Need urgent advice!!

Hey everyone! I need some advice so thought I would ask here! I will start from the beginning and tell you my dilemma. ( I just typed out a whole post like super long and it didn't get posted!! so now I have to re type it haha lol)

After graduating HS I went to a local college and received 38.5 credits (2.5 GPA)

I then transferred to Touro - Undergrad - received 32 credits (3.61 GPA)

I automatically went into the PA program and had to withdraw in the 1st semester for major personal issues.

I then got married and had to live my life how someone else wanted. I moved to another country with my husband as he went to a medical school in the Caribbean.

There I took some courses and received a BS in Medical Science - 105 credits (2.98 GPA)

Now that I have been able to sort out my life and live my own life how I want to, I want to go back to PA school.

I have tons of questions!

Will my abroad degree even be accepted?

If not, will I be able to take 22.5 credits (only 2 pre reqs missing - Biochem and Statistics) in this coming Spring and Summer before PA August 2012?

Also is there financial aid/loans for the PA Manhattan program?

Lastly do they assist in housing or give you options or anything at all for PA Manhattan?

Oh yeah one more thing :P Should I apply to a backup school just in case? If so, do you guys recommend anything for me, anywhere?

I really want to do this and change my life around the way it use to be. Im just confused and lost. Any help would be great.

Thanks

OK....here is my advice......there are many better PA schools out there. No Touro will not help you find housing and no they pretty much won't help you with anything else either. After seeing other programs, I realized how unprofessional this school really is. People often say that it doesn't matter what school you go to because they'll all be PAs at the end.....but it really does matter. In my opinion, this school does not prepare you for the real world and you have to work very hard for a few years to learn things that you should have learned in school. If you talk to a student who goes to Touro, they will give you biased advice because they attend the school....This school doesn't offer any type of resources to their students and is known to kick students out for minor issues.

Touro's BS/MS program is relatively new so we cannot really rely on any stats yet also. They used to have just a BS program and there were a lot of problems in that program (cheating etc..).

I would say that you should look into other schools such as NYIT or Pace....there are many good schools out there so look into it. If you want detailed advice, feel free to email me.

OK....here is my advice......there are many better PA schools out there. No Touro will not help you find housing and no they pretty much won't help you with anything else either. After seeing other programs, I realized how unprofessional this school really is. People often say that it doesn't matter what school you go to because they'll all be PAs at the end.....but it really does matter. In my opinion, this school does not prepare you for the real world and you have to work very hard for a few years to learn things that you should have learned in school. If you talk to a student who goes to Touro, they will give you biased advice because they attend the school....This school doesn't offer any type of resources to their students and is known to kick students out for minor issues.

Touro's BS/MS program is relatively new so we cannot really rely on any stats yet also. They used to have just a BS program and there were a lot of problems in that program (cheating etc..).

I would say that you should look into other schools such as NYIT or Pace....there are many good schools out there so look into it. If you want detailed advice, feel free to email me.

Yes I need major advice!!! so let me PM you?

Ok, Touro has a really good PA program and it's a well known school in and around the NY area. Pace has a great program and NYIT is good but it'll cost you about $30K more than Touro. I would say, apply to as many schools as you can and go to what school you get into. With good life experience it's easier to get into med school than Pa school.

I would pay the extra 30K if that would prepare me more for the real world. Touro does not even teach how to draw blood. You have to pretty much learn during rotations. Touro does not have any anatomy dissections. You pretty much have to go to a podiatary school once a month to look at a already completely dissection (from which you learn nothing by the way). As I told you in the e-mail, I think that it's best to apply to multiple schools and apply to Touro as a back up.

And no it is not easier to get into med school. When I was applying, I applied to both med schools and PA schools. I got into 5 PA schools and only one med school. (I got into all the PA schools I had applied to and only one med school out of the 13 I had applied to). For med school, they look at a lot of other things (MCATS, leadership experience, etc).

GirlyGirl, if Touro is the only school you get into, I'm not saying don't go.....you should for sure...but I'm just saying that you should apply to other better schools. Touro is very easy to get into compared to other PA schools so do keep it as a back up. You should apply to their Bayshore program also, it's not only shorter but most people will say better things about that campus.

Your prereqs can be taken at any school...but taking them at Touro would be better if you are planning to attend their PA School.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if you had a bad experience with touro but you seem to have harsh opinions on the school. They really jerked me around but in the end I'm sitting in there program right now. I don't know who told you we don't learn how to draw blood but if that's the case why do I have needle marks in my arms from pd lab. The teachers are really good at tour. E administration might suck but what matters, education or filing

• 1 month later...

Learning to draw blood at the Manhattan Campus? No way. I have 1 relative and 2 friends in the class above yours and there is no way they learned to draw blood. Needle marks??? You are in Physical Diagnosis I and your learned how to draw blood? The class above yours didn't learn it even in their 3rd summer semester. In fact, they were telling me that they wanted to come into my uncle's practice one day to learn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

xbeachxlifex,

Are you happy with the program in Bayshore, would you recommend it over the program in Manhattan (if you know anything about the comparison of the two) and is the program more intense in your opinion because it is condensed into two years? I am curious which campus to chose. thanks.

Archived