Um, er...*sputter*...um

Hello!

I've recently developed a problem and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I've never had a problem with public speaking. Indeed, I enjoy teaching and have given classes to a few hundred people without incident. Additionally, I frequently speak with and have pleasant, whole conversations with strangers.

The problem is this: during my last two interviews I was literally unable to form a complete, coherent sentence in English. I've practiced anticipated questions and have participated in group mock interviews (in our group of 8, I was the only one to rock 'em.) I have a solid grasp on the PA field and my reasons for wanting to be a part of it. It's not like I'm failing because I'm simply unprepared. I don't feel any obvious physical signs of nervousness like butterflies in my tummy, queasiness or elevated heart rate. So saying, "Just relax" probably isn't going to be helpful.

What the heck is going on here? I clearly have an issue and I definitely need to get it fixed soon. I would guess that maybe I'm more nervous since these interviews are so important and perhaps because I'm in a different role (vs teaching where I have control of the environment). Anyone with a fear of public speaking have any advice? I would be most appreciative of your help.

Thanks! ~L

5 mg diazepam po 1 hr before the interview.

Meditation

Visualization

Hypnosis

guided meditation

more mock interviews with hyper critical interviewers who will increase the pressure on you, fleshing out your weaknesses. Not a group of friends who are trying to be supportive, but real schmucks who want to make you snap. By "overtraining", when it comes to the real thing, it's easy.

Thanks for responding, JustSteve and PAMAC. I appreciate the range of suggestions. I'm gonna pass on the diazepam (!) and try the meditation idea. Maybe I'll have a simple mantra.

The mock interviews were conducted by strangers and I didn't know my fellow interviewees, so they weren't my friends trying to spare my feelings. But that's what I'm saying: generally, I'm quite comfortable and natural speaking in front of/with people. It's odd that I'm suddenly having an issue. I have noticed over the last few days I'm stumbling over my words when reading aloud or answering a basic question.

As suggested, maybe my thought process going into it just needs a bit of tweaking. I didn't think I was aiming for profound, but I just need to pause before saying anything. My next interview is a 10-hr car trip away so I'll just practice speaking out loud until I'm set.

Thanks, guys!

I'm sure you didn't do as badly as you thought. We are our own worst critics :)

One thing that I have tried (I sometimes have the same things happen to me) is just thinking about conveying my enthusiasm and excitement about going to PA school. You got an interview, you are obviously qualified, and a lot of your preparation for what you should say in response to interview questions has been done already in the countless essays we've had to write. Try to focus on how happy you are to be there, and go from there.

So, my advice: have fun. :)

You are on your third interview. Your package has got something in it that tantalizes AdComs. You have something they want. You have potential, drive, promise, ability and tuition monies. They have something you want...a gateway to the PANCE. Surely y'all can work out a win/win situation.

They don't invite chuckleheads to their interviews to waste time. So show up and be the confident person they hope and think you are. They are not there to tear you down or "weed you out". If they are, you don't want to go to that school anyways. They want you in their school as much as you want to be there.

I am a big fan of smiling. It shows confidence, they smile back, which makes you feel good, plus you can smile for a HUGE variety of reasons...you could be thinking "hahahaa I am so screwed" or "hahahaha that dude over there in the skinny tie is so screwed" or "I wonder if she knows that her g string is TOTALLY visible through her skirt "or I have this in the bag..I should go pick out my seat now".

Think, speak, shut up. In that order. Now if I could only follow my own advice ;-)

It's just a school. It is not life and death. Not getting in is an opportunity to take a year to expand your HCE, it's a year to take more classes, it's a year to work and make more money, it's a year to further investigate schools and KNOW which one you want into. It's a year to prove you are one determined person and you will re apply. Don't get yourself in a dither over this. It's not a final/forever answer. other words....just relax for God's sake.

I have a small suggestion...when the adcom member asks a question, ask them to clarify or say wow that's a great question let me take a moment to think about it. This gives you time to gather your thoughts a bit instead of rattling the first thing that comes to mind. Kind of like a small moment of meditation. Sorry for the short phrases, in the middle of studying and my brain is a bit fried.

1 - Remember that most people are just as nervous as you doing interviews, and many of them are kids who have no idea what is going on anyway. Don't set your bar so high!

2 - You can always stop and think, or say "Let me think for a moment", or something of the likes. It's better to have taken a bit longer on your interview and given solid answers than to have spit out the first thing you said and slip up.

3 - Make two short lists and text them to yourself - check both lists before your interview. One list of reasons why you picked this school, one list of generic Q's and A's.

4 - Try making small talk with your interviewer between questions. These are just regular people and this may help.

5 - Remember you are a strong candidate yourself, and you have a lot to offer. They want you at their school, not a different school you are interviewing at.

• 2 years later...

Out of curiosity, with a preconceived notion as to what they're going to ask you, do you literally feel that your brain goes faster than your mouth?  I don't ask this flippantly.  I have had this as well and it seems that there is so much information to relay that one moves faster than the other.  I have noticed it on job interviews as well.  One smiles, nods their head a lot as the other party is speaking, and sits with their legs crossed.  I get into this habit and wonder if it hasn't in fact come back to haunt me on some interviews, though frankly aside from one, there really hasn't been one that I wanted to say "yes" to anyway.

I love educating and public speaking but I do think that the brain sometimes gets ahead of us.  For those of us old enough, Johnny Carson was always this suave, under control individual who was like your next door neighbor during the Tonight Show; until he was your next door neighbor and then reportedly he would rarely speak to you.  Why?  Because on the Tonight Show HE was in control, but out in public he wasn't, thus his shyness came out.  I'm the same way outside of a professional setting though in my case it isn't so much shyness as much as it is minding my own business because at work we're always tied up into someone else's.

Archived