Students giving gifts at end of rotation

I just finished precepting a student. She did fine, no major concerns. On the last day she said thank you and handed me a sealed envelope. Later, at home, I opened it and it was a nice little card -- with a $40 Amazon code.

My organization's code of conduct says that gift cards are the same as cash, and I can't accept gifts from vendors, drug reps, patients, or "others." There's nothing specific to students.

So, it was a lovely thought, and I believe the student meant well, but... awkward. Especially since the evaluation has yet to be completed. Feels kind of like the Vikings: 85-yard drive, fumble on the 3 yard line.

Has anything like this happened to you? I have a pretty good idea about how to proceed (document document document, politely return it, don't make a big deal of it on the evaluation) so this is less for advice and more for discussion.

I personally think this is, at minimum, in poor taste, but really getting close to bribery. Cards are fine, but gift cards, to me, feel like the student is trying to get you to evaluate well, or remember them when it comes time for them to start looking for a job. That's my take on it, coming from a pre-PA student.

Agreed, awkward, inappropriate, weird, etc.  For the student's sake, I hope you give her some indication that she should probably cease this practice.  Of course, no big deal necessary, but if it was her first rotation help the girl out so she doesn't do this for a whole year!  Simply telling her it's against policy to accept gifts might not get the whole message across if she thought it was a good idea in the first place.

usually my students bring cookies for the staff or something on the last day. working in a dept with lots of staff who help with students I would probably just use the money to buy some food items for the staff xmas party and leave it at that. agree, it's awkward, but would just let it go.

usually my students bring cookies for the staff or something on the last day. working in a dept with lots of staff who help with students I would probably just use the money to buy some food items for the staff xmas party and leave it at that. agree, it's awkward, but would just let it go.

I see your point, but this is a tiny after-hours urgent care, with very few staff people.

To All:

I sincerely hope it doesn't cause the student any trouble with their program, and I'll do what I can to keep it contained, but I feel like due diligence on my part means reviewing the packet of stuff the program sent me at the beginning, and making sure they don't also have a policy touching on the subject. And I'm checking with my group leader about interpreting our internal policy.

This person is set to graduate in May, actually, and this was their 3rd rotation. I'll definitely advise against gift cards in future (although the plate of homemade cookies is a classic for a reason).

If you can't get it back to her - then donate it to a cause - make sure you document it.

I would never have given more than cookies or baked bread as a student - it is suspicious behavior.

Hopefully hers was innocent in nature and not expecting good marks in return.

I think the students I precept have a policy about such. I usually take a student to lunch once or twice during their rotation - I definitely have more income than they do............................

Good thing to remember - thanks for posting it.

I would send it back to her privately, with a note telling her that the card was nice, but the gift card was totally inappropriate, and a suggestion that she not do that again with future preceptors as it may indicate a desire to influence her evaluation.

Then evaluate her how she did on the rotation.

As to students bringing gifts/cookies/lunch - these kids are BROKE, I don't think we should be encouraging them to pay for anything else.  

I knew a male classmate who really loved his preceptor and his rotation, so he got him a $50 amazon giftcard, but only after getting graded. I thought it was a nice gesture in that context. I think she just meant this to say thanks. I don't think it should affect her evaluation. I agree with the above, to just let the program know that students shouldn't give cash gifts.

Counter point......

can not take it before grading...

if grades are in, well you spend a lot of time and effort to mentor someone well

I will never forget the worst mentor I had - senior resident in a VA hospital - she threw her chief under the bus at M&M - which in turn brought a world of trouble her way.  Which she in turn used to give me a crazy crappy review......  for her I should have delivered a steaming pile of pooh....

But seriously, precepting is hard work, and means a lot of extra time - as long as dollar value is minimal, and AFTER grading done.... no big deal

I for one hate cookies and homemade baked goods - I am already loosing the battle of the bulge with a 2 yr old at home, don;t need more yummy food hanging around.....

I got a nice thank you card from the student I had this summer.  It came after I did her review.  It is nice to be acknowledged and I appreciated it.

I also got a little gift bag from a pre-PA student who shadowed me for a few days, and who I met at a work related orientation.  She is an MA that works at a different facility.  She gave me a bottle of hand cream and hand sanitizer.  I'm still using them.  I did not think of it as bribery or anything like that.  She was not a PA student yet,though.  I honestly would not  have blinked twice if a student gave me a thank you gift as long as it wasn't money.  

Guess I'm just old fashioned that way.  Now you all ruined it for me.  I will feel guilty if I get a little gift from the next student. I do not know if my employer has a policy on students giving gifts.  Will have to check it out. 

I got a nice thank you card from the student I had this summer.  It came after I did her review.  It is nice to be acknowledged and I appreciated it.

I also got a little gift bag from a pre-PA student who shadowed me for a few days, and who I met at a work related orientation.  She is an MA that works at a different facility.  She gave me a bottle of hand cream and hand sanitizer.  I'm still using them.  I did not think of it as bribery or anything like that.  She was not a PA student yet,though.  I honestly would not  have blinked twice if a student gave me a thank you gift as long as it wasn't money.  

Guess I'm just old fashioned that way.  Now you all ruined it for me.  I will feel guilty if I get a little gift from the next student. I do not know if my employer has a policy on students giving gifts.  Will have to check it out. 

A little gift is ok imo. Something with cash value or something expensive, is too much. Hand cream and sanitizer is thoughtful and a really great gift. A $40 gift card is a completely different story.

I just finished precepting a student. She did fine, no major concerns. On the last day she said thank you and handed me a sealed envelope. Later, at home, I opened it and it was a nice little card -- with a $40 Amazon code.

My organization's code of conduct says that gift cards are the same as cash, and I can't accept gifts from vendors, drug reps, patients, or "others." There's nothing specific to students.

So, it was a lovely thought, and I believe the student meant well, but... awkward. Especially since the evaluation has yet to be completed. Feels kind of like the Vikings: 85-yard drive, fumble on the 3 yard line.

Has anything like this happened to you? I have a pretty good idea about how to proceed (document document document, politely return it, don't make a big deal of it on the evaluation) so this is less for advice and more for discussion.

It has only happened to me once and it was with an excellent student. He had a great learning experience and I enjoyed mentoring him. An the last day of his rotation he gave me 2 bottles of wine based on some small talk we had during his rotation. I thanked him but told him it would be inappropriate...to save them and we would open them to celebrate his graduation when that happened. He understood and nobody was embarrassed. I did not make any mention of it to his school...it was a no harm no foul issue. After he graduated I received the same 2 bottles in a delivery with a nice note. We still stay in touch. 

a polite email stating this is not a great idea for the following reasons .... thank the student very much and indicate it will be spent on a charity toy or staff makes a lot of sense to me. if you precept a lot of students and this issue comes up again you could mention it to the PA program that they should address the issue in student guidelines handbook

As a student (who was being paid generously by the government incidentally), I'd by a gift for the dept - some finger puppets of famous shrinks for my psych rotation as an example...did by coffee and doughnuts for the L&D Unit after my Obs/Gyn rotation and they were very happy with my classmate and I.  I never got the attendings anything.

SK

Archived