PA shadow opportunity

• 2 weeks later...

I can share my info, I don't live in the area I am down in Georgia, but have applied to Franklin Pierce. I called over 15 different offices down here from internal Med to pediatrics. Many places shot me down and others wouldn't call back so you have to be very persistent. If the offices don't return your calls go into the office early in the morning, when the office manager is not so swamped and ask to speak with him/her. I also looked up the offices on the internet first to make sure they even employed PAs. I finally got through to a local orthopedic hospital down here and am jobshadowing a PA in orthopedic surgery. It is amazing! Overall you just have to be adamant about it. For my jobshadowing I had to get in proof of Hep B vaccines, a drug test, background check, and PPD test. The other option is to start volunteering at the local hospital which I am also doing and ask to be in an area you know a PA may be. Such as surgery or cardiology. The hospital I am volunteering at does not "allow" jobshadowing but I am sneaking it in hopefully by at least getting to help out a PA through my volunteering. Oh i also shadowed a PA in Family Practice at a community health clinic. This was a bit easier since she was one of my patients, but still you can try health clinics too. Hope this will help. Everyone says that PAs would love to have you shadow them and I am sure they do, there is just a lot of paper/startup work to get to that point.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience is much like crysmae48 in finding PA's to shadow. I was able to get ahold of a book which listed all the PA's in my county and surrounding counties. I started calling each PA and leaving messages or speaking directly to them. Some returned my calls and others didn't. Some were interested in letting me shadow..some weren't. It took time and dedication to find PA's that were interested in shadowing opportunities. A helpful hint is to let them know you want to become a PA and value them taking the time to show you their particular specialty.

Some PA specialties allow you to just show up and spend the day with the PA; family med, internal med, neurology, dermatology, etc. Other specialties, such as cardiothoracic surgery, will take time (for me months) to get approval and have you jump through hoops for the right approvals. But trust me, when you're in surgery looking down on an opened chest with the heart beating it's well worth the effort!!

So call lots of PA's, keep calling them and don't give up!

FPPA, I do not have an invitation to interview yet. I received an email saying my application is being reviewed for the February interview session. I pray I get an invite though, Franklin Pierce is my number one on the list. I need to get out of Georgia and back to New England :). Once you get in with a PA to shadow also ask them if they know anyone. The PA I currently am with, shadowed an internalist before he went to school and he is asking if I could shadow him also. Goodluck if you have an interview date already.

Archived