WMU class of 2014

Good call lobeshaw, I have been thinking that :wink:

At the same time I've started looking into how to become an EMT, in case I hear back in the negative. About fed up with my current job and why not get more experience? I hope something works out for at least SOMEONE else that's posting on here! Be that me you or anyone, let's see someone get good news!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I got a letter in my mailbox yesterday, February 2nd, dated February 1st, that reads as follow:

"I would like to thank you for your interest in the Physician Assistant Program and your participation in the interview process. The Admissions Committee has completed it's review for this year and you have been placed on our alternate list. Alternate status means that should any of the selected candidates decide not to enter our program, an alternate candidate may be offered a position. Past experience indicates that at least 3-4 selected candidates may decline to attend. That statistic varies from year to year, and this year has seen an unusually high acceptance of offered positions. Nevertheless, we want to ensure that all available class positions are filled, which means that we may contact alternates as late as the first day of class in the case of unexpected vacancies.

Should you not be offered a position this year, I would encourage you to apply again next year. New applications will be available April 13th through the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants.

If you enroll in another program or have a change of address, please let us know. You may leave a message for us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Congratulations on progressing so far in a highly competitive process."

Signed by the Program Director

I'm pretty happy to have that, and I'm wondering how many alternates there are.

Well, did they say that there's a ranked system? And yes, I kind of of wondered if that was a generic rejection letter. I just thought it was odd that I posted it first. That wouldn't mean I got it first, but everyone here was asking if anyone'd heard anything, and I got that letter and thought "this is something". But yeah, I thought maybe everyone that interviewed and didn't get accepted might get that letter. So, thielen91, I assume you got the same letter? And lobeshaw you said you definitely did. Which sounds like it's a generic rejection letter but of course we still have a shot? A friend of mine in the PA program at UD Mercy said she was wait listed and got accepted in March, after she'd already accepted at UD. Hmmmm....

To be honest I'm working as a chemist down in Elkhart, IN (long commute) and was thinking maybe I could switch to be an EMT and make nearly the same money closer to Kalamazoo, helping get me into PA school next year. Then I got that letter the other morning and felt special for a second, but from you guys, sounds like you are saying it's just the rejection letter. A lot to process. Recruiter tried to get me to go for a job in Columbia, MO this morning, said he'd submit me at $70,000 a year, I told him hold off an let me research the company, and was honest about the PA school opportunity. Kind of blew him off, I want into WMU's PA prgram. But if the wait list is a rejection letter with a dangling thread to WMU... I'll still go for it. Maybe shouldn't be so honest on here (since you're my competitors and all), but I'm thinking screw the move out of state idea (I'll still explore it, but lightly). I'm thinking look a bit more into EMT training in Kalamazoo, and that's looking iffy, but at least contact KVCC about a medical terminology course (I've never taken one), and apply again in April. And I've still got potential interviews at other schools. Yeah, this is really me revealing my hand, I'm just not that competitive of a person.

Undergrad Ed School: WMU

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: by CASPA's calculations: 3.20

Science Undergrad. GPA: again, by CASPA's calculations: 2.99 (one hundredth of a point away...)

Graduate Ed School: (if applicable): I only took one class post graduation, many years later, at Kalamazoo Valley Community College. Developmental Psychology, 4.0, last summer.

Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable): as I said, 4.0 based on that one class, but it was an undergrad class

Age at application time :34

Haven't taken the GRE or MCAT

Direct Patient Care : I was program support staff for Living Ways for 4+ years while in in college, did some of the best work I've done. Also worked as a nurse for a friend who's a quadriplegic, a good friend of mine. I feel that I failed on this at the interview because I listed my job title as 'nurse'. It was simply a fact that the insurance was paying for 24 hour nursing care, so the only people beyond actual RN's that could do the care were his direct family members and longest dearest friends, and I was one of those. And I guess that on the app that was 1+ more years, and ongoing. I think it was was that I had good letters of reference, and that to me the people I know I should be a PA. Beyond that I don't know how I beat 1000 people to the interview. I have no idea.

Extracurricular/Research Activities: I've been doing pharmaceutical research for about 11 years

Schools Applied: WMU, 1 in PA, one someplace else, neither of which I much care about

Application Submitted Date: Last possible date

Schools Received Application Date: (approximate date): Not long after

Interview Invites: 1 so far

Denied: 1 so far

Withdrew Application: None

Waitlisted: WMU

Accepted: None

That didn't make sense. What I mean to say, is how do I describe work that I did that only a RN could do, no one but me could do unless they were an RN, except to say the job was nurse. Cynthia called me on that at the interview, but I wasn't trying to be shady, what else do I call the work? Program support staff is what I said under pressure, and that's true. I'm definitely not a nurse. I just work as one sometimes, and only with people close to me that always want me back.

And thank you thielen91, the message where you said the alternate letter is different than the shorter rejection letter lifted up my spirits A LOT :-)

I spoke to someone at Western today, very helpful, she confirmed that not everyone that interviewed is an alternate. She wouldn't give a number or reveal the ranking, but she said there are less than 10 alternates. She also gave me feedback on what to do to improve. I'm feeling really hopeful :-)

I called the main PA program number, described my needs to whomever answered and was then transferred to a phone that rang and got me to Holly's voicemail. Her voicemail said to also contact her via email, so I left a brief message, then that morning (I work a late second shift) I sent an email to Holly with a bit more detail and when I woke up the next afternoon I had a voicemail from Shannon. I called her on my way to work, left a message, she called me back just about right away and in a very brief conversation she absolutely answered all of my questions. She said she couldn't reveal my rank, but be proud to be an alternate (and I am). She couldn't reveal the number of alternates, but she assured me there are "definitely less than 10". Hope that helps you lobeshaw, I really hope we both get in. Or at least one of us does, even if it's you not me. We're all working at the same thing here :wink:

And thielen91, I realize that the news that you gave me (that there is a shorter rejection letter), while being good news for me, this must have all been seen as not good news for you. Don't be disheartened, there were more than 1100 applicants and by my estimation only 75-100 people were interviewed; that's a helluva cut. You can make the same phone call and get feedback too, and maybe we go through this same thing together again next year but differently positioned. And there are other schools as I'm sure you know :;-):

Lobeshow and thielen91, I wouldn't mind knowing both your stats either. I didn't realize I had a real chance to be honest, I'm really happy to have made alternate. I couldn't believe how friendly the people I spoke to at the interview (which were small in number, obviously) were. I'd be proud to attend with anyone there, and I hope to meet you two someday, preferably like that :heheh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

If you have a bachelors look into accelerated 2nd degree programs at MSU, LCC, SMC, etc. You will get your RN license in as little as one year. You will have your pick of any job you want making $27hr. Work as an RN for two years paying off debt then go to NP school. NP programs are more professional and you can practice without a doc to babysit you. Dont get hung up on WMU's program by any means! There are so many others. In fact, being rejected could very well be a blessing! EMS is low pay and will kill your health. Rewarding job and lots of fun though. God bless our EMS folks! To see how many NP to PA jobs in Kalamazoo there are, check out Bronson hospitals careers site. Far more NP jobs available than PA's; whats that tell you? Its only one town and one hospital but check it out where you live.

Archived