Thoughts on getting my first job as a PA

Is the job market really that strong that employers genuinely think this?

"I realized that employers know that if someone is professional and intelligent enough to earn the title of physician assistant, then they will almost assuredly be a good worker."

You may be given the benefit of the doubt until you show that you're not reliable/professional/competent/etc.  And woe be to those who demonstrate this on their first job- it sets up a pattern of undesirable jobs in the future, if any.

I think a big elephant in the room is how much your first job is going to invest in training you from day one. I see a disturbing trend of new grads getting themselves hired at places that seem to think they're ready to see big pt. loads with minimal oversight, right out of the gate. 12 months of rotations does not make one ready for this. Just like an intern, we need to convince employers that the first couple of years REQUIRE the same graduated responsibility and training as a resident. At the end of my IM rotation I was much more comfortable seeing pts. and working on their tx plans myself. Yet I was also constantly presenting to and consulting with my senior resident and attending. Sometimes I was good to go, other times I needed correction. I can't imagine not having that type of support in the years immediately after school.

So to all the senior PAs on here, how does one differentiate between a job that is going to be invested in our continued training and one that just sees a revenue generator? Is this an appropriate line of questions to ask during an interview? e.g., "How do you plan to structure my training? How will the support system of experienced providers work? etc."

So to all the senior PAs on here, how does one differentiate between a job that is going to be invested in our continued training and one that just sees a revenue generator? Is this an appropriate line of questions to ask during an interview? e.g., "How do you plan to structure my training? How will the support system of experienced providers work? etc."

Although my situation was different because my first job out of school was a formalized, structured residency program, I would recommend word-of-mouth when trying to figure out how supportive a work environment will be for you as a new grad.  This is where making connections with PAs in your area, whether at a conference or local PA society meeting, is very helpful.  If you're going to work in the same geographical location as your PA program, talking to prior grads can be helpful too.  And I don't see any issue with asking those questions during an interview.  Anyone else who's gone through this as a new grad, please chime in

Archived