Working as an Medical assistant

I think there was a thread on this but I'd like to repost about this topic. I have graduated PA school and am ready to study for the PANCE. I think I need a few months of preparation (approximately 3 months). I would very much like to work in derm, but my knowledge is very limited in this field. I would also like to lose lots of weight. My idea is to find a job as a medical assistant in derm and work for 6-12 months in it hopefully gaining as much derm knowledge and experience as possible while I take the licensing exam and most importantly change my habits and becoming healthy again. I have two concerns outside the obvious one of not making so much money.

1.) Is the first derm job you get coming out as a new grad stressful? As in long hours, lots of responsibility and knowledge putting you in a position where it may be easy to lose your license? I could just take a couple months to study for the PANCE and then look for a PA job immediately, but I don't want to finish school, take the PANCE, get a job immediately and lose my license because my derm experience was lacking. Also, if the first job is nearly as stressful as school was, then that would not help me in losing weight.

2.) If I graduate and work as an MA would any advice I give or procedure I do, put me in danger of losing my license even before I get it? I heard that this could happen and wanted to verify if this was possible, for example, I work with a doctor who gets in trouble and is taken to court and they put my name on there as well because I worked with them... will this put my license in jeopardy?

I would be more concerned about how this "step back" would look to a future employer. Most employers let you reduce your hours while studying for the certification exam. Then you could get paid closer to expected salary while gaining valuable experience. And derm isn't a grueling, pull-an-all-nighter speciality. In fact, its the opposite. That's why it's such a hot field.

If you do find a job willing to hire a new grad, rest assured they don't expect you to know everything already. They will probably train you to treat conditions exactly as they would. So don't worry too much about losing your job because you didn't already know everything. As generalists, we get all of our speciality training on the job.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Totally agree with aprillh. While it's important to lose weight and be healthy, doing that isn't going to be any easier between the two jobs. Stepping back after all your hard work in school is going to be FAR worse than focusing on losing weight. It's about integrating a healthy lifestyle into your life, it will continue as an MA or PA. Also, if you know your stuff and did well in school don't let all these concerns about losing your license be your motivation for not moving forward with your life. Being a PA is your dream and passion, if it's not, you are in trouble. Take the time you need to be successful on the PANCE, but move forward.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a pretty new grad of a PA program....I started looking for jobs before I graduated and got one in derm, but I told them I could only start 3 weeks from that day. I am telling you now, do not take off 3 months to study for the PANCE....it's a waste of time. As long as you did okay in your program, you're well prepared for the exam. Just do a lot of practice tests.

In terms of wanting to get into derm, I don't know what state you live in but I think it's pretty tough to get into no matter what state. I took a huge risk despite what everyone on the forums here said (look for my earlier post a few months ago), but my contract was that I would be doing both PA work and MA work for 1 year before seeing patients (so they could train me specifically in derm). As upset as this first made me, I have to say I'm quite happy with the arrangement. I get to see a ton of derm every day but have the benefit of learning from the doctor how he diagnoses and manages the patients....and in 9 months from now when I'm on my own, I'll kick butt.

If you're worried about losing the weight, that's obviously something you'd need to take care of on your own, but I don't think that should stop you from starting work. Derm is also nice hours, usually 8-4 or 8-5. And if you're busy enough, you might not even get to eat lunch every day!

Hope this helps.

I'm a pretty new grad of a PA program....I started looking for jobs before I graduated and got one in derm, but I told them I could only start 3 weeks from that day. I am telling you now, do not take off 3 months to study for the PANCE....it's a waste of time. As long as you did okay in your program, you're well prepared for the exam. Just do a lot of practice tests.

In terms of wanting to get into derm, I don't know what state you live in but I think it's pretty tough to get into no matter what state. I took a huge risk despite what everyone on the forums here said (look for my earlier post a few months ago), but my contract was that I would be doing both PA work and MA work for 1 year before seeing patients (so they could train me specifically in derm). As upset as this first made me, I have to say I'm quite happy with the arrangement. I get to see a ton of derm every day but have the benefit of learning from the doctor how he diagnoses and manages the patients....and in 9 months from now when I'm on my own, I'll kick butt.

If you're worried about losing the weight, that's obviously something you'd need to take care of on your own, but I don't think that should stop you from starting work. Derm is also nice hours, usually 8-4 or 8-5. And if you're busy enough, you might not even get to eat lunch every day!

Hope this helps.

My 2 cents: your employer should teach you what you need to know. The most important thing is to ask when you don't know. Also, derm isn't usually an area where you have to worry about killing someone. I'm sure it can happen, but I have yet to see anything that come close in our office. So your license should be fine unless you go rogue.

My derm job is not stressful in the least. I only work part time and even though there are days when my schedule is packed and double booked, it's a cakewalk compared to every other job I've had.

3 months is a long time to study for the boards... if you can work a few days a week and study that would probably be better.

As for losing weight, I understand. I gained weight in school but lost it quickly once I got my first job. I don't think you should look at it as something that keeps you from looking for a job. The weight loss will happen.

If you can help it, do not work as an MA. Work as a PA. This will help you transition into your new role as a provider. I admit when it gets crazy I room my own patients but my role in the practice is always clear: I am a provider, first and foremost.

Hope this helps.

My 2 cents: your employer should teach you what you need to know. The most important thing is to ask when you don't know. Also, derm isn't usually an area where you have to worry about killing someone. I'm sure it can happen, but I have yet to see anything that come close in our office. So your license should be fine unless you go rogue.

My derm job is not stressful in the least. I only work part time and even though there are days when my schedule is packed and double booked, it's a cakewalk compared to every other job I've had.

3 months is a long time to study for the boards... if you can work a few days a week and study that would probably be better.

As for losing weight, I understand. I gained weight in school but lost it quickly once I got my first job. I don't think you should look at it as something that keeps you from looking for a job. The weight loss will happen.

If you can help it, do not work as an MA. Work as a PA. This will help you transition into your new role as a provider. I admit when it gets crazy I room my own patients but my role in the practice is always clear: I am a provider, first and foremost.

Hope this helps.

Archived