writing sample during interview?

Is there anyone out there that could please elaborate on the writing sample portion of the interview? This is my first time applying to PA school and I have no experience doing a writing sample for an interview. I tried looking through this forum without much luck. I'd REALLY appreciate any help! To clarify, I am not trying to ask for specific examples of questions... just some vague idea of what is expected. Is the purpose to see how well you can write and improvise, or is it to test your knowledge on a specific topic? I will be terrified if I sit down and have to write about a politically-charged essay on something like the future of health care.

vas113,

The writing samples at most schools consist of 2 to 3 essay style questions. Typically most schools give candidates 30 to 40 minutes to complete this exercise and usually it is the first part of your interview. Most of the questions have been focused on medical ethics, healthcare in america, how you resolve conflict, and morality. They expect you to form an opinion, write a well formed paragraph and have proper grammar and spelling. Often the faculty will refer back to your essay questions during your interviews. I hope this helps...feel free to message me if you have any further questions. I interviewed at Drexel already...

• 1 month later...

What is it with applicants wanting to know about essay questions are asked? Let me put it bluntly ... if you're not able to answer an essay question on your own to the best of your ability, then you probably shouldn't be at the interview in the first place. It's called thinking on your feet, people, better get used to it now because it'll be the rest of your career.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 12/6/2011 at 4:56 PM, Hemegroup said:

What is it with applicants wanting to know about essay questions are asked? Let me put it bluntly ... if you're not able to answer an essay question on your own to the best of your ability, then you probably shouldn't be at the interview in the first place. It's called thinking on your feet, people, better get used to it now because it'll be the rest of your career.

That was not a helpful response.  Little less snark, little more empathy.

Archived