Reverse Discrimination, or Where are the jobs for non-Spanish speakers?

Quietmedic; I think the general population sees no problem with your use of the english language

American Heritage Dictonary;

Reverse Discrimination;

n.

Discrimination against members of a dominant or majority group, especially when resulting from policies established to correct discrimination against members of a minority or disadvantaged group.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Reverse Discrimination; Noun. Discrimination against whites or males (as in employment or education)

Encyclopedia Britannica

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/500438/reverse-discrimination

Quietmedic; I think the general population sees no problem with your use of the english language

Which makes it no less idiotic...

There is no such thing as "reverse racism", or "reverse discrimination", these are idiotic PC terms that are only used to imply that racism and discrimination in and of themselves are white phenomena that can only be perpetrated by whites, and that everyone else who does the exact same thing based upon the same notions is somehow doing something entirely different than discriminating.

"Reverse racism" is an idiotic term, because it implies that white people are the only ones who can be racist. And I know lots of white people who would vehemently disagree with that last point.

This rates right up there with calling capital punishment "Reverse Murder" by the state on those sentenced to death for commiting murder.

After all: Isn't the reverse of discrimination acceptance and/or non-discriminatory behavior...?

“Reverse discrimination” should be defined as being extra nice to a person because of that person’s race, sex, etc…

Racism is racism, and discrimination is discrimination.

Contrarian

P.s... We have yet to even begin to discuss the white, middle-class male pity parade implied by the term. Since the term is primarily used by those who are part of the richest, most politically-powerful demographic in the richest, most politically-powerful country in the world.

There is no such thing as "reverse racism", or "reverse discrimination", these are idiotic PC terms that are only used to imply that racism and discrimination in and of themselves are white phenomena that can only be perpetrated by whites, and that everyone else who does the exact same thing based upon the same notions is somehow doing something entirely different than discriminating.

"Reverse racism" is an idiotic term, because it implies that white people are the only ones who can be racist. And I know lots of white people who would vehemently disagree with that last point.

This rates right up there with calling capital punishment "Reverse Murder" by the state on those sentenced to death for commiting murder.

After all: Isn't the reverse of discrimination acceptance and/or non-discriminatory behavior...?

“Reverse discrimination” should be defined as being extra nice to a person because of that person’s race, sex, etc…

Racism is racism, and discrimination is discrimination.

Contrarian

P.s... We have yet to even begin to discuss the white, middle-class male pity parade implied by the term. Since the term is primarily used by those who are part of the richest, most politically-powerful demographic in the richest, most politically-powerful country in the world.

Ahh yes, The general public, which includes reporters, authors, judges (supreme court judges no less)....LOL

The "general public" (minus one PA), and multiple printed definitions from well respected reference texts..... seems to imply use of the terms is appropriate.

That said, it's use here is inappropriate.... An employer requiring bilingualism is similar to requiring computer literacy. If it helps the employer meet prospective customer needs then the employer is free to "discriminate" all they want.

Ahh yes, The general public, which includes reporters, authors, judges (supreme court judges no less)....LOL

The "general public" (minus one PA), and multiple printed definitions from well respected reference texts..... seems to imply use of the terms is appropriate.

That said, it's use here is inappropriate.... An employer requiring bilingualism is similar to requiring computer literacy. If it helps the employer meet prospective customer needs then the employer is free to "discriminate" all they want.

So start learning the ROS in Spanish. My Spaneglish is awesome and my charades even better. I have had to try and do admitting orders where the pt don't speak English, I have had Spanish, Portugeuse, Arabic, Polish, Russian, Albanian, Bangeldesh, etc... and oh yeah the language of crazy. You should see me acting out diarrhea.... it is pretty comical, but it take over 4 hours to get a translater , so I can usually get a ROS from the pt and then hopefully get ahold of an English speaking family member before then...

So start learning the ROS in Spanish. My Spaneglish is awesome and my charades even better. I have had to try and do admitting orders where the pt don't speak English, I have had Spanish, Portugeuse, Arabic, Polish, Russian, Albanian, Bangeldesh, etc... and oh yeah the language of crazy. You should see me acting out diarrhea.... it is pretty comical, but it take over 4 hours to get a translater , so I can usually get a ROS from the pt and then hopefully get ahold of an English speaking family member before then...

I'm really frustrated. I am trying to find a job here in NY, but it seems half the available jobs require Bilingual as an absolute MUST. Isn't there some way this is Discrimination? I can't find a job because I'm an English Speaking American!! It just seems so absurd. How can this be legal???

Just another reason to leave the cesspool along the Hudson! I do think a great New Yorker summed it up very well........"Go west young man" applied then an now. PA jobs abound when one decides that the bright lights and big city aren't worth the hassle. Just mi dos Pesos!!!!

I'm really frustrated. I am trying to find a job here in NY, but it seems half the available jobs require Bilingual as an absolute MUST. Isn't there some way this is Discrimination? I can't find a job because I'm an English Speaking American!! It just seems so absurd. How can this be legal???

Just another reason to leave the cesspool along the Hudson! I do think a great New Yorker summed it up very well........"Go west young man" applied then an now. PA jobs abound when one decides that the bright lights and big city aren't worth the hassle. Just mi dos Pesos!!!!

Well, this is an easy one.

No, it isn't discrimination. A PA who can speak Spanish and English will get the job because they can do it better than you, given the high percentage of Spanish-speaking patients. That's simply hiring the most-qualified individual, the bedrock of American capitalism.

So sleep easy. You're not being discriminated against for this job. It's just that other people will do it better than you will because they are more qualified.

Well, this is an easy one.

No, it isn't discrimination. A PA who can speak Spanish and English will get the job because they can do it better than you, given the high percentage of Spanish-speaking patients. That's simply hiring the most-qualified individual, the bedrock of American capitalism.

So sleep easy. You're not being discriminated against for this job. It's just that other people will do it better than you will because they are more qualified.

gotta agree here. but the word DISCRIMINATE itself has it's own ups & downs. "I am discriminating because I prefer organic, range free, eggs. i.e. I prefer the better choice IMO." but if I say in mixed racial company. "yeah, sure , I DO discriminate." the nuance of the 2nd stmt has negative racial overtones. so many words are undergoing nuance changes. but it has been thus for as long as we have had verbal language. most of us in this forum wouldn't understand a word of Middle English, circa 1400=1700's. as always, IMHO.

gotta agree here. but the word DISCRIMINATE itself has it's own ups & downs. "I am discriminating because I prefer organic, range free, eggs. i.e. I prefer the better choice IMO." but if I say in mixed racial company. "yeah, sure , I DO discriminate." the nuance of the 2nd stmt has negative racial overtones. so many words are undergoing nuance changes. but it has been thus for as long as we have had verbal language. most of us in this forum wouldn't understand a word of Middle English, circa 1400=1700's. as always, IMHO.

In a way it makes sense. Why would I hire a PA or MD AND a spanish speaker when someone can do both. NY is an awful job market because of PA program SATURATION. Despite this I find a number of job openings for "native speakers". I guess you are only interested in primary care? This can be hard in NY because many top NP schools produce many primary care NPs. Try looking through NP job listings. I do not share the same feelings of discrimination ... but i respect your frustrations.

In a way it makes sense. Why would I hire a PA or MD AND a spanish speaker when someone can do both. NY is an awful job market because of PA program SATURATION. Despite this I find a number of job openings for "native speakers". I guess you are only interested in primary care? This can be hard in NY because many top NP schools produce many primary care NPs. Try looking through NP job listings. I do not share the same feelings of discrimination ... but i respect your frustrations.

Archived