Does anyone have any information regarding this school?

Guest pinoyboy2pt0

Guest pinoyboy2pt0

Seems kinda quiet! Maybe because the school + program is so small? Would like to know thoughts about the program.

I am a 2001 graduate of Philadelphia University.

Its nice. I have no complaints about my education. It is an MS program now. One nice thing is that all rotations are local. Some of the newer PA programs in Philadelphia have trouble securing rotation sites and I have heard of PAs going to georgia for an IM rotation or having to secure all of their own rotations.

Hope this helps, any specific questions?

Guest pinoyboy2pt0

Any other advantages the school might have (working with cadavers (sp) was a perk? - If I'm remembering the right school)? I guess if you have any somewhat specific comments about the school's program and...maybe..why you choose them over many other Philly-area schools. How large is the program?

P.S. When people may say North and West Philly aren't the best areas...where to they mean? I guess not near Philly U and University Park?

Phila U is in one of the prettiest parts of Philly. West Philly is not far and it is not such a great area though.

As for Anatomy, you actually go to Hahnemann for the cadavers. I believe you go once a week during gross anatomy. You don't dissect though.

The reason to choose it over PCOM is that it is established and has reputation and secure rotations at Albert Einstein Medical Center and many other clinics and hospitals. I don't know much about Drexel, but I understand its just Hahneman's program with a new venue.

I chose the program at the time because it was close to home and because you applied prior to pre-reqs and bachelors but they gaurenteed me a spot in the PA program. Other schools want you to come and pay for your pre-reqs and then make you fight your way into the PA program. I did't want that uncertainty.

As for class size we started with around 45 and graduated about 35. If you fail any class you are out of the program but can retake the whole didactic year the following year. Pharmacology was a major snag, I think we lost six students to Pharm, and one of them was a Pharmacist! But the Pharm training is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Guest pinoyboy2pt0

So when people say the bad parts of Philly are around North and West Philly, do they mean North Philly north of Philadelphia University near the Oak Lane Reservoir or more near the Episcopal Hospital? I just goggled the Philadelphia University address and still not sure what the bad parts of Philly are...

I guess bad parts of West Philly include near St. Joe's and Lower Merion, not University Park?

Sorry for the directional stuff. About the Pharm class, hard bc it's memorizing a bunch of drugs or is it in detailed chemistry stuff? The rotations in house (so to speak sounds nice). My friend in p.t. school had to go to South Carolina for his rotations. P.T.'s have to do something like one out of state, one in state in county and one in state out of county. I guess rotations could be all in state for p.a. students?

• 1 year later...
Guest Grigs73

In August of 2005, Philly U built their own cadaver lab (we no longer go to Hahnemann). This was very nice because the labe was right there, no more traveling into the city.

The Phram teacher at Philly U was awesome. It is a tough class, but he is very fair.

Another thing that I really liked was the the instructors are always willing to help you.

• 3 years later...
Guest wilsonka

Anyone have any new information about this program? I noticed this thread is mostly from 2005 and the PhillyU vs PCOM thread is mostly 2007. Any recent grads have scoop one what it's been like more recently? Would love more information!

wilsonka: I am not a grad but will be starting in July and know a little about the program. They do have their own cadaver lab and it seemed very well equipped with new computers by each cadaver to help with dissections and review. they said that they usually get around 5-6 cadavers and there are usually around 40 students accepted each yr. I believe that they have different times for the anatomy lab so there is only around 3-4 students per cadaver at once? not positive on this. If you haven't visited the campus, it's gorgeous and all the facilities are newer. they also have a $60,000 practice man that they seemed very proud of. they told us during interviewing that they just became affiliated with a hospital system in Mississippi that they would be doing more rotations with. I hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

Anyone have any new information about this program? I noticed this thread is mostly from 2005 and the PhillyU vs PCOM thread is mostly 2007. Any recent grads have scoop one what it's been like more recently? Would love more information!

I'm currently in the program. I saw the comment from back in 2005 and I can honestly say this school has changed a lot! We have 10 Cadavers for 50 students. They are not dissected and we do all of the dissecting... All of the students are in the lab at the same time, and if the dissection isnt finished you can go back on your free time with people in your group. First semester when you start in july you will do nothing but anatomy for a month. You will have lecture from 9-12/1 then cadaver lab from 1-4ish. Its a really great program and they are very supportive. The pharmacy class is definitely not too bad. i came in knowing not knowing more than common OTCs and common ER drugs. The professor is a pharmacist and is a great teacher. All of the classes complement each other in the second semester. For example. If we are learning about Heart failure, Clinical medicine, lab medicine, pharm , and emergency medicine, will all lecture about that topic that day. It helps alot in the understanding from several aspects. I can honestly say Philadelphia University has given me the best education I've ever had.

The 60,000 dollar (I dont know about that) practice guy (SIMMAN) we havent been using much. We may later on but they have alot of other models for practicing. The hospital in miss is something I'm looking forward too. It is a facility which students can get alot of opporunities. All the men in the class will go there for OB/GYN because it is harder for guys to get OBGYN spots in the city. I talked with a second year who said he delivered 25 babies by himself, and did several C-Sections. And Curti1tl I answered your Private Message.

Guest PA2be24

Does anyone have an opinion between Duquesne's PA program vs. PhilaU. Like wat the pros n cons of each might be. n Also this is for the current PA program student:What happens if u decide not to be a PA anymore during undergrad n want to transfer to another major such as PT. will it be difficult since the PA program is so unique?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi PA2be24 - Did you ever got a reply on the Duquesne VS PhilaU program. I'm also interested to hear the comparison between the two programs. Both seem to be great program. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

PU has had a very good PANCE first time pass rate. DU has been pretty good also, with the exception of the 2010 class -- they had an abysmal 82% first time pass rate. The 2009 class was an acceptable 92% and 2011 was 100%. We contacted the school about the 2010 results and they said that class did not prepare well for the test. It could be just that class since other years have a good 1st time pass rate.

My daughter has been accepted to both programs starting this fall. We've been impressed with both schools. PU is in a more suburban setting and DU is in an urban setting.

Archived