~ MEDEX BCHS Class of 2014 ~

Afternoon y’all!

I decided to start a thread for those who specifically applied to the BCHS programs. As the early deadline has passed and the final deadline is rapidly approaching I just wanted to FIRST congratulate those who have applied! No more reading, re-reading, scrapping and rewriting narratives or statements… By now we all should be feeling the weight lifted off our shoulders from eagerly waiting on CASPA references to appear “completed”, GPAs being “verified” and the e-mail stating “Your application has been verified and will be mailed”!

I know that some of the MCHS applicants have already received interview dates! How AWESOME! Hopefully we will be hearing soon as well!

For those that have applied to one of the BCHS programs GOOD LUCK!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Side Note... Let's get to know each other so we can help each other get to AND through the next phase!!!

I’m a Medic, as the name implies… haha. I have worked in both EMS and in the ER of a trauma center for almost 10 years. I started volunteering at a local clinic for uninsured and the indigent about 3 years ago where I got the chance to work with some AMAZING PAs! After visiting MEDEX I was SOLD! Even though they were doing some “rock blasting” on I-20… Being a Georgia Boy I had NO CLUE what that was! Thank you Mariah for the clarification :;-D:

Anyways, hope everyone has a GREAT weekend and that we all start hearing GOOD news soon!

I'm a psych tech and have been in behavioral health for about 12 years from Aide to Associate Director. I'm applying to the UAA/UW option up here in Anchorage. I have had the great oppurtunity to shadow all the PA's (4) at the hospital I work. Each of them has given me so much good information and respect for the field.

Hey there :) I've applied to the BCHS and I'm in Georgia as well! I've worn several "hats," including EMT-Basic, medical assistant for a plastic surgeon and a licensed acupuncturist! lol My husband and I are moving out to Washington (where he grew up and ALL his family lives) and I'm really hoping to get in to MEDEX Northwest! Good luck to all of you :)

Greetings to my future classmates, so we all hope. I'm presently waiting for CASPA to Verify the application I submitted on Aug. 30. I'm retired military (Air National Guard) and former Army medic. The last year was spent finishing prereqs and completing my AA. I'm anxiously waiting to receive an interview invitation, as I'm sure most of you are as well.

My first choice is the Yakima campus, closer to family for both my wife and me.

Hope we can stay in touch.

Noekae

Hello to all! I too have my ear hard to the ground waiting for any hint of information. My most recent email update was from Mariah stating " upon initial review your prerequisites have been met for the MEDEX program." If you haven't recieved this email yet...even though it is quite limited on information...it will quench your thirst. Just to have a little "Hi there" sitting in the inbox every now-and-then is rewarding. After reviewing past-posts from this forum it looks like interview invitations for the Yakima site are traditionally sent sometime in October with the interview being in December. I don't know if that will be the case this year, however, it gives me a target to put my sites on. I am a first time applicant to MEDEX, southeastern Washington native, ex-Army medic, new dad, and a capricorn. I wish us all the best!!

Hi all,

My name is Sara. This is my first application to MEDEX. I have my sites set on Yakima as well :) I have chipped away at prerequisites for the last 3 years as a single mom to 2 teenagers. Whew! I have worked as a medical assistant and x-ray tech for the last 14 years. I currently work in a 24 hour urgent care clinic almost exclusively with PAs. Working the night shift has been such an amazing experience and I am so fortunate for this opportunity to learn from some extremely intelligent individuals. I live in Vancouver, WA right now and plan to stay rooted in the NW which has been my home since age 5. It sounds like there is already a pretty diverse group of applicants and I think that is fantastic! All the more areas to learn from and grow with if we are all selected as part of the next Yakima class! Good luck to everyone and I'm crossing my fingers that we all get a chance to meet in person during interviews!

Thanks for starting this thread Steve! The support and encouragement you are lending is extremely appreciated!

Sara

Glad to see so many well qualified applicants! And on top of that, everybody seems to be so encouraging and determined, which will surely make a great class atmosphere. I recently did 6 years as a Corpsman (as my name implies), and am currently a medical assistant in an urgent care facility while finishing up some AA requirements. My passions include baseball (go Giants!), volunteering (big brother, adults w/disabilities) and doing stuff outdoors with my wife (fishing, hiking, biking, etc). What sold me most on UW is the quality of applicants, students and alumni they seem to attract and produce. I had one program I was looking into tell me that even though they didn't require a bachelors degree, those of us without one would be at a disadvantage in the application process. Medex seems to look at the whole applicant, and not just what you've attained academically, and that to me is the mark of a program that knows what it's doing.

As you can see, every person on here knows that it will be a community effort getting into-and through-PA school, and to me that is encouraging beyond all else. I hope that I am fortunate enough to one day call all of you classmates!

Chris

Greetings all,

As a re-applicant, I know exactly how tedious the waiting can be. The invitation to interview seems all important until you receive it and become wrapped up in the interview process before waiting on tenterhooks for the committee's final decision. Good luck to all, have faith in the system!

Theresa

Hello all. I'm Don. I've been working in healthcare for twenty plus years now. I started as a medic in the army, did CNA for a bit, then worked as an MA for many years, & now I am working as a Medical Assistant Instructor at a career college in Seattle. I chose Yakima to be closer to extended family in Wa, but I would be happy with Anchorage too, & am seriously considering relocating there as a PA. I am a reapplicant, & the last time I applied my wife was pregnant with our first kid, & it was the last cycle to get in before the Master's program started. Now that my son is starting Kindergarten, the time feels right for me to go back to school too.

I've enjoyed reading these posts & feel as if I'm getting to know you guys a little bit. To the lurkers out there who have applied, come join in the fun. I hope to someday call you classmates & look forward to learning from all of you as we move forward to becoming clinicians.

Good Luck !!!

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am a first-time applicant to MEDEX NW and have selected Yakima as my first choice. Like a lot of you, I have plenty of experience and a background in military medicine. After suffering a work-related injury in Iraq last year I decided to make the best of things and go back to school to pursue my longtime goal to become a PA. Between surgeries and PT I finally completed all prerequisites and my AA degree at the end of summer quarter. Like Corpman2PA, I had to wait to submit my packet until the end of summer quarter but did make the deadline for early submission. My packet took awhile to clear CASPA but I did get the 9/1/2011 time stamp. I see the MCHS folks have a forum posting for their interviews, perhaps we can share with each other when those of us BCHS applicants start getting calls.

Good luck to everyone,

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I've just registered with PA forum, and have already found it to be incredibly valuable. I've applied to the Yakima BCHS program, and my fingers are crossed. I'm originally from Seattle. My Mom was born and raised in Kennewick, not far from Yakima.

Compared with most of you, I have a relatively short history of clinical experience. I've worked in a not-for-profit hospital in California for nearly five years. I presently work in the Cardiology department as an EKG Tech II; prior to that, as a Patient Care Tech. At the moment, I am transitioning into a position as an ED Tech with the same hospital. I can't seem to leave this place. They've just been so good to me.

Both my clinical life and academic life came late. My introduction to medicine, and the PA role, came when I lost a close friend after a two-year battle with a GBM (brain tumor). I was impressed by the quality of his care; the knowledge, the skills, the compassion, the communication. Aspiring to those admirable attributes, I've since tried to make positive moves toward becoming a PA.

From the moment I began filling out my application, I've heard that the MEDEX program attracts the best. After reading some of your info, I know this to be true. You all seem to have great backgrounds in service to the public, and to the country (thanks, veterans!).

You all deserve to be accepted. I would certainly be humbled and honored to learn alongside any and all of you. Good luck!

Hi folks..

Just thought I would chime in.

I have been a medical assistant for 16 years and have also been working in clinical research. I had debated on nursing school or PA school and finally it came down to where can I have the most impact. I like solving puzzles and and love researching things I don't know about so I picked PA school and I haven't looked back since then. I applied to the Anchorage program so I would be far enough away from my family that I wouldn't be focusing on trying to get home on the weekends. Plus I feel drawn there and it's on the list of places I want to live. This was the perfect chance to give a try.

The more I wait the more nervious I become, so I have tried to forget and just keep checking my mail and email.

Good luck to everyone and it sounds like this class will have plenty of experiences to bring to the table.

Tammy

• 3 weeks later...

The waiting game is one of the hardest parts. You have to wait for the interview, but also for acceptance. I got my e-mail invite like 11 days before the interview. To make it worse me and one of my co-workers had both applied and I was talking about how they are slow on the invites. Then she told me she already got hers like last week. So they do not all go out at the same time. Hang in there everyone, and good luck!

Sounds like we have a GREAT group of applicants!!! So glad I started this thread and I can FINALLY see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

**I JUST got the interview e-mail for Yakima for the Dec 3rd interview for Yakima class #19!!!**

So excited! Has anyone else heard anything? Best of luck to all! Hope to see you all in Yakima! :=D:

Can't wait!! Got my email as well! Anybody want to meet the night before and grab some grub, shake out the butterflies?

Ha! Congrats. Nice to see everyone getting "the word". Believe me...I know it seems like things are moving at a snail's pace but I was where you all were a year ago and it feels like yesterday.

I'll be around that weekend...I have volunteered to be at the school on the day of the interviews as well to help out with things. Drop me a pm if you want to grab a bite Friday or Saturday night, I'll pass on my number

Steve

Steve

Yakima, here we come! Congratulations to all who received invites! I got mine today as well. I would definitely be willing to meet up Friday night. Maybe that would shake out some of the nerves? I'm looking at hotels right now. Best Western Plus Lincoln Inn or Comfort Suites.... Anyone from Yakima have any suggestions?

~Sara

Comfort Inn shares the same parking lot as the school. It has an included breakfast. By staying at the Comfort Inn you don't have to worry about the weather or traffic. We had snow today, not unlikely to have freezing conditions for your interview. Last thing you need that morning is to have some schmuck foul up traffic or crash into you. I have stayed there a couple of times and found them to be more than adequate.

I was a little concerned about the weather too. I am driving from Vancouver, WA and I ususally take the route through the gorge up to Yakima. (I have attended info sessions for the last 3 years! Ha!) That highway gets closed frequently during the winter when there is a storm. I may even plan on staying 2 nights instead of just one so I don't have to worry about road conditions.

I think Comfort Suites sounds good, Steve. Thanks for the heads up :)

I am happy to exchange numbers with anyone who would like to meet up! Is this really happening...? :)

OMG!!! I started reading the last few posts & my heart dropped like an anvil, because I checked my email around 4:00pm today, & nothing... So, I just checked again, & WOO-Freakin-HOO, I got the email!!!

I'm so happy right now I can't even describe it. This has been a 6-7 year journey for me just to get to this point. It probably didn't help much that I was stubborn & would only apply to MEDEX, but I think the 3rd time will be the charm :)

I would love to meet up with you guys sometime on Friday. Let the team building begin! I'll be the old fat guy with a grin that won't quit!

It will be great to put faces to the names of those of you I hope to be classmates with. And, to Steve - thanks so much for the well appreciated advice & insight you have provided us all, along with your always entertaining stories. I look forward to thanking you in person.

I'm sure I'll join the rest of you in NOT GETTING ANY SLEEP TONIGHT!!! CONGRATS & GOOD LUCK!!!

Archived