SJVC Application Submission....Stressful days...Stressful nights...Freaking out!!!

Just to give a little background. Ive been stressing about this for months now, but now more than ever since the waiting game has started. My overall GPA is nothing stellar...however my pre-reqs for the SJVC program are pretty decent...mostly B's. The school is about 3 hrs away from where i live which is perfect for me since i wanna get out in my own, yet still be close to home to still visit. Then I read somewhere on the forums that most of SJVC accepted students are from the central valley area...which absolutely crushed my dreams in a sense....but i decided to apply anyways and hope for the best.

So....I submitted my app for the PA program at SJVC about a month ago. Received a letter in the mail stating they received my application and a thank you for applying. I received a phone call from the school about a week ago, but unfortunately i couldn't pick up the phone because i was at work. I started freaking out because no message was left...and have been stressing ever since wondering if it was something regarding my application! I'm hesitant to call because i know their busy as im sure they're receiving a high volume of applications right now.

Dose anyone know how long it takes to hear back acceptance/denial, interview, etc....?? any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Thank you for your interest in the SJVC Primary Care PA program. The admission cycle is in its beginning phase. No interviews have been granted, to my knowledge no applications have been denied. SJVC has just started the first round of reviewing apps. Please return the call, someone may want clarification on something. Interviews are several months away. Notifications usually are made in spring. Class start is usually July/Aug.

Yes, most of the students accepted are from the Central Valley. It goes back to the program's mission. There are also students from NorCal, SoCal and out of state. But SJVC is a small program (this year goal is to accept 22 students minimum.) About 2-6 students admitted are not from the CV. With the increase of applications that demographic may change. But priorty is given to finding applicants that will practice primary care in the Central Valley.

Please, don't freak out.

LesH.

Thank you for your interest in the SJVC Primary Care PA program. The admission cycle is in its beginning phase. No interviews have been granted, to my knowledge no applications have been denied. SJVC has just started the first round of reviewing apps. Please return the call, someone may want clarification on something. Interviews are several months away. Notifications usually are made in spring. Class start is usually July/Aug.

Yes, most of the students accepted are from the Central Valley. It goes back to the program's mission. There are also students from NorCal, SoCal and out of state. But SJVC is a small program (this year goal is to accept 22 students minimum.) About 2-6 students admitted are not from the CV. With the increase of applications that demographic may change. But priorty is given to finding applicants that will practice primary care in the Central Valley.

Please, don't freak out.

LesH.

Thanks for the INFO Lesh!! I really appreciate it!

I will give SJVC a call Monday morning. Trying my best to stay positive and not "freak out" but this waiting game is killing me!! Now that I somewhat have a timeline it puts me at ease...

Lesh..any stats that you know of on students applying from out of the Central Valley area?? Also, if I am applying with a Bachelors degree....how exactly does the whole master's option work?? does it cause an extra workload that would compromise performance in the PA courses?

Thanks Again!

Thanks for the INFO Lesh!! I really appreciate it!

I will give SJVC a call Monday morning. Trying my best to stay positive and not "freak out" but this waiting game is killing me!! Now that I somewhat have a timeline it puts me at ease...

Lesh..any stats that you know of on students applying from out of the Central Valley area?? Also, if I am applying with a Bachelors degree....how exactly does the whole master's option work?? does it cause an extra workload that would compromise performance in the PA courses?

Thanks Again!

Lesh..any stats that you know of on students applying from out of the Central Valley area??

No, not off hand.

Also, if I am applying with a Bachelors degree....how exactly does the whole master's option work?? does it cause an extra workload that would compromise performance in the PA courses?

You should attend an orientation, the MMS is another issue. It does cause extra work.

Lesh..any stats that you know of on students applying from out of the Central Valley area??

No, not off hand.

Also, if I am applying with a Bachelors degree....how exactly does the whole master's option work?? does it cause an extra workload that would compromise performance in the PA courses?

You should attend an orientation, the MMS is another issue. It does cause extra work.

When is the next orientation?? I'm about 4hrs from Visalia in the Riverside County Area.. Wouldn't mind making the trip, unless there is somewhere else to get the info online? I followed the link to the Saint Francis website but the info there is somewhat limited.

Here's a better question....What is the overall benefit or is there a benefit at all to obtaining a Masters Degree along with being a PA-C?? is it merely to say you have a Masters or does this aid in ones seek for employment after completion of the PA Program?

In the hospital I work at...I see prescriptions all the time and talk to PA's on a daily basis and Ive yet to see one with a Masters designation next to their name. In your opinion, is it even worth taking on the extra work to the already strenuous curriculum of the PA Program?

Thanks.

-jw

When is the next orientation?? I'm about 4hrs from Visalia in the Riverside County Area.. Wouldn't mind making the trip, unless there is somewhere else to get the info online? I followed the link to the Saint Francis website but the info there is somewhat limited.

Here's a better question....What is the overall benefit or is there a benefit at all to obtaining a Masters Degree along with being a PA-C?? is it merely to say you have a Masters or does this aid in ones seek for employment after completion of the PA Program?

In the hospital I work at...I see prescriptions all the time and talk to PA's on a daily basis and Ive yet to see one with a Masters designation next to their name. In your opinion, is it even worth taking on the extra work to the already strenuous curriculum of the PA Program?

Thanks.

-jw

Information is found on the Fourm's school thread under Open House.

For the PAs SJVC trains and wants to see practice in the CV I have seen no benefit in the job market at this time. There used to be a FA incentive but that may discontinue for SJVC students after this year. It shouldn't be a reason to choose SJVC. Applying to an MS program may be beneficial in terms of getting accepted or jobs elsewhere. It doesn't appear to be a priorty for the SJVC ADCOM.

In the hospital I work at...I see prescriptions all the time and talk to PA's on a daily basis and Ive yet to see one with a Masters designation next to their name. In your opinion, is it even worth taking on the extra work to the already strenuous curriculum of the PA Program? Thanks. -jw

It depends on why one wants the degree. You can get one after you get certified.

Information is found on the Fourm's school thread under Open House.

For the PAs SJVC trains and wants to see practice in the CV I have seen no benefit in the job market at this time. There used to be a FA incentive but that may discontinue for SJVC students after this year. It shouldn't be a reason to choose SJVC. Applying to an MS program may be beneficial in terms of getting accepted or jobs elsewhere. It doesn't appear to be a priorty for the SJVC ADCOM.

In the hospital I work at...I see prescriptions all the time and talk to PA's on a daily basis and Ive yet to see one with a Masters designation next to their name. In your opinion, is it even worth taking on the extra work to the already strenuous curriculum of the PA Program? Thanks. -jw

It depends on why one wants the degree. You can get one after you get certified.

If you decide to stay overnight in Visalia, we got a good 'priceline' deal where you name your own price. We stayed at the Holiday Inn for about $50 below asking price, and its about 2 minutes away from the college.

Yes if you could please let me know how to get that deal...I would appreciate it. I just left a message with Aubrey Priest at SJVC to attend the November Orientation, and due to the start time I will most likely stay overnight.

Thanks!

If you decide to stay overnight in Visalia, we got a good 'priceline' deal where you name your own price. We stayed at the Holiday Inn for about $50 below asking price, and its about 2 minutes away from the college.

Yes if you could please let me know how to get that deal...I would appreciate it. I just left a message with Aubrey Priest at SJVC to attend the November Orientation, and due to the start time I will most likely stay overnight.

Thanks!

Archived