Interviews: Allow myself to introduce....myself...

The classic question: Tell me a bit about yourself. (ok..maybe not a question, but you get the point) How is this best answered?

I've been pouring through practice questions for months, interviewing myself while driving (plenty of funny looks I'll tell you!), trying to come up with thoughtful answers to some of the most common questions, and even some not so common ones (If you were an animal, what animal would you be? umm..errr...human?) Ultimately, I seem to find myself stumbling the most with the classic request: Tell me a bit about yourself. With my first interviews being mere weeks away, I feel as if I need some closure, something concrete to answer with, but what? The answer needs to be succinct, no rambling. Do I bring up points that I didn't include in my PS? Assume that the interviewer hasn't memorized my PS line-by-line and re-address some of those points? Tell about my childhood? I see this as a venue to really tell them about the person that I am and not the applicant. Describe seemingly innocuous anecdotes? Use this as a forum to really outline my "PA" potential or simply that I'm a well rounded, fun, pleasant individual. Any thoughts are welcome! Good luck to all!!

Relax...if you're rehearsing lines, you'll stumble when the questions are asked, desperately trying to recall what you've MEMORIZED. Bad idea with any public speaking forum. You should have bulleted ideas in your head, same as if you were working through a powerpoint. The questions will be phrased differently than what you've memorized them as. Think of it as a first date...do you go into that with weeks of practice? hopefully not :) Good rest, nicely caffeinated, look sharp and be on point.

I think of interviews as interpersonal sessions. They know you on paper, now they want to see if you're personable/approachable as any PA would need to be when working with patients. Smile, answer the questions asked of you, come up with responses without fumbling. But most importantly, relaxxxxx....like the duck, calm cool and collective on the surface, and paddling frivolously underneath.

So i guess to actually answer your question: i usually sum up what I've been doing professionally, educationally, and personally in the last 2-3 years of life when they ask that generic opener. Then I'll get more detailed on the subsequent questions. Good luck!

Well, it reassures me that I'm not the only one who thinks the car is the perfect practice place! :)

I've been to several interviews and haven't been asked that yet. So...maybe you're fretting over something that won't come to pass. I agree with the bulleted points idea that FriarMedic mentions and the overall strategy of confidence, calm and competence. (And, apparently, alliteration. Whoa! Twice in a row!)

Some advice that helps keep me calm: they already want you. Go in there with that idea in mind. Getting the interview out of hundreds of others was the really hard part, you just have to be yourself now. Good luck! I hope you do well.

Thank you all for the input! I didn't intend to insinuate that I'm memorizing answers, just merely trying to reflect on my convictions in order to more effectively express who I am as am individual and as a potential candidate. I do appreciate your recommendations! I plan on being sharp, thoroughly caffeinated, and as duck-like as possible! :) good luck to all!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Dude, relax. The answer you give to the interviewer is the same answer you'd give to meeting a new person, classmate, whatever. It is more of break the ice / get things rolling question than a question they are going to pour over to decide if they should accept you or not. You should however say how you came about wanting to be a PA in in. Mine went something like this... "Well I grew up in xyz and moved to abc at 18, I took two years off of school and then decided to go to school bla bla bla, unsure what to major in. I took a CNA class and loved the job and knew medicine was right for me, and I haven't looked back since. I have an older brother who lives in mno." Get it?

Some people call it an "elevator speech" Something you can deliver in 30 seconds that leaves the listener wanting to know more about you. You can google "elevator speech" and find some ideas of how to put it together. There are many ways to ask the same question...one of my favorite is "If I ask three of your closest friends to use one word to describe you, what would each one of them say?" Followed with "what are some of your weaknesses?" Seeing how you would pick three words that you feel how you are viewed by your buddies, you can take those three words and build a statement why you are a solid person.

TONS of interviews give you 30 seconds to say anything else that you would like to add. Perfect spot for a "pick me 'cuz I kick butt" elevator speech.

Archived