Huge leap for PAs in Texas

From up here in the Northwest, it has seemed like PAs are doing pretty well in your state - we have seen dozens of jobs advertised for PAs for opening in anything from Emergency Medicne, to pain clinics, to Pulmonology, etc. Good on ya! Now - just take it to the national level and you'll all be heroes.

Andrew

Texas state board has allowed PAs to enter into practice buying with physician/groups and has also allowed PAs to be part of a professional association with them. NPs ARE NOT AFFORDED THIS BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY. This is a HUGE and i mean tremdously HUGE advancement for PAs like myself.

Who deserves the credit in this? Who are the heroes that we should thank? Was the TAPA or an independent group or even the AAPA?

From up here in the Northwest, it has seemed like PAs are doing pretty well in your state - we have seen dozens of jobs advertised for PAs for opening in anything from Emergency Medicne, to pain clinics, to Pulmonology, etc. Good on ya! Now - just take it to the national level and you'll all be heroes.

Andrew

texas rocks!

hook 'em :)

• 2 months later...
Hey guys just came across this thread. I am a Pre-PA and hope to start PA school in August of this year. So what are the benefits of being a partner in a practice. Can someone please elaborate what the benefits are for us pre-pa and pa students. I would assume that your income potential would be higher if you were a partner.

The authority to be part of the decision making process. You also share the profits AND risks more directly.

I am the owner. ALL decisions rest at my feet. I make or break the practice. But, if we are short on money, I (as the captain of the ship) am the first one not to get paid. But if we ever make a good profit, I will be the first to benefit.

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry but HB2098 is a huge leap backwards for PA's in Texas!!!! I have been a managing member/owner in a successful clinic in Texas for several years and now this law has taken several rights away from us!!! This spin about it being good for PA's is propaganda from an impotent physician assistant special interest group that spends more time defending the TMA's/TMB's actions then that of their own kind. I strongly advise PA's from all US states read the bill in its entirety to see specifically what has been done.

And as an aside, the NP's laughed at this rediculous proposition and walked away saying, "no thanks!!!!".

I'm sorry but HB2098 is a huge leap backwards for PA's in Texas!!!! I have been a managing member/owner in a successful clinic in Texas for several years and now this law has taken several rights away from us!!! This spin about it being good for PA's is propaganda from an impotent physician assistant special interest group that spends more time defending the TMA's/TMB's actions then that of their own kind. I strongly advise PA's from all US states read the bill in its entirety to see specifically what has been done.

And as an aside, the NP's laughed at this rediculous proposition and walked away saying, "no thanks!!!!".

I just read about hb2098, i agree its a step back. When i posted kudos on here, i was under the impression that in tx PAs had no partnership rights at all. This hb2098 puts tx with cali which limits ownership of a practice. But wdtpac, it states if your entity was formed prior to june 17, 2011 you would be under the old law.

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/professionals/JointlyOwnedEntities.php

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

Joel, you are partially right. However, after the legislation was passed, the TMB sent out an "addendum" to the law, requiring all PA's and MD's in this type of business relationship to register each year with them in order to indicate any corporate changes in the business. Further, they indicate that if the current supervisory relationship ends (ie the physician dies or quites), then the business entity must follow the new statute. So, since with the new law a pa or corporate entity cannot hire a MD to collaborate, AND a pa cannot own more than 49%, AND a pa under the new statute cannot have voting rights, then the "pa owner" that had those rights under the previous "grandfathering" will be forced to sell or surrender not only their rights as owners, but TANGIBLE BUSINESS ASSETS AND GOODWILL!!!

Can you say land snatching!!!!!

Joel, you are partially right. However, after the legislation was passed, the TMB sent out an "addendum" to the law, requiring all PA's and MD's in this type of business relationship to register each year with them in order to indicate any corporate changes in the business. Further, they indicate that if the current supervisory relationship ends (ie the physician dies or quites), then the business entity must follow the new statute. So, since with the new law a pa or corporate entity cannot hire a MD to collaborate, AND a pa cannot own more than 49%, AND a pa under the new statute cannot have voting rights, then the "pa owner" that had those rights under the previous "grandfathering" will be forced to sell or surrender not only their rights as owners, but TANGIBLE BUSINESS ASSETS AND GOODWILL!!!

Can you say land snatching!!!!!

This royally sucks! It's the same for us in Cali.

Sent from my HTC MT4GS using Tapatalk

hmmm interesting but I agree with some of the posters on that thread that this may come back to bite the NPs if the hospital hires MDs vs NPs due to more/better training at the same price. But who knows where this may go?

I must applaud the NP movement though. It appears they have been moving swiftly with their push to make DNP on par with Physicians whether we agree with it or not. It is a most effective PR campaign........Where's ours???

IL is getting real bad....NPs and PAs are now slowly being replaced by APNs.......my husband and I have decided to relocate OUT of IL when he retires and I have no regrets of leaving...in fact I may leave b/f he does....

Isn't an NP an APN (advanced practice nurse)?

hmmm interesting but I agree with some of the posters on that thread that this may come back to bite the NPs if the hospital hires MDs vs NPs due to more/better training at the same price. But who knows where this may go?

I must applaud the NP movement though. It appears they have been moving swiftly with their push to make DNP on par with Physicians whether we agree with it or not. It is a most effective PR campaign........Where's ours???

Yeah they're kicking our *** judging on the tone of their posts. Lots of celebrating over at allnurses and lots of griping over here at PA Forum.

I agree, that could come back to haunt NPs in ways described in that post... After all, why hire NPs if they aren't cheaper than docs. I mostly found it enlightening due to how it highlights how nurses somehow broke through a barrier seemingly without even trying. That np showed up to work one day and they hit her with a raise and parity.

Yeah, its abolutely AWESOME!!! *sarcasm mode: off* lol....

Naaaaah...

Apparently, its not given that much thought. As they, over at AAPA HQ... simply comfort themselves by reflexively repeating the oft claimed delaration that, "Those NPs are SHOOTING THEMSELVES IN THE FOOT"...

Its sad, cause this has been their automatic response to any advance the NPs make for decades.

Observation: "Look... the NPs no longer have to re-certify"...

AAPA Hacks: "They are upsetting the Physicians and shooting themselves in the foot"

Observation: "Look... the NPs no longer have to have supervision in every state"...

AAPA Hacks: "They are upsetting the Physicians and shooting themselves in the foot"

Observation: "Look... the NPs can bill insurance companies independently"...

Observation: "Look... the NPs no longer have restrictions to practice ownership in some states"...

Observation: "Look... the NPs now have some parity with physicians"...

Its delusional... and sad.

Wait a few minutes... a few of the AAPA obstructionist will be along shortly to pontificate on why this new law is ok... why if a PA wants to own their business and direct their professional practice and livelyhood, they picked the wrong profession and should have gone to MD/DO school or go take the MCAT and go to school to become a physician... and how "NPs are upsetting the Physicians and shooting themselves in the foot"... :heheh:

Wait for it... its coming

Naaaaah...

Apparently, its not given that much thought. As they, over at AAPA HQ... simply comfort themselves by reflexively repeating the oft claimed delaration that, "Those NPs are SHOOTING THEMSELVES IN THE FOOT"...

Its sad, cause this has been their automatic response to any advance the NPs make for decades.

Observation: "Look... the NPs no longer have to re-certify"...

Observation: "Look... the NPs no longer have to have supervision in every state"...

Observation: "Look... the NPs can bill insurance companies independently"...

Observation: "Look... the NPs no longer have restrictions to practice ownership in some states"...

Observation: "Look... the NPs now have some parity with physicians"...

Its delusional... and sad.

Wait a few minutes... a few of the AAPA obstructionist will be along shortly to pontificate on why this new law is ok... why if a PA wants to own their business and direct their professional practice and livelyhood, they picked the wrong profession and should have gone to MD/DO school or go take the MCAT and go to school to become a physician... and how "NPs are upsetting the Physicians and shooting themselves in the foot"... :heheh:

Wait for it... its coming

Agreed.........1000%......

I'm in total agreement as well. Stop downplaying what other professions have accomplished and put forth more effort in improving the PA profession.

Not to attack the AN poster, but how do we really know he/she is telling the truth? As an avid reader of AN in the past (not as much currently), would definitely not be the first time a fictional post was thrown there to generate discussion ? !! Again, have no evidence to the contrary, but to my knowledge a large HC organization putting NPs on the same pay scale and "level" of MDs/DOs is unprecedented (even in FP). If such a large organization that crosses "two states" makes a decision like this, wouldn't there be discussion in other arenas besides one sole post on AN? No NP organizations claiming a "victory" ? With over 9,0000 employees, certainly there are other NPs who share in this posters enthusiasm? So, all physicians (regardless of specialty) are "just fine" with this change? Not even responses on SDN yet? Even though there appear to be a small number of PAs in this org, no response from them? Surely some anti-DNP/NP/PA physician group has gotten wind of this, but no response (if DNPs calling themselves doctor gets them peeved, what about "parity" between NPs and physicians in this org?)

Myself and others have been researching this topic via internet, and have not found one mention, press release, response, note, etc of this landmark, unprecedented(?) decision. Of course it is def possible that this change is not "official" at this time. As time passes, I'm sure we'll see accolades from nursing orgs and some scathing remarks from physician groups.....

As noted, not attacking this poster (I'm an NP myself), but currently skeptical of the veracity

Yeah they're kicking our *** judging on the tone of their posts. Lots of celebrating over at allnurses and lots of griping over here at PA Forum.

Ha! Try frequenting that site more......plenty of griping!!! NPs vs CRNAs; DNPs vs MSN...there some classic, ongoing griping and "the sky is falling" threads all over the place over there. FWIW, I've never been on any healthcare forum where there wasn't griping

I'm in total agreement as well. Stop downplaying what other professions have accomplished and put forth more effort in improving the PA profession.

Not to attack the AN poster, but how do we really know he/she is telling the truth? As an avid reader of AN in the past (not as much currently), would definitely not be the first time a fictional post was thrown there to generate discussion ? !! Again, have no evidence to the contrary, but to my knowledge a large HC organization putting NPs on the same pay scale and "level" of MDs/DOs is unprecedented (even in FP). If such a large organization that crosses "two states" makes a decision like this, wouldn't there be discussion in other arenas besides one sole post on AN? No NP organizations claiming a "victory" ? With over 9,0000 employees, certainly there are other NPs who share in this posters enthusiasm? So, all physicians (regardless of specialty) are "just fine" with this change? Not even responses on SDN yet? Even though there appear to be a small number of PAs in this org, no response from them? Surely some anti-DNP/NP/PA physician group has gotten wind of this, but no response (if DNPs calling themselves doctor gets them peeved, what about "parity" between NPs and physicians in this org?)

Myself and others have been researching this topic via internet, and have not found one mention, press release, response, note, etc of this landmark, unprecedented(?) decision. Of course it is def possible that this change is not "official" at this time. As time passes, I'm sure we'll see accolades from nursing orgs and some scathing remarks from physician groups.....

As noted, not attacking this poster (I'm an NP myself), but currently skeptical of the veracity

Its true, there is no proof, thus far but there are plenty of things the NPs have over us in terms of practice restrictions, scope etc. Heck i cant fill out a FMLA form but the NP in the next cubicle can....also consider that administrative depts. in hospitals may be staffed by nurses looking out for the NP...thats why i think most hospitals in my area only hire NPs vs PAs. So the scenario on AN is in the realm of possibility.

Like i said, NPs had an agenda and they went for it. AMA be damned.... our representation is too busy talking things out with a seemingly dont rock the boat mentality. Like C pointed out in his post.

naaaaah...

Apparently, its not given that much thought. As they, over at aapa hq... Simply comfort themselves by reflexively repeating the oft claimed delaration that, "those nps are shooting themselves in the foot"...

Its sad, cause this has been their automatic response to any advance the nps make for decades.

Observation: "look... The nps no longer have to re-certify"...

Aapa hacks: "they are upsetting the physicians and shooting themselves in the foot"

observation: "look... The nps no longer have to have supervision in every state"...

Aapa hacks: "they are upsetting the physicians and shooting themselves in the foot"

observation: "look... The nps can bill insurance companies independently"...

observation: "look... The nps no longer have restrictions to practice ownership in some states"...

observation: "look... The nps now have some parity with physicians"...

its delusional... And sad.

Wait a few minutes... A few of the aapa obstructionist will be along shortly to pontificate on why this new law is ok... Why if a pa wants to own their business and direct their professional practice and livelyhood, they picked the wrong profession and should have gone to md/do school or go take the mcat and go to school to become a physician... And how "nps are upsetting the physicians and shooting themselves in the foot"... :heheh:

Wait for it... Its coming

post-52852-137934851103_thumb.jpg

why they no listen?!

you're right.... theres no way to test the veracity of what was said in the post. i dont post over there, or frequent the site enough to be able to get a feel for the NP poster. the lack of fanfare and press release wouldnt surprise me, though.... smart companies wouldnt broadcast that, and smart NP's wouldnt either. but certainly the dissafected PAs would want to gripe and probably come here to do it. other issues that were mentioned also are at play in general, though. for some reason, there are organizations that like the midlevel to be able to sign at the bottom of the page and have that be the last word, if only for the warm feeling it gives them when something goes wrong.

very true regarding broadcasting something like that...if the claim is true I'm sure there will be some response by some type of group - either for or against.

I would bet the few PAs in that organization work in those "specialty areas" not eligible for increased standing anyway...

Archived