Rush 2012!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

advice: don't worry about the medical terminology test, be prepared to write an essay, know your personal strengths and weaknesses, eat a big breakfast

practice answering these questions, but don't be formulaic:

http://www.aaspa.com/page.asp?tid=153&name=Preparing-for-an-Interview&navid=56

be yourself and your application can speak for itself.

Everyone at my interview was very anxious, including me, but the interview session itself is very straightforward.

I don't know anything about NU, but I know a little about Rush. Rush PA studies is a very new program, which has its pros and cons. They are in a trial period, so they may not have worked out some of the kinks in the program, nor have they graduated any students. There are no employed Rush Physician Assistant alumni....as there are no Rush PA alumni yet! However, the Health Sciences graduate programs at Rush University are very strong, with high rankings and a 40 year history. It can nearly be guaranteed that their PA program is going to wind up being one of the top in the country. After speaking with the staff and current students, you can tell that they are taking their new program very seriously. The small class size, cadaver lab availability, strong rotations and increased program length are definitely some PROS of Rush. I recommend applying to Rush, and applying early, if you feel you are a candidate to make their final class size of 20-28 students.

Chicago Chris- I agree with much of what dmccorkel said about Rush. Much the same is true for NU- they are a new program with an excellent medical school standing behind it that has a lot of resources. I ended up choosing NU because it was 1 year shorter (which could be a huge CON for some people but for me it was a huge PRO). I would say to apply to both and see where you feel more at home. Both schools are extremely competative with Rush having a final class size of 20-28 students and NU 30. Considering each school gets around 1500-2000 applications anyone interviewing should feel great about themselves =) I really, really liked Rush but couldnt justify the extra year in loans and not working but that decision is based on my family life. Hope that helps!

Got in off of the waitlist/alternate acceptance list! I was FedEx Express overnighted a letter, family got a big kick out of that. While I really liked Rush, I am in a position similar to vforth and have been accepted to another program that would definitely be less expensive, so I will be spending tomorrow figuring out the exact costs of each program and if Rush would be worth the extra $.

I was accepted after my 10/28 interview. I haven't heard back from anywhere else except for rejections. It seems like this might be my only school considering I applied in August and haven't gotten ANY other interviews. What do you guys think about me taking a year off for a less expensive school or just sucking it up, taking out loans and going? I feel like it's such a good school that I should just take out the loans and not waste time, but it is expensive! And the extra 9 months, ah.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to the other Chicago schools first in September, and just applied to Rush in November (the extra year was holding me back). I was just offered an interview in January and I'm pretty nervous. Haven't heard anything from the other schools except for Rosalind Franklin who rejected me almost immediately! I'm currently working as a dietitian and would love to work as a PA. Any advice for interviews/Rush program in general would be much appreciated, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I would go in knowing why you want to be a PA and why you want to attend Rush which is pretty standard at any interview. They probably will ask about your current work as well so be able to discuss that. Otherwise it was a pretty standard interview. I know mine was less conversational and more a question and answer type of interview and it wasn't very long. The students and faculty were also very helpful in answering any questions I had, so go prepared with lots of questions. I really was impressed by the program and the facilities they have. They are taking this new program very seriously. Best of luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived