Undergrad Research Project?

I am considering doing an undergrad research project related to health and even have an idea of what I would like to do the project on, however, I am not sure if it's the best option for me. I'm not particularly science-minded as far as research goes and haven't actually done a project like this since elementary school (and had a hard time coming up with ideas for the projects even then).

My question is, does a research project look good on an application for PA school if it's related to health? And, did you do an undergrad research project? I have no idea what to expect or how it works, so any tips would be nice.

• Administrator

Research is not a PA core competency.  Sure, PAs *can* do research, and we learn to evaluate treatments using the principles of evidence-based medicine, but that's not the same as research being a PA core competency.  If you want to stand out, don't do any research at all, and instead get more HCE with the effort you would have spent on research.

I did an independent undergrad thesis project. While the end result went well (finished it..was published in a bio journal), I would certainly not recommend it. It was a difficult thing to do and I would not go through that again.

Like Rev said, get HCE. That will enhance your app more than research.

Archived