an ED tech in our department.  It's never really been much of an issue for us.  Since we have young kids, we make sure to work different shifts from each other; somebody is always home to watch them.  Perhaps you can work out a schedule that limits the amount of time you physically work together.

We have several interdepartmental spouses. ED physician + nurse, PA + nurse, nurse + rad tech, EMT + medic. It's never been an issue. Just keep it strictly professional while at work. It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Honestly I would not be able to tell these folks are married just by seeing their intractions while at work

There are metaphysical potential problems with this as well - mostly just something that you two are just going to have to work out, but still worth thinking about.

When you're giving orders to your husband, there will likely be friction there.  "I need an EKG in 12, please" or "Orthostatics on the teenager in 23," would in most cases be completely innocuous orders that would be followed without issue.  Your husband will need to be able to take orders from his wife without letting any seeds of discontentment take root.  Not all couples can do that.  My wife and I had trouble with it at one time, and we do not now.  (Yes, it was a pride issue on my part, admittedly.) 

There are a host of landmines as mentioned above so I won't go into those. 

Setting things up so you work with each other as infrequently as possible will reduce the chances that landmines will be stepped on. 

But it sounds like a good opportunity for him and of course you love your job, so go into it with eyes wide open and be quick to address any seeds of issues that you see starting. 

Good luck.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By EKGTech2021
      Good afternoon everyone. My name is Daniel. I am an EKG Technician. I've been in college earning credits towards a Registered Nursing program which I'm planning on attending this August. This program has a lot to offer especially in the fact that it is taking place at a teaching hospital. My true ambition, however, is becoming a Physician's Assistant. I have been very conflicted regarding this decision because I've read in certain articles that there are some PA programs out there which prefer applicants have an RN lisence.  While others say they do not require it. Apart from that aspect, I understand that as an RN I'll be learning valuable bedside clinical experience. But yet I think to myself, why wouldn't I spend my time doing online courses necessary to enrolling into a PA program until I earn a Bachelor's Degree in Applied Science? While working part time getting my clinical hours as an EKG Technician or a Medical Assistant which I am also certified in. I would like to know some of your expeirences as new PA students. How many of you were nursing students before you made the decision to transition into a PA program as a career? Would you recommend a prospective student become a nurse before even considering becoming a PA? Or would it be better to comfortably go to school while working part time? I am thinking about this logically. 
    • By milery
      Hello, I graduated last year with a 2.6 GPA and my science GPA is 2.4. I have two D's, I am retaking one of those two D at a community college ( organic chemistry) the other D is in ecology in which I may not retake tbh because I didn't enjoyed the class. I registered for organic chemistry 2 to help my Sgpa but my dilemma is this.... my financial situation is starting to stress me out. I cant afford to take hard core science classes ( like I originally planned) in a degree that doesn't lead to a guaranteed career (biotechnology). so I thought of either medical laboratory technician or lpn.  I thought of these because #1 cheaper and faster option, #2 mlt has always sparked my interest and #3 I'm a cna ( almost 4 years) and I work closely with a lpn.  the lpn option I'm looking at is a certificate option because is only one year. my whole goal in this is to help my GPA and also have a career. I don't mind continuing to build my PA  application after this but I wanna make sure if doing any of these route will help me and not become a waste of time. 
      if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know. the biotechnology degree I can finish it in a year but what if after that I'm still not a strong applicant? then I'm stuck with another degree... no career 
      I don't care how long it takes to become a PA! I'm 24 years old and I already have a lot of financial baggage. I want to make a smart decision  
    • By tpinkz
      Hi everyone,
      I am having a bit of a dilemma! I am currently a student at a small community college in Maine. I started in 2015 and got my Associate in Applied Science in Medical Assisting a year ago this past May. I became certified through the AAMA and started working right away. I worked as a float in rheumatology, neurology, family practice, and OMT specialty. All very beneficial to gaining the knowledge I now have. I initially got my MA degree so I could start taking classes towards my bachelors degree and I would also have a job that would get my patient contact hours that I needed to apply to the PA program. I then realized that school was expensive and got the idea I should apply to nursing school since my school already offered the program and it is very affordable ($92 a credit hour- I am able to pay out of pocket!). I just completed my first year of the nursing program and have one year left before getting my RN degree. I like nursing and think that it takes a very special person to be a nurse- it is not easy! When I decided to go for nursing I let go of the PA dream and figured that I could take baby steps and get my NP degree. First my ADN, then BSN, and then NP. I was offered a paid summer nursing intern position at our local hospital. I have been working as a Tech in ER and floating around shadowing different nursing positions. They do this to help recruitment and allow students to see what they might like when they graduate. Often they offer students a per diem Tech position while they finish their last year of nursing school. I have gotten to work side by side with PAs, NPs, MDs, DOs, through this program and my MA work. I now still feel very passionately that I want to become a PA. I like the training that PA's get versus NP's, I do not like online course work that most NP programs offer. My learning style is more lecture, take notes, study those notes! After talking with a recent NP grad I was a little upset to learn they only practiced 2 hours of suturing in her program (her FNP program was live, not online). From what I have heard NP's don't cover a lot of technical training that a PA does. Ideally I would like to work in an acute care setting such as the ER as a midlevel. This leads me to another point, PAs have so much mobility they can go wherever whenever they wish. They don't have to specialize in certain age groups or settings. If I went to be an NP I definitely feel I would have to go to become an Acute Care NP. Down the road if I ever decided I wanted to go into a different specialty I would have to take a post masters certification. I also like that PA's get more experience in different areas during clinical. NP's do have a lot of experience as you must hold a valid RN license and have been an RN for a couple years, but they don't the same clinical experience that a PA does. The nursing model is good, but I don't love nursing everything is theory theory theory. I like the medical model- what it causing the problem and treat it! I feel as a PA you can still be holistic and treat the person as whole like NP schools emphasize. A conversation about diet and exercise with you patient is not going to hurt. Many people have told me that since I am going to be a nurse I should just go the NP route and as great as that could be it doesn't sound right. My opinion is that becoming a nurse will look good as patient experience coupled with my MA and Tech experience. I don't feel like I have wasted time and that I am learning A LOT! My next step is to figure out how to get a bachelors degree for PA school. Most pre-PA programs grant graduates with a biology degree. This is where I am torn- do I get my BSN online in a year or so or do I get a different degree. The online BSN program gives me a lot of versatility in work schedule as a nurse and then I will have to take my bio 1+2, chem 1+2, Organic chem, stats, and a few other pre-reqs for the PA program I am looking at. Or should I try and use both of my associate degrees towards a bachelors and see what degree I can get that would include the pre-reqs, basically skipping the BSN. I feel as though getting a BSN would be a waste of time, but I don't know if my previous classes will count towards any bachelors other than that. I guess then that there is always the question of not getting into PA school, at least I would still be an RN. I could then figure out where to go from there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all. ? 
      Best,
      Tyler P.
    • By GraceMarie
      Hi there!
      New to the community - I finally decided to make an account after reading through a ton of helpful forum posts ?
      Currently struggling with what to do to set myself up in the best way for PA school. I am 23 and just graduated two weeks ago with a B.S. of Health Science and during my final final exam week came to the realization that pursuing MD/DO wasn't the right match for me given my personal aspirations (family, time, etc.).
      I started off my freshman year getting 4.0s in every class, then had a drastic drop in my late sophomore/entire junior year GPA. I made the decision to transfer home to reground and refocus on my priorities. Following this, my grades improved significantly. I finished with a overall 3.38 cGPA at my second university, however my prior schooling and repeats of a handful of classes left me with an overall cGPA 2.99 and sGPA of 2.82 - which is obviously making me feel discouraged?
      Currently, I am set to be accepted to an 1-year accelerated nursing program starting in May 2019 to become an RN. I also got accepted to Case Western's Medical Physiology master's program and am waiting to hear back on one other MS program. I am leaning toward becoming an RN as I'm thinking this would give me more purpose and satisfaction in work rather than struggling to find a medical job without having any certification until I can further my education/career. I am also not sure how much benefit a general science master's degree would have overall or when applying to PA programs and, with that being said, given the cost of getting a masters...I'm hesitant to commit. The last two bonuses of being an RN, I'd be able to get my finances together and some quality HCE for a couple years before pursuing PA school.
      SO, my questions and confusion:
      Most important --> 1) What is the best way of raising my GPA and chances for PA school? Taking general or upper level sciences? Technically my GPA would bump up by doing the nursing program, however a few of my PA pre-reqs are low even after a couple repeats so I am concerned about this.
      2) Should I repeat my pre-reqs? I noticed some schools say that you have to have taken these classes within 6 years of applying. By the time I apply, some of my pre-reqs will be past this and I would have to retake them anyway if this is the case. Am I not understanding this correctly?
      3) What are thoughts on pursuing master's programs in relation to PA school? Benefits? Has anyone done this and would you do it again if you had the choice?
      Here are my stats again:
      cGPA: 2.99 // sGPA: 2.82 // GRE: v - 154/65th percentile, q - 153/51st percentile, w - 3.5 // Current paid HCE: 432 // Volunteer HCE: 652
      I'm sorry this is long, but I am open to any and all words of advice anyone is willing to offer! Hopefully, this will help others as well - I've read a lot of uplifting forums that give me hope that it is still possible to achieve our goals! Thank you to all in advance!
    • By NikkiLPN
      Hello and good evening,
      My name is Nikki, and I am an LPN. Currently, I attend an online program through Excelsior College (mostly known for its LPN-RN bridge online). I am majoring in Biology at the moment. This includes courses in Chem, Physics,Statistics and the like of course; however, the program is exclusively online/distance learning. All labs are done electronically through either computer simulation and discussion, or through lab kits shipped to your house. (For example, the A+P kit included a real pig for dissection and you were required to video and photograph the activities.)
      I am able to take most (if not all) pre-reqs for PA programs with Excelsior and am wondering if the lack of "on ground" lab would be detrimental to my acceptance to some of the programs near me (Western Florida)? Would I be better off switching schools, or programs to the ADN program?
      My eventual goal was always to be PA, NP, or MD. Any advice would be really appreciated, as I am just starting out and what to do things right.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More