SOOO many PAs programs in Il are Malcolm X PA students at a Disadvantage

Hello All--

Are Malcolm X PA graduates as competitive as everyone else that attended big name universities?

Now since there are so many PA programs offered in the state of Illinois, are graduates of the Malcolm X program at a disadvantage since the program is offered at a community college and they only offer a associates degree? I am nervous that after attending the program at Malcolm X ( if accepted) It will be harder for a graduate of Malcolm X to find a job compared to a graduate of a "big-time" program like Northwestern, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, and Midwestern.

• 2 months later...

well im attending the malcolm x program and doing the masters program... everyone takes the same boards.. the pance... 2 years ago.. the highest score in the nation on these boards came from a student from the malcolm x program... matter of fact... the top director/pa-c at rush university running the pa program graduated from malcolm x... and all in all, it doesnt matter what school you went to... once u pass your boards, it doestn matter what school you attended... you are now a certified practicing physician assistant.... o also, the malolm x program does there clinical rotations at cook county hospital, the #1 teaching hopspital in illinois, all other pa schools in illinois are not allowed to do there rotations there, only the malcolm x program because cook county hospital is the one that started the program, were there students not malcom x's, they just basically use that school for classroom work... they were the first pa program in illinois and have a lot of reputation and history. Also, the masters degree we receive from our affiliate school is #12 in the nation amongst masters of medical science, so do the math. enough said, hope that helped

• 1 month later...
well im attending the malcolm x program and doing the masters program... everyone takes the same boards.. the pance... 2 years ago.. the highest score in the nation on these boards came from a student from the malcolm x program... matter of fact... the top director/pa-c at rush university running the pa program graduated from malcolm x... and all in all, it doesnt matter what school you went to... once u pass your boards, it doestn matter what school you attended... you are now a certified practicing physician assistant.... o also, the malolm x program does there clinical rotations at cook county hospital, the #1 teaching hopspital in illinois, all other pa schools in illinois are not allowed to do there rotations there, only the malcolm x program because cook county hospital is the one that started the program, were there students not malcom x's, they just basically use that school for classroom work... they were the first pa program in illinois and have a lot of reputation and history. Also, the masters degree we receive from our affiliate school is #12 in the nation amongst masters of medical science, so do the math. enough said, hope that helped

So, I'll be getting a Bachelors Degree in Science this May 2012. If I apply to Malcolm X, how do I apply for a Masters program? I tried to understand what the website said, but it wasn't clear enough: http://www.ccc.edu/colleges/malcolm-x/programs/Pages/Physician-Assistant-Associate-in-Applied-Science.aspx

Can you clarify?

• 3 weeks later...
o also, the malolm x program does there clinical rotations at cook county hospital, the #1 teaching hopspital in illinois, all other pa schools in illinois are not allowed to do there rotations there, only the malcolm x program

Not to nitpick, but this is incorrect. It's very true that MXC has a special relationship with Cook County/Stroger, but other PA students certainly can (and do) rotate there. MXC probably gets first dibs (I have no idea) but the rest of the pack isn't barred from the premises by any means.

• 2 weeks later...

You end up with a Master's just as everyone else. No one in the program gets in without a Bachelor's Degree, which you then transfer to Saint Francis University. The AS is just given to show you completed the preperation to take the PANCE. We end up with the same degree as everyone else and pass our PANCE like everyone else. I am in the program and was accepted to others, but chose this one because I didn't have to move. I personally know a handful of PA's who graduated from this program and had several jobs lined up before they graduated and don't hear any complaints about their salaries. I don't understand why everyone focuses on the associates, when in reality this is the least important. The key is your PANCE and Mater's Degree to be competitive. Oh cant forget your experience, that is huge. The experience we get at cook county hospital (#1 learning hospital in Illionis) and the other inner city hospitals and clinics is amaizing. The cases seen there are not usually seen in upscale settings. At the end of the day, an employer is going to ask about your PANCE and a Master's Degree.

dkwee,

You apply to the master's during the end of your first year. The classes from mxc will transfer towards it (WHICH SHOWS THAT THE CLASSES ARE TAUGHT AT A GRADUATE LEVEL) Once your done with rotations you end up with a Master's Degree assuming you applied and completed what is ask for, and are ready to sit for the PANCE.

Thanks for answering this question for me!! I've been wondering the SAME THING!! I was a bit worried about AS graduates when compared to MS graduates!

I don't have all of the pre-reqs for a graduate level program quite yet, but I've been accepted into two Pre-PA Programs. One at Penn College of Technology and Miami Dade College (both of which are NOT graduate degrees). The good news is that PCT has an agreement with Nova Southeastern that transfers about 30 of their credits into a graduate degree in Health Science. I'm not sure about any graduate level agreements with Miami Dade, but they do have a Bachelor's in Health Science *PA Option. In all honesty though, I am okay with whatever method will teach me how to be a good primary care provider and allow me to work with my fellow service members as soon as I can. Regardless of the degree conferred. (Is that ignorance on my part? Will that be something that bites me in the behind later in my career?)

I spoke with an Army National Guard recruiter today who told me that he could care less which program I sat for, as long as I passed the PANCE he could hire me (I'm a 12 year Vet) and I'd be eligible for all of the benefits.

Archived