Reverse Discrimination, or Where are the jobs for non-Spanish speakers?

Your lack of employment options may have little to do with Mono-ligualism and actually be related to your obvious poor understanding of English.

I'll give you a hint: There is NO SUCH THING as "Reverse Discrimination."

One is either "Discriminating" or not...

Its either "Discrimination" or it isn't...

Your lack of employment options may have little to do with Mono-ligualism and actually be related to your obvious poor understanding of English.

I'll give you a hint: There is NO SUCH THING as "Reverse Discrimination."

One is either "Discriminating" or not...

Its either "Discrimination" or it isn't...

Acually there isn't a such thing... and its a shame that "supposedly" educated folks can't/won't see that. The term "reverse discrimination" is an oxymoron. Just like "Jumbo shrimp", "Dress Pants," or "Natural laxative."

Discrimination is Discrimination. There really is only one type of discrimination. The only way to "reverse" it is to simply NOT Discriminate.

Acually there isn't a such thing... and its a shame that "supposedly" educated folks can't/won't see that. The term "reverse discrimination" is an oxymoron. Just like "Jumbo shrimp", "Dress Pants," or "Natural laxative."

Discrimination is Discrimination. There really is only one type of discrimination. The only way to "reverse" it is to simply NOT Discriminate.

I shadowed a PA in Arizona who spoke very basic Spanish: "como estas?" was about it. He had a MA come in to translate and approx 50% of his patients only spoke Spanish. He got by because he claimed to understand and know basic Spanish..

Perhaps take a class or buy those language CDs so you can get a basic command of it? never hurts to know more languages.

I shadowed a PA in Arizona who spoke very basic Spanish: "como estas?" was about it. He had a MA come in to translate and approx 50% of his patients only spoke Spanish. He got by because he claimed to understand and know basic Spanish..

Perhaps take a class or buy those language CDs so you can get a basic command of it? never hurts to know more languages.

Hey there, I'm a fellow new-grad PA who is in the same boat, still interviewing for jobs in my home city (I had an ER job offer 3 hours away but my sig. other decided we're not moving)

Couple suggestions for you:

One is that many communities centers and organizations have opportunities for you to volunteer with a variety of non-English speakers, helping watch kids, help with homework, serve meals, etc. You'll be surprised how fast you pick it up! If your Spanish is not bad, try and look for a group called "intercambio" it's really fun. You meet with a Spanish speaker who is trying to learn English, so half the hour you converse in English, the other half of the time in Spanish to help both of you practice.

Other suggestion is that while you are waiting to find a job, volunteer at a free clinic. Not only will it be great to keep your skills in practice and help out your community, but you will meet many of the other providers that volunteer there, and it may lead to a job.

Good luck!

(and though this may seem obvious, have you considered moving outside NYC?)

Hey there, I'm a fellow new-grad PA who is in the same boat, still interviewing for jobs in my home city (I had an ER job offer 3 hours away but my sig. other decided we're not moving)

Couple suggestions for you:

One is that many communities centers and organizations have opportunities for you to volunteer with a variety of non-English speakers, helping watch kids, help with homework, serve meals, etc. You'll be surprised how fast you pick it up! If your Spanish is not bad, try and look for a group called "intercambio" it's really fun. You meet with a Spanish speaker who is trying to learn English, so half the hour you converse in English, the other half of the time in Spanish to help both of you practice.

Other suggestion is that while you are waiting to find a job, volunteer at a free clinic. Not only will it be great to keep your skills in practice and help out your community, but you will meet many of the other providers that volunteer there, and it may lead to a job.

Good luck!

(and though this may seem obvious, have you considered moving outside NYC?)

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-29/politics/supreme.court.discrimination_1_promotional-exams-white-firefighters-test-results?_s=PM:POLITICS

I would argue that the term of reverse discrimination is a widely used term, even by the country's highest court. I have included the enclosed link to demonstrate my point. However, I also see the point that if you feel discriminated against, there is no "reverse" about it. You are being discriminated against...it is simply that once where you feel you were in the majority, you find yourself suddenly in the minority, it's as if things went in reverse or flipped around. It is not an easy position to be in. If a person is always used to winning, it suddenly feels quite awkward and frustrating to be losing and there is going to be an adjustment period.

I know of large swaths of population who are English speaking Americans and haven't been able to get a job due to lack of educational accomplishments. This is nothing new. Most of those folks attended the courses needed to gain the education required and moved forward. Or they relocated to an area and settled into a lifestyle where they felt the most at ease. "Bucking the system" is hard...good luck on your quest. If it was me, I'd head to Bariloche, Argentina in northern Patagonia and attend a month at http://www.lamontana.com/ with a concurrent homestay. My wife and I had a blast doing it a few years ago and the area is just jaw dropping gorgeous. You can come back from that little adventure very tuned up with some basic spanish skills to get you by. The school also arranged to have private tutor lessons for a week doing just medical spanish as well 1:1 for me. 3 weeks homestay which included 2 rented bedrooms (we rented our son his own room), a shared bath, two meals a day, 4 hours of school/day for my wife and I, 4 hours of day care/day for our son, tuition, books ran us $1500/USD in 2005. No car rental needed

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-29/politics/supreme.court.discrimination_1_promotional-exams-white-firefighters-test-results?_s=PM:POLITICS

I would argue that the term of reverse discrimination is a widely used term, even by the country's highest court. I have included the enclosed link to demonstrate my point. However, I also see the point that if you feel discriminated against, there is no "reverse" about it. You are being discriminated against...it is simply that once where you feel you were in the majority, you find yourself suddenly in the minority, it's as if things went in reverse or flipped around. It is not an easy position to be in. If a person is always used to winning, it suddenly feels quite awkward and frustrating to be losing and there is going to be an adjustment period.

I know of large swaths of population who are English speaking Americans and haven't been able to get a job due to lack of educational accomplishments. This is nothing new. Most of those folks attended the courses needed to gain the education required and moved forward. Or they relocated to an area and settled into a lifestyle where they felt the most at ease. "Bucking the system" is hard...good luck on your quest. If it was me, I'd head to Bariloche, Argentina in northern Patagonia and attend a month at http://www.lamontana.com/ with a concurrent homestay. My wife and I had a blast doing it a few years ago and the area is just jaw dropping gorgeous. You can come back from that little adventure very tuned up with some basic spanish skills to get you by. The school also arranged to have private tutor lessons for a week doing just medical spanish as well 1:1 for me. 3 weeks homestay which included 2 rented bedrooms (we rented our son his own room), a shared bath, two meals a day, 4 hours of school/day for my wife and I, 4 hours of day care/day for our son, tuition, books ran us $1500/USD in 2005. No car rental needed

Quietmedic; I think the general population sees no problem with your use of the english language

American Heritage Dictonary;

Reverse Discrimination;

n.

Discrimination against members of a dominant or majority group, especially when resulting from policies established to correct discrimination against members of a minority or disadvantaged group.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Reverse Discrimination; Noun. Discrimination against whites or males (as in employment or education)

Encyclopedia Britannica

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/500438/reverse-discrimination

Archived