~ MEDEX BCHS Class of 2014 ~

I was a little concerned about the weather too. I am driving from Vancouver, WA and I ususally take the route through the gorge up to Yakima. (I have attended info sessions for the last 3 years! Ha!) That highway gets closed frequently during the winter when there is a storm. I may even plan on staying 2 nights instead of just one so I don't have to worry about road conditions.

I think Comfort Suites sounds good, Steve. Thanks for the heads up :)

I am happy to exchange numbers with anyone who would like to meet up! Is this really happening...? :)

Hi Sara,

Congratulations!

My wife and I are driving up from Vancouver early on Friday and are staying at the Comfort Suites for 2 nights for sure. Before taking a flight medic job in Alaska, I worked in Yakima County for AMR and can assure you that travelling without the sun on the road can be very treacherous.

As Steve pointed out, it only takes one village idiot to foul up traffic and you certainly don't want to meet him en route to your big day :-)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just booked a room for the 2nd at Comfort Inn...thanks for the recommendation Steve. I'm all about walking across the parking lot. Driving up from Kennewick so I will brave the weather home but am not going to risk it before the big day. I am definitely up for a little meet-and-greet/coffee gathering on Friday night! We could arrange a time to meet in the lobby perhaps? (For those staying at the Comfort Inn)

They just took my credit card to hold the room. They won't charge it until you check in. Just call them back and let them know and I'm sure they will adjust it for you. They were really nice :)

I called back and the lady changed it for me. I had to cancel my online reservation first however. $20 saved!!

Thanks Sara!

Sara, thanks for the info! Seems like Comfort Suites is the place to be! Flight and rooms booked! I'll be staying the 2nd and 3rd and I can't wait to finally put faces with names! Looks like I'm one of the few not from the area, haha... I appreciate all the local info everyone has provided! Sounds like we have a pretty strong group here! See y'all in 2 weeks!

:=D:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I just registered and have been reading up on things. I wish I'd have done it earlier as I am already booked in another hotel... If people are still gathering Friday night I'd love to join too and get to know everyone. I will also be flying in from out of the area.

Good luck!

I was just talking to another applicant and we're wondering if anyone interviewing in Yakima got a formal itinerary for interview day? The email invite said it was coming in the mail and although we both received packets, there didn't appear to be an actual itinerary. I don't want to miss anything but don't want to be the annoying applicant calling Mariah if I was misinterpreting what was to be included in the packet.

Thanks for all your help :)

My packet had 4 pages... no itinerary. I don't think they want to spill the beans too much. 8am-5pm, business casual, 3 group interviews, reading comprehension tests, short essays, lunch provided... that's about it. I know they allow for mingling & socializing, which is actually part of the process to get to know you better. If there is anything else planned, they probably want it to be a surprise.

First off, good luck to everyone on Sat. Be yourself and answer the questions truthfully and not necessarily what you think they want to hear. When I interviewed last year I had some of the same concerns regarding the interview. One thing you will realize is that MEDEX is not trying to trick you. The interview is very straight forward. I used a book called "Getting into the PA School of Your Choice" and found that the interview tips in that book were very helpful. They already know what you are capable of academically, now they want to put a face to the application. While the interview process is stressful, especially since there are 3, they will even tell you in the morning that they are not meant to be an interview that utilizes stress as a tool.

Remember that you are entering a profession that is highly respected and therefore, the people in the profession should epitomize professionalism. That is a key point. Be comfortable but professional. There were people in my interview group who forgot that point. Some cursed, others showed up without professional attire. The other thing is they don't want kiss asses or confrontational personalities. It's all about teamwork here and how you are able to work within that team.

You are interviewing them as well. Questions from you are not mandatory and ill informed questions are not recommended. However, if you truly have a question that cannot be found on the website or another source then ask it. Keep in mind that if you do ask a question and the answer is clearly stated in the mission statement or website they will question how much research you have done into the program.

A couple of more tips: KNOW ABOUT PA ISSUES! How will the new health care law affect the PA? Healthcare? Why do you want to be a PA vs an MD or NP or DO? I'll tell you right now that if you see the PA profession as a stepping stone to medical school then you should not come here. They want people who are passionate about being PAs. They also know that you have applied to other schools. Be prepared to answer why MEDEX vs UC Davis or USC.

There are many more similar tips in the previously mentioned book. If you can video tape yourself in a mock interview that could prove invaluable in preparing for your interviews. You may have an annoying tick that you aren't even aware of. One of the girls in my class videotaped herself and discovered just that. Once again, good luck to everybody. Remember that you are being interviewed from the time you land in Seattle until you leave Seattle. I realize that the actual interview is in Yakima but there are only a couple of flights into and out of Yakima per day. The person next to you on the plane may be an instructor who interviews you. Especially those of you staying at the Comfort Suites, you may be eating breakfast next to somebody who matters (not that it's not good practice to treat everybody nice). You get my point. Yakima is a small town and word travels fast.

My packet had 4 pages... no itinerary. I don't think they want to spill the beans too much. 8am-5pm, business casual, 3 group interviews, reading comprehension tests, short essays, lunch provided... that's about it. I know they allow for mingling & socializing, which is actually part of the process to get to know you better. If there is anything else planned, they probably want it to be a surprise.

Sounds about right...the mingle is at the end of the day...it doesn't last long per the clock so I recommend sticking around for it. The business casual bit..yeah...I suppose if you got a rocking personality and can charm the boots off a cowboy, then perhaps you can get away with the casual look. I don't know... I am not on the admission committee but it may be a good idea to take it up a notch.

Sounds about right...the mingle is at the end of the day...it doesn't last long per the clock so I recommend sticking around for it. The business casual bit..yeah...I suppose if you got a rocking personality and can charm the boots off a cowboy, then perhaps you can get away with the casual look. I don't know... I am not on the admission committee but it may be a good idea to take it up a notch.

I hear that! My interpretation of business casual is wearing a suit, but switching out the pants for a nice pair of khakis :)

Archived