May be worrying too much, but...

I was recently admitted into PA school (YAY), but I am currently still a student finishing 2 prerequisites.

Organic chemistry is kicking my butt, and I am starting to get insanely worried that I may receive a "D" in the course. I don't process chemistry very well seeing as how I'm expecting an A in microbiology.

Has anyone ever heard of a PA school revoking or rescinding someone's admissions offer due to a poor grade? I'm losing sleep over this one class. Never thought one class would be able to determine the rest of my life.

I talked to my professor, and I'm not sure how nice he is about bumping grades.

• Administrator

Relax.  If your admissions offer isn't specified as contingent... then it isn't. Read the fine print before worrying.

In the mean time, consider getting a completely different approach for Organic Chemistry.  No matter what your learning style, there are some options to help you with OChem.

Like others have said - depends on the pre-req requirement.  If it's just a matter of a bad grade, don't sweat it.  If your school requires a minimum grade and you don't meet it - they probably will rescind the offer.  If you are finishing it this fall and don't make the cut, take it again in the spring and you'd probably be fine.

I was finishing a pre-req that required at least a B- and was finishing 2 weeks before my program started so I had no such option and I worried just like you are.  Based on some happenings at my program, I'm confident they would have let people go if grade requirements were not met.

My acceptance letter says my acceptance is contingent on completion of courses xyz with a grade of c or better. If it's not a pre req for your program don't sweat it, assuming a D won't drop your cumulative GPA below the minimum requirement for the school. If it is a required course, I would do everything in my power to not take it next semester. Whether that's drawing mechanism 1000 times to get them down or going to every minute of office hours, I would find a way to get the C. If it's mathematically possible to get a C, do it. You made it this far and you don't want to see if go away over one class. I say do your best not to retake it because you don't want the same stress looming over you next semester. Better to get it out of the way now than stressing over orgo for another semester. If it's mathematically possible to get the grade you need, put your head down for the next few weeks and punch your orgo final in the face and walk out ready to start PA school!

Archived