PA's in Canada??

Hi all!

I'm a Canadian graduate very interested in the PA profession. I know the job prospects of PA's in the USA look excellent! Not sure about Canada? Seems not to be a well known profession! Anybody here has any insight regarding PA practice in Canada (specifically Ontario)?? Job prospects/salary?? Tried searching online but didn't find much info!

Hi all!

I'm a Canadian graduate very interested in the PA profession. I know the job prospects of PA's in the USA look excellent! Not sure about Canada? Seems not to be a well known profession! Anybody here has any insight regarding PA practice in Canada (specifically Ontario)?? Job prospects/salary?? Tried searching online but didn't find much info!

I had 3 Canadians in my class. I believe 2 work in the USA and one works in Ontario(and is board certified in the US and Canada).

Check either the CAPA or Health Force Ontario websites...or you could google "physician assistant jobs canada". Not sure how things are going in Ontario right now that they're in the data analysis phase of the pilot projects, though I do know that there are jobs here in Manitoba up for hire.

SK

Although I am only about 6 weeks into the program here in Ontario, I have spoken quite a bit with our programs staff along with previous grads (albeit there aren't a lot of them). I'm at McMaster and my understanding is that to date everyone that has graduated currently has a position. There has been government funding the last two years for employers in isolated and/or underserved areas of between 46 and 92k but it has been announced very last minute and it probably wont go much longer than the next couple of years. Most PA's have been working in Family, Orthopedics, or the ED with their scope of practice being VERY dependent upon their specific placement, skills, and SP. As far as salary, I have heard from 75 to over 100 although I haven't seen anyones T4. It is definitely a new career path in Canada with around 250 PA's working in the entire country. There may be a lack of a concrete future but it's also a very exciting time with all the possibilities. I personally have had nothing but positive reactions from physicians although my peers have had both positive and negative words from physicians and nurses. Hope that helped!

Stroom thanks so much for the insight. It did bring my hopes up! I was kind of concerned about the future of PA's in Ontario especially since it's still a relatively new profession and not very well known by the public! By the way how do u like it at McMaster? I was kind of debating between whether I should do the program in Michigan or Ontario!

McMaster has been really good. The faculty and the people within the program have all been very positive and willing to help out in any way. Being a new profession there really isn't any certainty in it but most of what I have heard has been positive so I'm just crossing my fingers it all works out. My understanding for getting hired is that quite a few people met their employers in their second year during their clerkships and I imagine hospitals and doctors wanting to hire especially with the funding announced would be contacting the school as well? I'll let you know in a couple years ;)

McMaster has been really good. The faculty and the people within the program have all been very positive and willing to help out in any way. Being a new profession there really isn't any certainty in it but most of what I have heard has been positive so I'm just crossing my fingers it all works out. My understanding for getting hired is that quite a few people met their employers in their second year during their clerkships and I imagine hospitals and doctors wanting to hire especially with the funding announced would be contacting the school as well? I'll let you know in a couple years ;)

Archived