Is NYS Restrictive for PA-Cs?

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in finding this out as well. I tried the NYSSPA site's FAQs, but need to be a member to find out the answers to the questions! I have been accepted to a PA school in NY so I would love to find out the rights that PAs have in NY. Any practicing PAs in NY want to provide us with some information or a good website to find the info? Thanks!

nyc is a tough market with low salaries because everyone wants to work there.

outside the city there are plently of jobs including solo coverage of emergency depts by pa's. look in the aapa journal and every month there is at least 1.

To add to what E said, the Buffalo-Rochester area is also oversaturated with PAs (and the medical field in general) because of numerous programs in the area. So, salaries tend to be lower and there is much more competition with jobs too. If you are willing to be outside either of those 2 areas there are tons of opportunities in NY.

nyc is a tough market with low salaries because everyone wants to work there.

outside the city there are plently of jobs including solo coverage of emergency depts by pa's. look in the aapa journal and every month there is at least 1.

Even NYC has a decent market, just not for new grads. There are usually 20+ specialty jobs open at any given time. Just that the competition is strong enough that they can insist on only hiring experienced PAs. I've looked at it a couple of times, but I can't justify the cost of living vs. Salary.

To the OP I would put NY in the relatively decent place to work. There are lots of programs, decent practice act (no direct supervising requirements , II-V etc). You can find the particulars here:

http://www.aapa.org/images/stories/new-york.pdf

If you look at the model legislation NY is pretty close:

http://www.aapa.org/advocacy-and-practice-resources/state-advocacy/490

The couple things they miss are specific numbers of PAs that can be supervised and they still use registration instead of certification.

David Carpenter, PA-C

In reading old threads about PAs practicing in New York, it seemed as if NY was one of the more restrictive states as far as PA practice. Is this still true? How are prescription rights? How is supervision?

NY is not very restrictive. In fact I find the exact opposite, I have as much autonomy as I want. Much of the time my SP is not on site and available by phone. There are many practices in rural upstate NY where the physician shows up periodically to review charts. It depends on where you practice and who you are working for.

• 3 years later...
In addition to the above, NYSSPA (New York State Society of PAs) has made some progress recently. It was confirmed this year that NY PAs can sign death certificates. PAs are no longer registered but now licensed, losing the "R" before PA-C.

Always were licensed but also had the registration.

• 1 year later...

Archived