Transporter as HCE?

Good evening everyone.

I'm still early in my quest to become a PA. I'm on Active Duty in the military and taking one prerequisite at a time with the goal of only needing one full time semester at school along with a year or so of HCE after leaving active duty before starting PA school.

I would like to moonlight some part time work to get the ball rolling on my HCE, but locally any scribe, tech, etc jobs require the certification v. OJT. Unfortunately my average duty and class schedules would not allow for me to get the training done anytime soon.

Enter the role of the transporter. The hospital near my house is hiring in this job right now. While I know it is not the same quality experience as being a scribe, EMT, tech, etc, is it a good start and a good way to get exposed to the hospital environment? With no training required and variable shifts, I figure it is better than nothing.

Thoughts? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I'd do it to get my foot in the door at the hospital.  Could give you the upper hand for grabbing a more patient centered job.

As far as it actually counting as PCE, several schools I applied to made a point to say that it did NOT count.  Sure, you have to interact with patients, but none of your duties are related to their medical care.

Another option you might have is CNA...in some states, you don't have to take a class, you just study for yourself and challenge the exam. If I'm not mistaken, those "1-day Express CNA" deals just teach you the practical skills and then you study on your own and test. You'd just have to see if the state you're in allows this sort of thing. 

Another option you might have is CNA...in some states, you don't have to take a class, you just study for yourself and challenge the exam. If I'm not mistaken, those "1-day Express CNA" deals just teach you the practical skills and then you study on your own and test. You'd just have to see if the state you're in allows this sort of thing. 

Good idea. I did some digging and my state (Florida) requires that I go through training and not just take the test, however a local business offers the training in one week. Thanks for bringing this up, I might be able to pull that off.

Good idea. I did some digging and my state (Florida) requires that I go through training and not just take the test, however a local business offers the training in one week. Thanks for bringing this up, I might be able to pull that off.

Actually, Florida is one of the states you can challenge the CNA exam.  I just did it last year.  I did take a weekend course (3-days) to learn the practical skills, which I highly recommend, but you can technically sign up and take it without any training.

If you're in the Tampa/St. Pete area I can recommend the place I did my course.  They also offered a test guarantee or something, you can go back and 'review' with them before you take the test if there is a large gap between your course and assigned test date.

Keep in mind, finding a CNA job won't be easy.  I got lucky with an ALF, but no hospital would look at my app bc I didn't take one of the 6  week courses from a 'school' (which are all the for-profit scam type schools).

Actually, Florida is one of the states you can challenge the CNA exam.  I just did it last year.  I did take a weekend course (3-days) to learn the practical skills, which I highly recommend, but you can technically sign up and take it without any training.

If you're in the Tampa/St. Pete area I can recommend the place I did my course.  They also offered a test guarantee or something, you can go back and 'review' with them before you take the test if there is a large gap between your course and assigned test date.

I just found this out this AM. I am in Clearwater, so I would appreciate the information. I've noticed a few local openings so I'm hoping my MEDEVAC background might help me even if I haven't taken one of the CNA courses.

I have said this time and time again, but it can't hurt to cold call departments. Your experience likely vastly overreaches anything taught in a CNA class, and while it would take you a minute to get up to speed in a civilian hospital, your previous experience would be more than enough to hang, provided you know how to work hard. Hiring managers and those of us in the department know this. There is not ALWAYS a hard and fast cert rule like many people think. Often it can be fudged around, especially when you consider that most of us are either A. no official qualifications B. "at the level of" qualifications (ie I was an EMT and CNA before, both are now lapsed but I have the requisite experience).

Remember, for the most part, we are not licensed, and MAYBE certified. Unless you apply to a hard and fast licensed position (EMT-P, LPN), its worth trying. Even then, they often times will take you to fill the medic spot because in the long run, it won't kill them that you can't do lines or tele transports when you are filling an open scheduling spot (me).

I have so many examples from so many states and situations that I could go on and on (not Florida though). Its really worth trying, show your hustle.

I have said this time and time again, but it can't hurt to cold call departments. Your experience likely vastly overreaches anything taught in a CNA class, and while it would take you a minute to get up to speed in a civilian hospital, your previous experience would be more than enough to hang, provided you know how to work hard. Hiring managers and those of us in the department know this. There is not ALWAYS a hard and fast cert rule like many people think. Often it can be fudged around, especially when you consider that most of us are either A. no official qualifications B. "at the level of" qualifications (ie I was an EMT and CNA before, both are now lapsed but I have the requisite experience).

Remember, for the most part, we are not licensed, and MAYBE certified. Unless you apply to a hard and fast licensed position (EMT-P, LPN), its worth trying. Even then, they often times will take you to fill the medic spot because in the long run, it won't kill them that you can't do lines or tele transports when you are filling an open scheduling spot (me).

I have so many examples from so many states and situations that I could go on and on (not Florida though). Its really worth trying, show your hustle.

This is true a LOT of places.  Unfortunately, Florida is one of those states that requires a license - for basically everything.  Seriously.  CNA, phlebotomist, anything lab related....it's primarily a money making scheme for the state, but every place that employs those types of positions has to prove that your are licensed.  Some states just WANT you to be licensed.  I couldn't start working in FL until I had proven that I passed the CNA test (classes not required, just the test) even at a small, single location ALF.

But yes...for other states, it's worth trying. 

This is true a LOT of places.  Unfortunately, Florida is one of those states that requires a license - for basically everything.  Seriously.  CNA, phlebotomist, anything lab related....it's primarily a money making scheme for the state, but every place that employs those types of positions has to prove that your are licensed.  Some states just WANT you to be licensed.  I couldn't start working in FL until I had proven that I passed the CNA test (classes not required, just the test) even at a small, single location ALF.

But yes...for other states, it's worth trying. 

Well, I defer to your experience with the state of Florida, but I stand by what I say in general. Its almost universally not well enough understood.

ETA: In the interest of helping OP, my healthcare experience was also started with a 2 week crash CNA course. I have fond memories of leaving knowing nothing but how to make hospital corners (which I guess my mom had been teaching me all my life already - sorry mom). That did in fact get my foot in the door, which snowballed from there.

requires a license

And this is semantics, nothing against you MT2PA, but it does help my point somewhat. Generally, low level hospital positions are "certifications" as opposed to "licenses." This gets somewhat fuzzy with some of them (I have heard them called CNA licenses before, and it does fall under the board of nursing) but there is sometimes a difference. Example - "EMT-B certification needed" for hospital ER tech position. This wording can mean they are looking for someone that (hopefully) has those skills, preferably currently holding license (proof they have been tested on skills, only SOMETIMES mandatory and ONLY for the hospitals gratification/policy, not to satisfy any law. Can be worked around with varying levels of success). However, this would be different from the job posting for an ambulance company that needed you to have an active, good standing NREMT-B card and DL in order to clock in at all (law). There is obviously greater hiring flexibility with the former. 

Anyhow, its exhausting the bureaucracy we deal with in reality. I do have sympathy for those of you in Florida and other states where this is common.

And this is semantics, nothing against you MT2PA, but it does help my point somewhat. Generally, low level hospital positions are "certifications" as opposed to "licenses." This gets somewhat fuzzy with some of them (I have heard them called CNA licenses before, and it does fall under the board of nursing) but there is sometimes a difference. Example - "EMT-B certification needed" for hospital ER tech position. This wording can mean they are looking for someone that (hopefully) has those skills, preferably currently holding license (proof they have been tested on skills, only SOMETIMES mandatory and ONLY for the hospitals gratification/policy, not to satisfy any law. Can be worked around with varying levels of success). However, this would be different from the job posting for an ambulance company that needed you to have an active, good standing NREMT-B card and DL in order to clock in at all (law). There is obviously greater hiring flexibility with the former. 

Anyhow, its exhausting the bureaucracy we deal with in reality. I do have sympathy for those of you in Florida and other states where this is common.

Totally get what you're saying.  I can't speak for other states but in FL, the state DOH issues you a 'license' in CNA, phleb, etc.  You obtain the certification from a school, if you so choose.  So job postings do require a license.  As an MT, I was required to have a board certification (national) but also obtain a FL license.  It's a nuance.  

But yea, anything that says 'certification' can potentially be viewed as a suggestion vs a deal breaker.  Worst case scenario your app doesn't get looked at.  No harm in trying.

If you have the opportunity, then I would go for it.  Many folks where I work get there foot in the door as cashiers and housekeepers with the sole intent of moving into the position they really want when it opens.  Works for many.

As far as your academic schedule, you really need to do more than one class at a time.  Firstly, you need to become accustomed to difficult science material at a high volume...the cliché of drinking out of a fire hose is an adequate descriptor of PA school, wherein you will take the equivalent of a PhD's worth of units by the time you graduate.

Secondly, your transcripts will betray whether or not you can handle multiple-science-course-loads.  Anyone can ace o-chem, physics and vert phys when those classes are taken consecutively - the real test of character comes when you take those courses concurrently.

Best of luck to you.

Archived