Pre-req Patient Care Hours for PA School

I admit I was surprised to see that working as a scribe in the ED counts now as "patient care hours" for PA school. While I understand that people will absorb some of the information and will formulate their own thoughts and ideas as a result of their exposure to patients in the ED, does this really count as direct patient care?

I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts.

I used to think the same thing. I was an RT for 4 years before PA school and felt like everyone in my class was going to have similar experience of direct hands on clinical work. However, there were a few scribes in my class and other "non-clinical" (or at least what I considered non-clinical) professions and they were some of the best students in the class. 

I don't want to be negative about people wanting to get into PA school. I teach PA students and I love it! I was just surprised recently to learn this about scribes. I think intellectually a person could benefit but I'm not sure it prepares a person for the experience of being a clinician.

Archived