Sign in to follow this  
pancakes

A&P vs. 300 level anatomy course help!!

Hello everyone.

I graduated in May of this year where I had to take Human Physiology and lab for my neuroscience concentration. I took this in the fall of last year. With one semester left in my undergrad, I had planned on taking Vertebrate Anatomy, but at the last second, the biology department cancelled the class due to a lack of registered students. I had no time to take A&P 1 or 2 at that point, so I took microbiology instead. 

I'm currently taking A&P1 and lab at a community college and plan on taking A&P2 and lab at the same community college next semester. I had done my research on the pre-reqs required for PA schools, and I even emailed the schools that I was interested in asking if the A&P sequence would substitute for their required anatomy course. 

For some reason, I had not reached out to one school that I had already applied to, and I got an email from them today asking if I was planning on taking a 300 level anatomy course. I asked if A&P would substitute, and they said that they need the class to be taken from a 4 year university.

I am so stuck on what to do because as we all know, community college is a good way to save money and I am so close to being done with this pre-req that's required of every other school. At the same time, there is no guarantee that if I do take the 300 level anatomy course that I'd even get an interview or acceptance from this school. I already applied to the school and sent in a supplemental, so I'm thinking that maybe I should save the money I'd use for that anatomy course to reapply to other schools in the next cycle. But then again, because I already have the one semester of Human Physiology, maybe taking the one semester of Human Anatomy wouldn't be a bad idea.

Any and all opinions would be helpful.

All of the schools I have looked at accept A&P from a community college. Unless this is a school you absolutely want to attend, I would just move on and apply to the many other schools that will take your credits.

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By UoUTheGrad
      Hi guys, I'm in a predicament in which I have to take 3 summer classes Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 as well as Biochemistry (pre-reqs) for graduation purposes. Will it affect me if I take them in a CC? I have to because most 4 years offering the course have time constraints, and I won't be able to take all 3. I need a second opinion thank you.
    • By jesserae
      Hello!
      I Pre-Pa majoring in cell and molecular biology. My school offers an online course in medical terminology over the summer and I'm considering taking it (the course is not required for my degree). In your experience, is this a useful course and is it worth taking? 
      Thank you for any advice!
    • By jewelmidori
      I think it's been about 8 years since I took my microbiology course. All other prerequisite courses were taken within the last 5 years.
      3.7 GPA, haven't taken the GED yet and I work as a phlebotomist for PCE. I have one hospitalist PA that I've shadowed for about 3 hours so far. If I get a good score on the GED, get more shadowing hours in, keep on with my PCE hours, and send in an otherwise compelling application; would they possibly overlook that the microbiology course wasn't taken recently? Has anyone had something like this happen?

• By ZackDpa
      I am in the final few weeks of my freshman year of college. I came in pre-nursing but realized I wasn't cut out for it. I got a 3.16 GPA first semester, and second semester has been a complete disaster, Biology, and anatomy I am barely passing, but nutrition and psychology I should be able to 4.0. I plan on retaking bio and anatomy, but with a 3.0 GPA freshman year is it possible to build up my GPA enough to get into PA school? Also, I am deciding what major to choose for my undergrad since Pre-nursing isn't a major, I was thinking kinesiology but I'm not sure.  I am trying to work as a CNA in the summer and working with a non-profit to put on my apps. Sorry for the information overload but I am scared I won't be able to get in any programs and be stuck with a useless degree. Any words of encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated!
    • By caj23
      Hey guys! I'm applying to Texas Pa schools and only one of them requires Ochem 2. Well, the first time i took ochem 1 i got a D+ then i retook it (worked really hard) and made an A. Because of how challenging it was im not really wanting to take ochem 2 (plus it would make me graduate late). However, at my school the ochem 1&2 labs are grouped together into one course so i cant get just an ochem 1 lab credit. This summer there is a class offered at the community college but the ochem lab is graded into the ochem 1 grade so i have to take the lecture and lab together. Would this look weird taking ochem 1 a third time just for the lab component? Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More