Why did you choose UNE? Pros/Cons?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I very interested in this program: PANCE rates are decent, clinical year rotation network is solid and local, Portland ME is a plus for those of us with family.  But I'd like to know more about what makes this program stand apart from the rest?  Systems-based or Traditional curriculum?  Clinical simulators?  What's the first-year clinical exposure look like?  Are Maine PA practice laws PA-friendly?  Is the program situated within the medical school or separately?  "Evidence Based Medicine" courses are featured prominently throughout the curriculum--what exactly are these courses?  I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here who would love to know more about UNE. 

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Let me see if I can help some--I'm a recent graduate.  Much has changed since I went through--for the better in my opinion! 

THIS IS PURELY OPINION BASED. I'm certain many of those who came both before and after me would have other opinions...

The faculty here are great.  They are all very different personalities but seem to really mesh well with each other, and with the students.  When I was there we were assigned faculty advisors.  Most of your small group work was done within that setting.  Some had it harder than others but we all made it, and were all (as far as I know) successful.  Sure there are frustrations throughout the year.  Rigorous academics + lots of stressed out students + many of them type A will cause this no matter what.  I'm going to tell you that no matter what program you go to, while you are entrenched in the stress of it, you will have mountains of complaints that things aren't the way they should be.  While I was in the program, I was told by a then recent grad: trust the system.  Trust that no matter how little it makes sense now, it will all come together.  While I respected her and trusted her, I was hesitant.  But here I am.  And honestly, as a new grad life is super stressful but I feel that I prepared well.  

Curriculum is systems based.  The summer is a mish-mash of all of the sciences and is pure torture.  There is no feeling of rhyme or reason that first semester.  Deal with it--it gets better!! Fall and spring are broken into modules.  Each from 1 week to 4 weeks depending on how critical it is.  Loosely follows the PA blueprint.  These are taught mostly by guest lecturers who are experts in the field.  Some are better than others and all have their own teaching styles.  I found the vast majority of them to be very clear and very good at what they do.  Others I suffered through.  It will happen.  Just know that you will have to work extra hard every now and then.  

When I was there the clinical simulation program was pretty weak.  My understanding is that since our class (who kind of forged our own way through that situation) it has been beefed up.  The gentleman that runs the sim program is INCREDIBLE.  He is always available and is awesome.  On several occasions he came in to help us run cases prior to OSCE's (google it--then forget it exists until you have to prep for it--seriously) and would really act the parts out spectacularly.  Can't say enough about him.  Again, my understanding is that this program is much more robust since I was there.  

Clinical experiences in the first year are not necessarily abundant but were fantastic.  We have a geriatric centered course that includes several visits to independent living, assisted living, and nursing homes.  Some overlap work with pharmacy, dental, PT/OT is involved in this as well.  Great program and incredibly rewarding despite not being a large volume of hours.  All of the "elder teachers" come to a big banquet at the end of the year as a thank you for teaching us and allowing us the opportunity.  Its pretty amazing really.  

The program is separate from the medical school.  While being tied to a medical school is definitely a huge plus with PA schools, I didn't feel that this impacted ME negatively.  

Maine PA laws are PA friendly although evolving a little bit.  This is all new and I'm not going to really comment on it as I don't know enough of the day to day to speak to what is going on in an educated manner.  

EBM is a course that is required each semester in the program.  It essentially involves learning how to evaluate the literature.  It's a graded process, each semester becoming more involved.  It involves journal clubs, papers (comparing articles) and lectures.  This course wasn't my favorite but only because it wasn't drilling "the medicine" in my head.  Overall a fantastic course and something I use on a regular basis.  The faculty that teach this to an amazing job.  

Overall I can't say enough about the PA program.  The faculty are really great people and very responsive to student concerns.  I know that sounds like a canned answer but it is true.  Our class was the first to test out many changes made due to concerns or suggestions from the class ahead of us and we paid it forward.  The program is ever evolving due mostly to the input of current/former students and the adaptability and compassion of the faculty.  I came out of this program feeling good about my ability to START practicing as a PA.  It's an uphill battle every single day but I feel that I was prepared as well as was possible.  I have NO reservations about recommending this program to anyone who is interested in being a PA.  

I'm with RHorgan. I am also currently attending UNE and have no complaints about the program setup. The faculty office doors are always open and they make it clear they are here to help us. There isn't one faculty member that I would hesitate to go to if I needed something. 

The only con about UNE is the parking situation. Just be quick to get your parking pass for the fall semester so you don't have to park down the road in the overflow parking lot. I think its pretty amazing that the only thing I don't like about this program is the parking situation. I'm glad I'm here. 

• 1 month later...

Are there any current 2nd year UNE students or recent graduates of the program who can speak to their experiences during clinical rotations?  I am interested in learning more about how students felt about the quality of their rotation experiences and learning opportunities, whether there was a good mix of inpatient/outpatient experiences, & whatever else you feel might be relevant.  Any input would be appreciated!

Archived