Applying in Dec....what grades do they see?

I'm a senior in college. My gpa will be higher once I graduate. I'm taking a lot of the easier psych courses now to finish out my major.

But if I apply in Dec, will they not see my Fall and Spring grades?

I feel really ill about my gpa. It's like 2.8 now. What about the 3.0 cutoff? I had a rough last semester.The stuff that brought my gpa down was ONLY physics, calculus, and the last semester of orgo. My other stuff is fine. Now I'm applying PA and I don't even need those courses that I did badly in! I feel like I screwed myself over.

The schools I'm looking at/applying to don't require GRE or orgo.

Should I even bother? Or should I wait a year and then apply?

I have YEARS worth of experience working as a private hospice volunteer (doing the same as a cna - meds, some IV, transfers, etc) and will be working as a non-cna personal aide soon.

I think that in order to strengthen your application you may want to consider re-taking some prerequisites after you graduate and perhaps also consider applying during the next cycle. Perhaps becoming certified as a CNA or MA and working some additional patient care hours might also strengthen your application?

dont give up!!

Sounds like you might be better off waiting a year, just from what you've said. If you need those spring grades to boost your GPA to the 3.0, then definitely wait. Most schools won't give you a look without the 3.0. Also, wutthechris is right. December is pretty late to be applying. Even if the schools you're pursuing have later deadlines you're best off applying as early as possible and if you're being forced to wait for fall and spring grades in order to make the bare minimum GPA, you're already behind.

At this point, you could take some time to get a really amazing application together with some high grades from your senior year and have a more compelling package for next year.

• Administrator

If you attribute a 2.8 cumulative GPA to a "rough last semester" then you either 1) got such bad grades in those classes you need to retake them, or 2) you had a marginal GPA to begin with.

Given how competitive PA programs are at the moment, I seriously doubt that you will get into any program if you apply this year. I don't know what "YEARS" of uncertified/unlicensed volunteer work really means, or how it translates into actual patient care hours, though, but I suspect that you weren't volunteering 2,000 hours per year.

I would encourage you to look through the threads for stats of accepted candidates and compare yourself to them. Don't feel bad at all about taking a second year to get into a PA program; I did, and a lot of other successful students and PA-Cs on this site didn't get in the first year around because we weren't prepared properly.

Archived