caveat emptor

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, there is a lot here to consider when you hear an experience from a student or in this case more than one. Im sure there are lots of people who might have gone through the same thing(thinking some is out to get them). Some things i have to mention are, the cadaver lab, 30 mins/week would have been great for me since i had to learn it from the book, and we only did it for 4 weeks of lectures, pictures are better than words i always think, and real life experience is even better. Now the PBL, i believe those are a real help in my school, it really gets you to think what you could have missed, depending on how the teachers teach it. When you are doing PBL, you have to think from all angles when considering a Dx. I have to admit that there are certain things that put other schools over others. Your school has cadavers, mine don't, i take that as a disadvantage, even though i think im competent with it. And like some had said, you get what you put into it. The teachers can only help you so much, there are diseases that are never talked about, but most that they go through is something you will see. Its a foundation that you are bulding upon as i always hear the cliche, but they are telling the truth because once you graduate it not over. AND for those who have graduated, what's stopping you from picking up a textbook and reading for your own build-up of knowledge, dont expect to graduate from a program knowing everything, graduate knowing that there are things they didn't mention but you sure as hell should be looking at them, even superficially so that at least you have an idea of it. Just like most videos of physical exams say, you have to have a "systematic approach" and thats the same way you have to be with your mind when it comes to disease. if you can't be systematic and are just being sporadic with your ideas, then your not doing your best. Write down your approach, that's what some people have done to help them think. IDK what else to say except that if you have a PA-C after your name, that's a privilege that you worked hard to obtain, but it will mean nothing if you can't keep up with your self-study. The more knowledge you have, the more autonomous you can be, which then makes you a better practitioner, and that can't be obtained in 2-3yrs. it takes a lifetime.

Guest Belston227
The students who have passed with a 100% are how many? How many had to retake it. And what did the students say. Just be honest. Dont take sides as people can have a chance of getting into another school. Chatham ranks 84 on the us news and world report list. How about that>

I am attending Chatham this Fall and I just read a really great article on PBL vs LBL (lecture-based) because I too had concerns regarding the presentation of material. The article was written by a group of PHD researchers who conducted a five-year comparing and contrasting the two teaching methodologies. For test scores I quote, "...there was no distinguishable difference in certification exams between PBL and LBL."

Also, I think 84 is respectable considering the rankings include 150+ PA schools. Do you think 84 is poorly ranked? When it comes to being admitted to a program that offers such a coveted degree, I (just my opinion) don't think we can be picky (within reason, of course).

• 1 month later...

Archived