Thoughts on the PANRE

if they DID up the bar, they didn't tell us because they DON'T HAVE TO! they have the final word, they have the ultimate power and control, and they report to nobody!

remember their mission statement: "The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants is dedicated to serving the interest of the public."

***NOT the interest of the PA's that pay their outrageous salaries and benefits, but the interest of the public***

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as far as physician recertification is concerned:

they recert every 10 years IN THEIR SPECIALTY. it is not required of them to recert; they do it so they can say they're "board certified" but there is absolutely NO requirement for them to do so.

if they choose not to recertify, they can still practice in their chosen field in ANY state with no repercussions and no threat that they will lose their job and their livelihood.

GREAT NEWS!

I just got an email from NCCPA stating that there was a grading error and that I have now passed the exam.

Unbelievable that they can put us through all this stress, wasted time studying and paying for an extra exam, just to find out I passed the first time. Totally unacceptable by the NCCPA. Did anyone else get same email?

I received the email as well - my score went down by over 100 points (the new score seems more appropriate to how I felt I did on the test & is still easily passing, and still better overall than my last PANRE). I hope everyone who was adversely affected has happy news.

GREAT NEWS!

I just got an email from NCCPA stating that there was a grading error and that I have now passed the exam.

Unbelievable that they can put us through all this stress, wasted time studying and paying for an extra exam, just to find out I passed the first time. Totally unacceptable by the NCCPA. Did anyone else get same email?

I'm extremely happy for you. I hope there are many others who have heard the good news this morning. I'm sorry for what you went though.

Here is the gist of it:

Our quality assurance review identified an anomaly with the scoring of PANRE. In order to precisely determine the problem, it was necessary to wait until enough exam results were collected to conduct a psychometrically-sound analysis. The data was received, and the analysis was completed yesterday.

Our investigation uncovered a miscommunication between our psychometric and scoring vendors that may have resulted in an inaccurate PANRE score for some, but not all, candidates. We have corrected the problem. Your pass/fail decision did not change. Your originally-reported exam results have been replaced with your new results. If your exam score was unaffected, we still felt it prudent to provide you with notification of this anomaly.

Please sign in to your personal certification record at www.nccpa..net to view your score report and Performance Interpretation Guidelines, which may assist you in interpreting the results. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or problems that this error may have caused and stand ready to address any questions you may have.

I got it too and now I also PASSED!!

Shame on the NCCPA and their arrogance. I am not a professional testing angency and 5 minutes on this forum alone, even a child could make the assumption something was wrong.

I bought over $100 of new books to start studying and almost booked a board review with airline tickets .... are they going to refund that? I doubt it.

Send in all receipts that you have. I did. I have over $500 worth of classes, books and test banks that I needed to use and I already took the test again and passed the 2nd time!!! They better or they will be hearing form an attorney. This was my personal time I will never get back along with the stress and anxiety that I went through.

yes, EXTREMELY arrogant of them. i'm sure we could find an attorney somewhere that would file a class action lawsuit on our behalf. to tell me i failed and make me go through the misery and anxiety of thinking about studying and doing this all over again???

oh, BTW, sorry. we made a mistake. did we say "fail"? no, no, no, we meant "PASSED". SERIOUSLY?????

"...we still felt it prudent to provide you with notification of this anomaly."

"ANOMALY" MY A$S!!!!!!

anyone know a lawyer???? i'd really like to nail them on this.

if they DID up the bar, they didn't tell us because they DON'T HAVE TO! they have the final word, they have the ultimate power and control, and they report to nobody!

remember their mission statement: "The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants is dedicated to serving the interest of the public."

***NOT the interest of the PA's that pay their outrageous salaries and benefits, but the interest of the public***

The PANRE deblace aside, I don't see how their mission statement is out of line. They are a certifying body. Their job is to make sure that PAs meet the standard for knowledge base and (however they see themselves as determining) competence. Their role is to serve the population treated by PAs by ensuring that we meet the standard.

We have the AAPA to serve the needs of PAs. How well they do that is up for debate depending on the issue, but they are our advocating body, not the NCCPA.

They may have flubbed this recent PANRE modification but that doesn't mean their responsibility is primarily to US, except for administering a fair cert process. Which they have (by their admission) screwed up.

also, there are 16 nccpa board members of which ONLY 6 are PA'S!!

WE, AS A PROFESSION, SHOULD BE OUTRAGED!!!!

Out of curiousity, how many PA's do you think should be on the board. Keep in mind that we are dependent practitioners. There are representatives from several medical societies on the board, as well as some public representation.

The NCCPA is NOT an advocacy group for PA's, nor should they be, their responsibility is to the patients you will treat....not to you directly, at least IMO.

I'm glad they addressed this.....:wink:

Unfortunately, I cannot say more than that at this time.

Might be prudent to send a copy of this admission to the state boards of medical examiners that require passage of the PANRE to keep a license. They should be made aware. Hopefully, they would change their PANRE requirements or at least give a PA a little slack if their license depends on a current "C".

I curious as to why NCCPA 'fessed up'? They didn't have to spill the truth unless there was a mole somewhere.

Maybe (thank God) someone in the company had a conscience. Personally once I recover from the emotional beat-down I received from the NCCPA, I will make it my mission to notify my state and work to make this better for our profession. I hope others who were wronged by the NCCPA also do not forget and rally for a change.

Perhaps *GULP* they're honest ?

I suppose it is possible to be honest, abusive and self-serving at the same time.

I wished they would have come forth earlier. They could have at least admitted to the possibility of a problem, saying to the effect: "We feel their might be an error in scoring and will make it right to those affected. We are working to resolve any suspected issue ASAP." Now this would have been the best way to instill faith and the perception of honesty instead of stonewalling.

I suspect their reputation will be permanently mared. Not by the mistake but by the way the mistake was handled. Hopefully, a resignation will be forthcoming.

Perhaps *GULP* they're honest ?

I suspect it is more of they received some official claims of action from those with a J.D. behind their name....... I am happy for those that find out they actually did PASS!!! Yeah and please stay on top of NCCPA to reimburse for additional expenses occurred as a result of their error.

i have an invitation to call and speak with one of vp's of exam administration at the nccpa.i will be calling either monday or tuesday of this week.if you have any specific questions you'd like me to ask, please send me a pm.i will compile a list of questions and post back with what was said.if you don't have anything constructive to say, please don't reply.

When I personally first tried calling them at the end of June it was obvious they were aware of a problem. I phoned the general phone # on the NCCPA website. The receptionist who answered the phone was the only one I could ever speak with. She REFUSED to let me speak with anyone regarding the exam. She also slipped up in my opinion by telling me that they were being inundated with phone calls about surprised "failures" lately. It wasn't until I got stern with her stating that it was unacceptable that I was not ALLOWED to speak with anyone at the NCCPA regarding my concerns that she told me I would have to email "Richard Carr". So....they knew of a problem at the very latest back in end-June. And still made us suffer these months. At the very least they should have let us know they were looking into it....

• 5 months later...

Archived